MTS MyPlan - Wireless - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

MTS MyPlan - Wireless

Looks like MTS has launched a new way that you create your wireless plan... you "build" it to customize what is important to you. Looks nice....

Also noticed that their data "limits" are now Canada wide data limits... previously many plans had a 400MB Canada wide limit with larger MB only data limits.... will be nice for travelling (across Canada).

Last edited by Vader; 2015-03-20 at 05:01 PM. Reason: added (across Canada)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-03-20, 02:32 PM

There is some good information in response to some questions on their Community Forum, such as being able to switch to one of these plans, and bundle discounts, etc. I have to look it over and see if it would work to my benefit.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-03-29, 09:44 AM
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
I switched to My Plan on the 20th. I lost 500 daytime minutes, but gained Canada wide data roaming and international texting.

MY only concerns with these new plans is that its separated into Base Features rate + Minutes rate + data rate. Knowing from past Cell phone contracts....they are able to adjust optional features rate at any time....so is this a ploy to be able to adjust the packages to rate increases by getting around the rules?

Just curious

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-04-13, 02:09 AM
Rookie

From looking at the MTS My Plan it loots like the ONLY WAY to tether your phone is if you pay 80$...or am I missing somethin...cuz that pretty much sucks...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-04-13, 02:55 AM

They used to allow tethering on the limited data plans (e.g. 5GB). Under the MyPlan, it doesn't say one way or the other, so you may have to ask MTS.

You can get a MyPlan with 100 Weekday local calling minutes and unlimited data with tethering for $70.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-04-13, 09:50 AM
Rookie

MTS said its all tethering except for the Flat Rate Canada Wide Data plan.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-04-13, 09:58 AM

Good to know. If you tether with one of the limited plans, keep a close eye on your data usage - it can add up pretty quickly.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-04-13, 02:30 PM

I've never tried tethering from my phone (a locked MTS phone) and I believe my plan says tethering is not included (the old unlimited plan.) I've heard that unlocked phones make it impossible for a provider to know if a phone is being tethered or not. What I also wonder is if I don't have tethering on my plan, will it just not work, or will I start being billed for it the moment I turn it on? Just looking for peoples hands-on experience. Thanks

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-04-29, 11:30 AM

Reportedly, if you tethered on a phone is sent a specific signal to the carrier so they could tweak their billing if they wanted. That said there are ways around that now and it could be harder for the carrier to catch. If you really need tethering though your best bet is either change to a plan that supports it or be prepared to pay the charge for service which isn't included.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2015-08-12, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Good to know. If you tether with one of the limited plans, keep a close eye on your data usage - it can add up pretty quickly.
You should keep your eye not only on capped plans but unlimited as well. Wasn't aware of the MTS Fair Use Policy. On my LTE unlimited MyPlan when I hit the 15GB mark they noted that they are going to throttle me down to 512kps. Was surprised to get a text yesterday advising me I was at 80% of my allocation for my unlimited plan. I guess I better make a more concerted effort to use wifi around the house for my streaming versus wireless. Too bad, wireless actually works much better on my back deck tethering my tablet to my iphone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in