MTS announces date of CDMA Shutdown - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 04:31 PM

Honestly I find it easier to refer to it as “MTS” while sometimes I will say Bell MTS, Pretty much everyone in Manitoba knows it as MTS or BellMTS so it really doesn’t matter what you call it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-02-07, 08:16 AM
Veteran

I feel it should not only be renamed to Bell MTS but grouped with the other Bell sub forums such as Bell Alient and Bell Alarm force too. Why have it a separate forum? its related now by ownership so join them together, makes sense, maybe the person whos job is it to organize this forum has been away or on extended vacation and has not noticed the forum can use a re-org
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-02-07, 09:48 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Although it's not a difficult job to rearrange the forums here (or rename them, etc) this adversely affects search engines like Google (Altering the forum title alters the URL of every single thread within, which Google hates.), therefore VS keeps the changes to a minimum and only when absolutely necessary.

Perhaps someone from VS will provide additional information, but that's the gist of why minor changes are not made.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-03-12, 04:45 PM

Bell is mailing out replacement cellphones and SIM cards at no charge for those people still using CDMA. If you've held out this long, you can probably keep your existing grandfathered postpaid plan at the same price (contrary to what they've said in the past.) If you want to upgrade anything, you will probably have to choose from one of the current Bell plans. I'm not sure about prepaid.

BTW I don't know of anyone that says Bell MTS in casual conversation - everyone says MTS. Just like people in Ontario just say "Bell," they don't say "Bell Canada."
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-03-13, 10:54 AM
Veteran

That is great news, please hurry up and dismantle old technologies like CDMA ASAP.
On another note, Everyone in Ontario who talks about Bell MTS calls it Bell MTS and not MTS. Everyone in Ontario who talks about Bell Aliant, calls it Bell Aliant, and not Aliant. Thanks for sharing the views of a Manitoban.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-03-13, 03:44 PM
Veteran

Maybe the reason to keep it separate is to stay under the radar of those more eastern types. 😂
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-03-13, 11:35 PM

MTS announces date of CDMA Shutdown

Why would people in Ontario have any reason to talk about Bell MTS or Bell Aliant? Majority of Manitobans refer to Bell MTS as Dr. Dave said.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-03-14, 01:13 PM
Veteran

There actually exist people like me from Ontario who do not care about what happens in Ontario only, these people (Experts, just like me) want to learn about what's happening in ALL of Canada, including Manitoba, Alberta Saskatchetoon (that's a joke from the TV show Fugget about it incase you thought i was being ignorant) and etc. I want to learn and know about Bell MTS, as well as other regional providers, do you guys have a problem with that? I sure hope not. And I am also not lazy so If their official name is BELL MTS, I will call them that, not just MTS. Same with other providers I will use their proper legal name when ever it applies. There is nothing wrong with being correct. its funny how people give a hard time to people who use the "correct" name but give slack to the people who use the former or nickname.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-03-14, 01:14 PM

MTS announces date of CDMA Shutdown

What do you know about Winnipeg / Manitoba?

Are you familiar with MTS history or even Manitoba history as a province?

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-03-14, 01:38 PM
Veteran

I sure do, but I will not tell you it here because I do not want to de-rail from the original topic at discussion here because this happens a lot and that is why threads get locked or moved because of questions like those. but sure I would gladly sit down one day and have a nice lengthy phone call with you about what I know about winnipeg and manitoba if you are willing to have a chat on the phone with a random dude from the internet about it. by the way you have to be the one to call me (LD) since you brought it up.
gordon1111 likes this.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-03-14, 02:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
What do you know about Winnipeg / Manitoba?
They're beyond the boundaries of the known world.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 2019-04-09, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

While I was working evenings last week I heard a news report on one of the weekday radio talk shows that the shutdown is going to cause problems form some rural fire departments as they use CDMA cells for volunteer fire dispatch and once it goes there will be no replacement cell service in the areas the FD's serve.

According to what I heard one Rural Reeve was told by a BellMTS rep when he called to see what the RM could do to replace the missing service, that he should talk to the Provence and Federal Govt to provide money to put in replacement towers as BellMTS would not recover the cost of replacements from local subscriber billings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in