5168N Router New Firewall Setting Added? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgordos

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2015-10-15, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

5168N Router New Firewall Setting Added?

Anyone know how long the advanced configuration tab under firewall settings has been there? You can now enable UPNP and I know that that option was not available before. I have noticed problems with my NAT in the last week or so and after enabling allow UPNP in that tab I am back to open NAT. Just wondering if anyone knows when MTS added this option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2015-10-18, 10:39 AM

I believe the new firmware started being rolled out a few weeks ago in stages, not just a broad rollout. I don't exactly know what it's called now, but when you say open NAT, I'm guessing that's what it is. It used to be there were 1024 sessions, which seemed to be a problem with things like torrents. If the program was setup wrong, the torrents would saturate the connection. So people would call in, they'd send a tech, and then the tech has to explain to them that the service is fine, it's their equipment causing the problem.

But I'm thinking this was a huge issue. But what I'd like to know is how open NAT is any better if a connection can still be saturated? I'm not an expert, I just have 9 years of hands-on experience installing and repairing it.

There are also other options in the router, like guest wifi, if that interests you.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2015-10-19, 05:01 PM

Still no true bridge full bypass of the router?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2015-10-20, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

There IS a way to bridge your router now!! Under settings click broadband, then link configuration and at the bottom of that page there is a routing heading that has a check box that when unchecked puts the router into bridge mode. There are actually a lot of new settings available on the link configuration page.
ertyu likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in