Text transmission delay - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Text transmission delay

My wife and I both have non-data plans for our Samsung Galaxy Core phones.
She exchanges texts frequently with her friends, and as far as we know, they usually get sent immediately.

Yesterday was one of the exceptions.
She sent me texts at 2:28 PM, 2:33 PM, 5:55 PM and 6:01 PM.
None of them arrived immediately.

Finally, at 6:08 PM I received the first two, and the second two at 6:09 PM.

This behaviour has happened before, but not frequently.
Does anyone have an explanation for this delay?

Dave S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 03:58 PM
tux

Text messages are like email. Although they will often arrive right away, there can be significant delays between the sender sending and the recipient receiving. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Unreliability

Unlike dedicated texting systems like the Simple Network Paging Protocol and Motorola's ReFLEX protocol, SMS message delivery is not guaranteed, and many implementations provide no mechanism through which a sender can determine whether an SMS message has been delivered in a timely manner. SMS messages are generally treated as lower-priority traffic than voice, and various studies have shown that around 1% to 5% of messages are lost entirely, even during normal operation conditions, and others may not be delivered until long after their relevance has passed. The use of SMS as an emergency notification service in particular has been starkly criticized.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 04:55 PM

It is a very unreliable service, across all carriers, considering the cost some pay for it.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 09:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschell_2000 View Post
This behaviour has happened before, but not frequently.
Does anyone have an explanation for this delay?
Dave S.
Only your provider can know for sure...but most likely one or the other user or both were being served by sites experiencing congestion at the time.
SMS messages are extremely lightweight, compared to other services and shouldn't consume very much in the way of resources...basically amounts to nothing more than a quick blurb of signaling.

Delay should generally be much more common when messages are exchanged between users of different operators.
Obviously that was not the case here between you and your wife, so maybe you should call your provider and ask them
if there has been any other problems reported in your area.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-07-02, 09:10 AM

I often get text messages arriving 4-6 hours after they were sent with MTS. Once I got two messages sent three days before. Not a reliable service for real-time messaging if that is required. Best to call and leave a voice mail... but that can take 2 hours for the receiving party to get an alert. Of course this is Manitoba, what can we expect?

SBGH @ 46' for locals, Wingard HD7698P pointed south for US channels.
HDHomerun receivers, extend and connect.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-07-04, 10:30 AM

Two hours for a voice mail indicator on MTS? Was that on the old voice mail system that was replaced a few years ago, their new one seems to be reliable.

I have never had more than a 2 minute wait for notification and that's with having a combined voice mailbox. Usually there is a bit of a lag between my cell and landline showing their notifications, but they are within 2 minutes of each other.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-07-06, 11:00 AM

We get frequent calls that go directly to VM with no indication of a caller and the VM notification can take hours and (rarely) days.

TXT is the same...

This is within Winnipeg, regardless of the area of the city.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in