Bell to buy MTS for $3.9 billion (approved) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-02, 08:33 PM

Here's a comparison of MTS & Bell regular internet prices (not including promos or bundle discounts.)

Mbps MTS Bell
10 $62.00
15 $64.95
25 $67.00 $69.95
50 $85.00 $79.95
100 $140.00
150 $89.95
250 $280.00
300 $99.95
940 $149.95
CoryB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 01:29 AM

I guess Data caps, and overage charges are coming to DSL customers in Manitoba.
post #18 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 08:35 AM
Veteran

@cslusarc : Not necessarily. Bell also owns Bell-Aliant here in Atlantic Canada. There are no caps on our usage nor any extra charges. When I look at the chart posted by Dr Dave I have trouble seeing any concerns on internet pricing. Bell seems to offer more speed options and frankly is cheaper than MTS at most points of comparison. I do agree however that Bell has lousy customer service. That seems to be the norm with all of our BDUs.

post #19 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 03:20 PM
Veteran

It seems that Bell does have better prices at the 100+Gbps speeds. However, their data caps are fairly low, with large charges for overage, until the 300Gbps plan. The only unlimited plan is the Gigabit Fibe which is available to few households because there is very little FTTH installed outside of the former Bell Aliant areas in the Maritimes. On all other plans, unlimited data costs $15/mo extra. That pushes unlimited 50Gbps Fibe up to almost $95 vs $85 for MTS.
post #20 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 05:25 PM

Well nothing is certain yet. The competition bureau, CRTC, or Feds could tell Bell hell no. It is contrary to recent Federal policy regarding competition from at least 4 companies in every region.
post #21 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 06:41 PM

These huge companies don't make billion dollar announcements cavalierly. All the behind the scenes work has already been completed in regards to the The competition bureau, CRTC, or Feds. It is a done deal.
post #22 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-03, 06:52 PM
Veteran

Although I don't know that much about MTS, I do believe their Fibe TV receivers are the same make/models as Bell Fibe receivers?So at least that part you won't need to worry. True MTS has some different APPS and features compared to Bell Fibe's? As if any changes come to MTS Fibe TV service in regardless to features,APPS or channels that I can't answer. As for prices for TV & packages I'm not sure of MTS TV prices vs Bell's Fibe prices or packages are?

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #23 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-04, 02:39 AM
Veteran

Bell will have a good idea of what will be acceptable but it is by no means a done deal. Bell and MTS do not compete in Manitoba so reducing competition won't be as big issue. Bell will need to show some benefits due to the acquisition. The investment announcement should take care of that. Whether they live up to it in the long run is another issue. The tendency for BDUs and ISPs is to carry through with investment promises in highly profitable areas and fail to follow through in less profitable areas with low income residents and lower population densities.
post #24 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-04, 03:15 PM

Exdillbert yes they do bell satellite and mobile services through Virgin Mobile Canada and Bell Mobility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)
post #25 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-04, 04:27 PM

Um yes MTS and Bell do compete as mentioned before. MTS TV competes with Bell Satellite and they definitely compete in wireless as Bell is offered through Virgin Mobile, Bell Mobility, and also PC Mobile (if that even still exists). If this goes through then instead of having a choice between Telus, Rogers, MTS, or Bell, we'll only have 3 choices. I believe that if it is to be approved it needs to be that Wind/Shaw NOT Bell's bosom buddy Telus, that goes the wireless spectrum and customers. That is the only way to meet the 4 wireless providers policy set by the feds a while ago and the only way to have some actual competition. As it is it seems that Bell, Rogers, and Telus are in bed together. If this goes through as is then the chances we ever get Wind will be very slim and that isn't good. The more the merrier!

Stecle, I disagree, they still have to go through Industry Canada and the CRTC who may not allow this to go through. Hell the CRTC previously did not allow Bell to buy Astral Media. Nothing is certain yet, if it was why bother mentioning the competition bureau at all and why even bother going through with that?
post #26 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-04, 05:34 PM
Veteran

I was thinking IPTV and internet but wireless is definitely an issue. I guess that's why Bell already planned to divest the wireless.

Quote:
Bell, Rogers, and Telus are in bed together.
And Shaw isn't? Rogers and Shaw have had a non-compete agreement on cable services for many years. Shaw is no better than the others. The only difference is that Shaw missed the boat on getting into wireless. Now that they have acquired Wind, Shaw will be more like the rest. Acquiring MTS wireless would be a good fit for Shaw. It's too bad they missed the boat on that one as well.
post #27 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-04, 07:46 PM

I have worked in this industry for over 16 years. All the major players know each other well. I guarantee you that there were conversations between the CRTC and BELL long before this was announced. I have been in on many of these types of conversations over the years.

Bell is not in the habit of making billion dollar announcements only to get embarrassed later. I guarantee that this deal will stand, however I will concede that there may be minor tweaks before the dust settles.
post #28 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-04, 11:02 PM

The problem is that Bell and Telus have not exactly developed a broad wireless network in Manitoba. Places like Winkler and any place east of Winnipeg are dead zones.
post #29 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-05, 08:43 AM
Veteran

Does anyone know if this means that Bell might expand Fibe TV (anytime soon) into the older established neighborhoods where currently Fibe TV is not offered?
post #30 of 138 (permalink) Old 2016-05-05, 10:37 AM

Bell to buy MTS for $3.9 billion

I just read a comment on MTS community forum apparently MTS and Rogers wireless network sharing agreement ends March 31 2031.

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in