Bandwidth TV/Internet - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-01, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Bandwidth TV/Internet

Morning all I know this has been brought up before but notice on the MTS website that only lighting 50 will slow down somewhat with TV service so if you have lighting 25 it will not I am talking on the VDSL2 side of it lol?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-05, 04:17 PM

I think I'm understanding your question. I believe when they cancelled Lightning Bolt (32 shared with TV) & SuperMax (25 dedicated) the new 10 & 20 plans were dedicated speeds. They later bumped it to 25.

I don't remember hearing that Lightning 50 was shared. Good to know! I remember mentioning to people grandfathered on Bolt that the dedicated 20 was similarly priced but probably better suited as it wasn't shared. Some switched right away, but I've seen people online saying they'd keep Bolt as long as possible. Sometimes the fastest overall speed isn't the best.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-09, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Morning Yes they say on MTS website the lighting 50 is shared with tv but don't say anything on the lighting 25 I would think it would be as well.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-09, 10:00 AM

I believe almost all lines can support 25 Mbps + TV, so there wouldn't any need for sharing. MTS will bond 2 lines to provide the necessary speed if needed, but there is significant extra cost - 2 copper lines to the fibre-optic node and 2 line cards in the node.

The attainable line speed depends mainly on the distance from your home to the node (the length of the copper wire) and also the thickness and condition of the line.

For example, I live close enough to the node to get about 75 Mbps on a single line, so if I ordered 50 Mbps internet, there would be enough capacity for me to have all TV streams active and still maintain a constant 50 Mbps internet speed. If I lived slightly further away and the attainable line speed was below 70 Mbps, I would see a maximum speed slightly below 50 Mbps if I had all 3HD streams active. MTS wouldn't authorize a bonded line in that situation. However, if I lived considerably further away and I ordered 50 Mbps internet and TV, MTS would probably authorize a bonded line, assuming the extra line and space in the cabinet was available.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-03-09 at 08:16 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

That makes sense no matter lol moving to a town that only can do asdl now any how
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 04:33 PM

Virtually every residential installation has 2 pairs of copper lines running to the property already so if pair bonding was needed the extra costs are just at the node level.

In terms of speeds with Lighting25 I believe it is shared but only when needed. That would mean if you are eligible for Lighting50 without pair bonding (aka most of where it is offered) they could run a dedicated Lighting25 and have an extra 25+ available for only tv service. Where some lines might hit a maximum of say 32 then if you run Lighting25 over it and have three live tv streams going you start cutting into the Internet rate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-26, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Virtually every residential installation has 2 pairs of copper lines running to the property already so if pair bonding was needed the extra costs are just at the node level.
In the case of overhead wiring, the 2 pairs go from the house to the utility pole. One pair is connected and actually in use. In the event of line quality problems between the central office or node and the utility pole connection, the lineman tries to find a "spare pair" that actually works to use instead. Based on my experience in the past, spare pairs aren't always available.

Another example: I switched from Shaw to MTS Classic TV, back to Shaw because I wanted a PVR and then to MTS Ultimate TV. On one of the switches to MTS TV, an MTS lineman came and installed an entire new line all the way from my existing drop that I was using for MTS phone to the node, about a week before the install date, presumably because there weren't any existing pairs that could be used.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in