MTS announces date of CDMA Shutdown - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 2015-08-10, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

MTS announces date of CDMA Shutdown

MTS has announced that by the end of 2016 there will be no more CDMA service in Manitoba.

First site to shut down in June 2015 will be in the area of Portage Ave and Westwood Dr. in Winnipeg

Here is the MTS web page announcing the shutdown and I am guessing that they will be updating the locations of CDMA towers going dark.

https://www.mts.ca/mts/support/servi...nges+in+canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 2015-08-11, 04:31 AM
tux

I wonder how many people this will actually affect? MTS's HSPA coverage seems to mirror their CDMA coverage, I don't think they've offered CDMA plans for a while, and they only carry one CDMA device, an old Blackberry.

Anybody who's bought into the "latest phone" craze, uses a lot of data, travels outside Manitoba, switches carriers or has had to replace their phone will likely have switched over to HSPA+ or LTE by now.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 2015-08-11, 02:59 PM

I suspect this will affect quite a few people that signed up with the original free cell service bundle which was CDMA-only. A lot of people don't have smart phones and just continue with the same plan and phone. I realize quite a few of those original subscribers have migrated to smartphones and HSPA+ or LTE, but some people just need voice and texting.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 2015-08-11, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

It will also effect anybody that has CDMA GM Onstar service in pre 2015 vehicles

There is supposedly an upgrade that OnStar is putting out in a staggered basis across Canada as all the providers have different terminations for CDMA. Also it sound like there will be a new telephone number assigned to you if you take the upgrade.

Details from what I have seen online are still being worked out.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-09-23, 02:57 PM

Any updates on CDMA status for MTS?

SBGH @ 46' for locals, Wingard HD7698P pointed south for US channels.
HDHomerun receivers, extend and connect.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-09-25, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

The link for MTS CDMA shutdown has been removed by MTS so I am not sure what there schedule is now.
Cham likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 2016-09-28, 01:11 PM

Noted here as well. Maybe they are backing off on cutting CDMA service for the time being. A lot of devices require the service for things such as remote monitoring etc, and many of those devices are operated by the Province...

SBGH @ 46' for locals, Wingard HD7698P pointed south for US channels.
HDHomerun receivers, extend and connect.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 07:25 PM

www.mts.ca/cdma
Quote:
Will I still be able to use the CDMA network inside Manitoba?
Yes, you will still be able to use the CDMA network inside of Manitoba in most areas. To ensure the best wireless service, we encourage you to upgrade your phone to the HSPA/LTE network.
CDMA roaming shutdown
January 31, 2017 - Alberta and British Columbia, Gaspé Peninsula and some regions of Eastern Quebec
May 1, 2017 - Saskatchewan
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-03-30, 05:33 PM

EVDO Network Changes
Quote:
Effective May 1, 2017 we will be shutting down a portion of our CDMA data service, also known as our EVDO Wireless Network, in order to make enhancements to our LTE Network.

These changes will only affect you if you use the EVDO network to access wireless data.

You will still have access to wireless data, but may experience slower data speeds while browsing. Your voice and text messaging services will not be impacted.
More info: https://www3.mts.ca/mts/support/serv...etwork+changes
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-10-28, 12:47 PM

December 1, 2017
Voice, text and data service for CDMA customers. Customers roaming in the United States or any country outside of Canada will no longer receive service after December 1, 2017.

www.bellmts.ca/cdma

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-02-03 at 12:45 PM. Reason: updated link
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-10-30, 08:25 AM
Veteran

I tried the link and it was a re-directing me to: www.bellmts.ca/cdma probably because they are now called BellMTS but they were called MTS when they announced the shutdown hence the "old" url haha. Anyways, the new URL is: www.bellmts.ca/cdma
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 2017-10-30, 12:44 PM

Good point. I copied the link from post 8 and forgot about the "bell" part. I didn't copy the browser address like I usually do because it redirected to a convoluted link similar to post 9.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-02-03, 01:36 PM

MTS has updated the CDMA page. All CDMA service will end April 30, 2019.

Some areas have degraded service now and several communities outside Winnipeg will experience "degraded service for voice (including 911), text and data for CDMA customers" beginning April 1.

Roaming outside of Manitoba will also end on April 30.

How do I know if my current device is CDMA?
Quote:
One of the easiest ways to determine what network your phone is currently using is to check the top corner of the screen next to the wireless network coverage bars. If you have a CDMA device it will display either 1XEV or 1X depending on the data coverage. If you have a SIM card, you do not have a CDMA device.
This will affect people who took advantage of the free cell phone service in a bundle with home phone, TV and internet around 2010. Those phones were CDMA and I know people are still using the same phones. My understanding is that the grandfathered plans aren't transferable once your replace the CDMA phone, but we'll have to see if Bell MTS offers any special retention offers to those customers.

Bell Canada also announced they will be ending CDMA service in the rest of Canada on April 30. See related thread:
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/28-...down-soon.html

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-02-03 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-02-03, 04:39 PM
Veteran

cool, I would have thought people started calling it Bell MTS by now I guess people still like to refer to it as MTS
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-02-04, 08:32 AM
Veteran

Strange enough this Sub forum should also be renamed and merged with the Bell Forum, just like how the Bell Aliant is. Oh well. Guess that will never happen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in