Bell to buy MTS for $3.9 billion (approved) - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-08-30, 12:46 PM

So currently if you have an MTS gateway, whole home PVR and a second tv box you pay $3/month. Using the Bell prices announced for their 4K service the same hardware would cost $22/month.

That said, the CRTC opened comments on BCE's purchase of MTS today. The scope of their review though is limited to tv offerings (BDUs) in the most urban of markets, ie Winnipeg and Brandon. Rural cable systems operated by MTS are exempt and will remain exempt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-08-30, 02:40 PM

Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2016-349
Application 2016-0602-1 (ZIP file containing MS Word doc and PDFs)

Deadline for submission of interventions/comments/answers: 4 October 2016

Application by MTS Inc. for a change in the ownership of the terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertaking (BDU) serving Winnipeg and surrounding areas to Bell Canada.

"Pursuant to Simplified approach to tangible benefits and determining the value of the transaction, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2014-459, 5 September 2014, no tangible benefits were proposed."
post #93 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-08-30, 02:59 PM

The important approval will be by Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) regarding the removal of MTS as the biggest wireless competitor to the big three in Manitoba. That is our only hope. I doubt that the CRTC will block the TV portion of the deal.

post #94 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-08-30, 04:30 PM

I personally think the Competition Bureau is a bigger hope than ISED. The scope of ISED is limited to spectrum allocations where the Competition Bureau can look at the impact on the wireless service market as a whole. It is not disputed that the BCE deal as purposed will result in a significant reduction in competition and new barriers to entry, both conditions that do not exist in the MB wireless market. Both are also specifically areas that the Competition Bureau has experience looking for and addressing. A possible outcome is they require the 1/3 transfer that was purposed to Telus instead be transferred to someone other than Bell, Telus or Rogers. That would come close to maintaining the current market conditions but move BCE from a minority market position to a majority market position.
post #95 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-09-27, 05:32 PM

Bell MTS to accelerate Winnipeg's "Innovation Alley" with Canada's fastest broadband Internet and wireless services

Bell and MTS today announced a transformative investment in Manitoba's digital economy with plans to bring the most advanced broadband and wireless services available to Innovation Alley, the growing community of innovators, entrepreneurs and artists in downtown Winnipeg. Innovation Alley is a hub for innovators, entrepreneurs, students and artists covering 4 city blocks in Winnipeg's West Exchange District.

With this new 3-year Bell MTS sponsorship, Innovation Alley will be the launch point for deployment of Gigabit Fibe Internet and LTE-Advanced wireless following the closing of the Bell MTS transaction.
post #96 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-09-28, 10:19 AM
tux

Well, that sounds worth it. Less competition and higher prices across the board, in return for one extra cell phone tower downtown and gigabit fiber to 4 city blocks. I'm convinced.
post #97 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-09-28, 10:52 AM
Veteran

That's Bell all the way. Roll out a high profile upgrade in a high profile, high profit area while leaving 90% of their customers with substandard service. Bell is rolling out FTTH (replacing FTTN) in downtown Toronto while much of the province and parts of major cities are still on 6Mbps twisted pair. Many can't even get that. Fibre to major institutions here was funded by the province, not Bell. But then we are only the 6th largest city in Canada and a major regional center. I guess that doesn't count when it comes to investment.
denben73, Wheelman and winnipeg305 like this.
post #98 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-09-28, 10:25 PM

Again, it's all about greed. If Industry Canada and the CRTC sign off on this, I'm out. Already OTA for TV, I can give up my cell. Voicemail from MagicJack will still come to the phone through wifi. I'll pay for Internet only.
Done
Wheelman likes this.
post #99 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Bell MTS to accelerate Winnipeg's "Innovation Alley" with Canada's fastest broadband Internet and wireless services

Bell and MTS today announced a transformative investment in Manitoba's digital economy with plans to bring the most advanced broadband and wireless services available to Innovation Alley, the growing community of innovators, entrepreneurs and artists in downtown Winnipeg. Innovation Alley is a hub for innovators, entrepreneurs, students and artists covering 4 city blocks in Winnipeg's West Exchange District.

With this new 3-year Bell MTS sponsorship, Innovation Alley will be the launch point for deployment of Gigabit Fibe Internet and LTE-Advanced wireless following the closing of the Bell MTS transaction.
There was a bit of irony percolating below the surface at the splashy Bell MTS announcement this week about super-fast broadband coming to Innovation Alley.

The fact is a number of downtown businesses, including many right there on Innovation Alley, are already getting very high-speed Internet service — even faster than what George Cope, CEO of Bell Canada, promised it will be providing at the well-attended Innovation Alley block party Tuesday.

But they’re not getting it from MTS or Shaw, the two dominant Internet service providers in Manitoba.

They are getting it from a small Winnipeg company called Les.net.

The brainchild of Les Bester, Les.net has been providing phone service to more than 2,000 Manitoba customers for several years.

More recently, his tiny do-it-yourself telco has become the Winnipeg connection for Hurricane Electric, one of the largest global Internet backbone wholesale sellers.

Bester has personally laid fibre-optic cables for Les.net connecting to about 30 buildings in downtown Winnipeg. One Winnipeg businessperson who knows him said, "Bester is the pitcher, first baseman and plays centre field" — and the company now has close to 100 customers with high-speed Internet service of up to 100 gigabites. Bell’s Gigabit Fibe Internet service is one gigabit.

Good, better, Bester - Winnipeg Free Press
Dr.Dave and Wheelman like this.
post #100 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 12:30 PM

Very interesting - it's definitely worth reading the whole article in the link.

Later it mentions that "Bester did the installation and was providing the service to North Forge for free" but temporarily pulled the plug on his Innovation Alley clients until his contributions were acknowledged.

I didn't mean for that to sound as negative as it does - kudos to the guy for quietly supporting startups without all the PR hype that big corps do.

At least with Bell MTS making it an official sponsorship for 3 years, it won't be randomly pulled. All these "announcements" are just part of Bell's campaign to get the deal approved.
post #101 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 12:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
More recently, his tiny do-it-yourself telco has become the Winnipeg connection for Hurricane Electric, one of the largest global Internet backbone wholesale sellers.
I assume this means les.net customers have IPv6. Hurricane Electric is one of the largest, if not the largest, IPv6 providers in the world.
Wheelman likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #102 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-10-02, 03:18 PM

I always thought that HE had their POP in the Exchange Groups global data center in the Grain Exchange Building and then connected to everybody else through the Winnipeg Internet Exchange in the same building.
post #103 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-10-03, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
I always thought that HE had their POP in the Exchange Groups global data center in the Grain Exchange Building and then connected to everybody else through the Winnipeg Internet Exchange in the same building.
HE's PoP is in the Grain Exchange building (Hurricane Electric POPs in Winnipeg) and they are connected to both IXs in the city, MBIX (Manitoba Internet Exchange) and WPGIX (WPG-IX | Winnipeg Internet Exchange). As I understand it, Les.net put in the committed order required for HE to open a PoP here, they were otherwise going to bypass the city.
post #104 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-10-03, 10:13 PM

I'm watching this very closely....here in Atlantic Canada things are like this: Bell Aliant which used to be just called Aliant is a separate division owned by Bell Canada. Sure, we get alot of Bell products here, but when it comes to things like the Home Hub 3000 modem Bell has been advertising this for months and Bell Aliant is just soon going to add this modem, who knows when though. We don't get every Bell product that Ontario and Quebec get, and our plans and pricing ARE different. I suspect with Bell MTS it will be very similiar to Bell Aliant in the future. The products that they roll out such as 4 K, Fibe TV, and Gigabit Internet are just normal for here too under the BA branding, not to mention Bell Wireless which is branded as Bell. At the end of the day, Bell is still Bell, Bell Aliant is still Bell Aliant and I suspect Bell MTS will still be Bell MTS.. They will just be all owned by Bell Canada and remain separate divisions.

That being said there was speculation that Bell Aliant could become one big division some day with Bell (renaming it to Bell), but it hasn't happened yet if at all.
gbaccus likes this.

Last edited by wmjfoley85; 2016-10-03 at 10:38 PM.
post #105 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-10-28, 04:20 PM

What to expect if this goes through:
Cellphone use surges, so do bills. Canadians call for an end to data caps - Business - CBC News
Quote:
None of the big three Canadian telcos — Rogers, Bell and Telus — offer cellphone plans with unlimited data.

But in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, where there's more competition, customers can get unlimited deals at what some would deem a reasonable price.
If the CRTC and Industry Canada approve this sale there's nothing left to say. They are just a mouthpiece put in place to support the BDU's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in