Linksys Router drops signal frequently on MTS - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By majortom

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
Linksys Router drops signal frequently on MTS

I have a linksys router that I have used for years with no issues

I had Shaw internet for years and I had the Shaw Router connected to my Linksys router (Turned off the Shaw Wifi and used my own) and I never had an issue with my personal router for over 5 years.

I got MTS internet in May 2014...shut off the MTS WIFI....and my personal router loses it connection at least once a week....and now almost daily (when I try to connect my cell phone to it - everything in the house disconnects and cannot reconnect). The router itself still broadcasts and I get the no internet connection available message and the internet stops working. I have to unplug my linksys router and restart to get it to work again.

I know this isn't "supported" by MTS...so I have not asked them. But curious if other members on here have experienced this and what they did to get it to work. Is it because the IP address renews every couple of days and my router is having trouble? Just seems odd that I never had problems with Shaw, but always with MTS (I had MTS for 3 months in 2012 and had the same problem)

Thanks for any help or suggestions

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 10:35 PM

It might be because your router hasn't been reconfigured to work with MTS. In its factory configuration, a router plugged into another router creates what's called a double NAT. I'm not a networking expert, only self taught with 7 years experience installing MTS. I've seen MTS' generic instructions work, but others here have posted alternate ways too. If you look through this MTS section you'll find them fairly easily.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-14, 11:49 AM

I am not an expert on the subject but am an advocate for running a double NAT setup with MTS as it is easier for most users to setup and works most of the time. That said, I used to have a Linksys router which had no end of issues. I wasn't able to identify a specific cause and it is possible outside interface was partly to blame. That said, the Linksys has been replaced by another brand and the issues have become infrequent.

Something else to consider, it may also be possible to configure the router to reboot on a daily basis at a time it is not in use such as when everyone is away from home or sleeping. This may be a work around which solves the issue you are encountering.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-14, 04:16 PM

With that being said, it seems apple routers/airport express units are pretty good at detecting a double NAT and dealing with it, however they do(?)

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-15, 09:09 AM
Veteran

Don't know anything about your issue, but...
Which linksys router model is it?
Have ya ever used dd-wrt on the linksys router instead of the stock fw?.
gordon1111 likes this.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-03-29, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
Wow, sorry everyone. I did not give an update on this.

After I posted that question I have only had the problem happen about 2 to 3 times, compared to the once per week that was happening before. One of the solutions could be I switched from my S2 to my S5 phone around that time as well. Maybe the S2 didn't like my WIFI, I don't know.

Another problem could be because my router is like almost a decade old. I really should go out and replace it. As for dd-WRT if its something you have to enable...I probably haven't done that.

I did read all these replies in November, just sorry I didn't reply earlier Thanks for all your help.

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-04-06, 02:14 AM
Rookie

Had the same problem with a Linksys...first I had it plugged into a timer so it would reboot every once and a while...that didnt work because then it started loosing connection more...what made the problem pretty much disappear is giving the router a "rest" every few months...like just unplugging it for 12 to 24 hours to give it a breather and using an air duster once and while because dust can build up inside it causing heat and possibly making it lockup...and dont forget to use the air duster on your MTS DSL modem too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in