Two xbox 1s with OPEN NAT on both? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-09-29, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Two xbox 1s with OPEN NAT on both?

Wondering if anyone has successfully got two xbox ones on the same MTS network to work and both indicate an OPEN NAT status on each machine? I've tried a variety of things I've found searching around but have no luck. Also I can't seem to be able to find a UPnP option to enable on my 5168N router. I'm subscribed to the Fibre optic internet/tv. Lightning 50 I believe. Any help or guidance would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-09-29, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I should add also that I have a DIR-865L router upstairs as well acting as an AP. I for a brief time thought I had this figured out and had both Xbox 1s running off that router but eventually it wound up reverting back to OPEN nat on one xbox and STRICT on the other. Also, my transfer rates were cut in half until I configured my 865 to be an access point. So the network speed is great now but I can't have both xbox machines each having OPEN Nat. I really need some help on this as my son and I love to play online together but yelling back and forth between rooms and disconnects gets frustrating.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-10-13, 07:55 PM
Rookie

the dir-865l router is your problem....dlink routers that i have used such as the model you use are garbage. I suggest going to netgear 6250 router or better...have your mts gateway provisioned, turn off the wireless on the gateway and connect the netgear and bingo you are in business!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-10-15, 10:00 AM

I recently noticed (last week or so) that my 2 PS3s NAT type switched from open to moderate. I had changed nothing in my set up and couldn't understand what had happened. I also have the 5168N from MTS and know that there was no setting to enable UPNP on that router. Today I went in to the router settings to check out if there were any noticeable changes that would explain what was going on and was surprised to see that under the firewall settings there is now an advanced configuration setting tab that allows you to enable UPNP. (I was actually in there because I was going to try to put one of the consoles into DMZ) I checked the enable UPNP and the enable UPNP port forwarding boxes and left all the other boxes at the default and viola, my NAT on both PS3s is open again and the enable UPNP setting on my PS3 network settings finally shows available when I do a connection test (since I got MTS over a year ago this has always shown up as NOT available). Again this change under the firewall settings must be fairly recent, so you might want to check the router firewall settings page again and see if you can now enable UPNP.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2015-10-18, 11:17 AM

Yeah, they started rolling out a firmware update on the 5168's (and possibly the 3801's?) with some new features.

I noticed in the old firmware, under NAT, there was X/1024 NAT sessions (where X=available sessions) but this is now gone on the new firmware. Would like to get an explanation as to why they changed it. My guess is that too many people were using too many at a time. Apparently 700 or less available meant something on your local network meant something like torrents were hogging bandwidth.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in