how to use 3rd party router with MTS TV and internet - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-09-25, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Talking how to use 3rd party router with MTS TV and internet

MTS BASICALLY TOLD ME WHAT I DID HERE WAS IMPOSSIBLE....YEA GOOD ADVISE THERE MTS

BUY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ROUTERS...OR ANY ROUTER SUPPORTED BY THE ASUS MERLIN 3RD PARTY FIRMWARE (DDWRT ROUTERS ARE SUPPORTED AS WELL »www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Se···_traffic )
RT-N16
RT-N66U
RT-AC66U
RT-AC56U
RT-AC68U
RT-AC87

NOW FOR THE SECOND PART
To put your 2Wire 3800HGV-B or Pace 5168N router into bridge mode, all you have to do is follow the steps below. (Please note: This procedure may or may not work with other models of 2Wire router, depending on what firmware those routers are running.)

1. Use your computer to get on the same network as your 2Wire router, either wireless or hardwired in with an Ethernet cable.

2. Go to your web browser and type in 192.168.1.254, which will take you to the 2WIRE administration page.

3. Log in with the password printed on the side of your router.

4. Go to Settings>System Info>Event Notifications, and check the box called “Router-Behind-Router Detection” then click “Save”.

5. Try to surf to any web page, and you will get a 2Wire warning asking you if you’re sure you want to configure your router. Just ignore the warning, tell it to go ahead and do the configuration.

6. Click on the “Home” tab at the top, then at the bottom, choose to “Restart Your System”. Make sure that your “router behind router detection” setting was saved through the restart.

7. now plug all the MTS STB's and pc ethernet cables into the asus router lan ports and plug a cable from the 2wire lan port 1 into the wan port on the asus router

8. next we need to change a couple settings in the asus router..otherwise the MTS STB's will cut out the channels after like 3-5 seconds...

9. login to the asus router and go to LAN---->IPTV...ENABLE MULTICAST ROUTING...AND ENABLE EFFICIENT MULTICAST FORWARDING..push apply..and you should be basically done...keep in mind you probably will have to unplug the STB's and plug them back into to get the new settings....and on your pc's probably will have to reset them or release the connection..and then renew it

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-09-26 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Removed link to another forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-09-26, 09:39 AM

Wait - this also works with TV? So technically you wouldn't need a box? I don't understand...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-09-26, 03:35 PM

Never heard anything like this before. Will be interested to see what others have to say about it. I'll have to check for this Router behind router setting. I have access to a special Tech login screen on the 2wire/Pace boxes which reveal more settings, but I've never seen anything like that in 7 years. May I ask where or how you found out about this? I hope this doesn't cause a bunch of people's services to get knocked out causing truck rolls, as I'm sure the company wouldn't be impressed.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-09-26, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

yes it works for tv as well
however you do still need the mts 2wire router to plug the mts phone line in...I suppose you could buy your own dsl modem..and it would work..I haven't try'ed that that tho myself....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-09-26, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

basically what this does is turn the 2wire/pace gatway into a stupid dsl modem..and everything else goes through the asus router
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-09-26, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

btw...the admins need to sticky this on the forum...it took me 2 days of searching for little clues about how to do this
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 03:26 PM
Rookie

While I don't live in Mantioba, this is actually a standard feature off all 2wire gateways I have run across. You can also accomplish the same thing by going into the firewall settings, and enabling 'DMZ Plus' on the second router.

This does not disable the device in any way, and you can still have devices directly connected to the 2wire afterwards. The only limitation is that only one device can be in the 'DMZ Plus' at once.

You may be better off to just leave any IPTV boxes directly connected to the 2wire.

I don't have anything in writing on this from a telco, but based on some phone calls, they seem to consider these settings 'end user' settings, as they can be modified with the default password printed on the bottom of the unit.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 09:55 PM

Again - still not sure what's special about this - I've been using my own router for wireless/ethernet for years? If you can't use your own router for a TV connection, what do you gain from this?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-09-27, 10:44 PM
Rookie

Agreed that there shouldn't be anything special about using your own router, except that some ISPs basically prohibit it by completely locking you out of their boxes. Avoiding a double NAT normally involves at least a minimal configuration adjustment of the providers router ('DMZ Plus' in this case).

There are a variety of reasons why you might want a third party router, including better firewall control, and better wireless support.

From my reading of this thread, the OP had found a way of connecting the MTS IPTV boxes to a third party router, rather than directly to the 2wire. I was just pointing out that this should be unnecessary.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-10-03, 10:03 AM

I tried the following config:

- All STB/PVR plugged directly into RG (5168) (STB via coax, PVR via CAT5)
- DHCP enabled on RG (192.168.100.x)
- WiFi disabled on RG
- CAT5 from RG to WAN port of router (RT-AC66U)
- DHCP enabled on router (192.168.101.x)
- All non-MTS devices connected directly to router (CAT5, WiFi)
- DMZ enabled on RG to router
- Router picking up public IP address on WAN interface via RG DHCP (142.161.x.x)
- Some ports forwarded on router to specific devices

From an internet perspective, everything worked great. All non-MTS devices could access the internet. All port forwarding worked as expected. It's nice to be able to manage all this on the router instead of the RG.

From a TV perspective, not so great. Live TV would cut out after 10 seconds. STBs could "see" the recordings on the PVR, but couldn't actually play them.

Has anyone had success with this configuration? I'm not sure if this config has been tried/works.

Thanks.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-10-03, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Again, I have to be somewhat careful, as I have only dealt with SaskTel's version of this gear, however, I have never seen activating the 'DMZ Plus' affect the IPTV boxes.

Do the IPTV boxes work correctly when they are the only devices connected? you may have some other issues going on.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-10-08, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

at jmorgan....did you install the asus merlin firmware on your ac66u..and do step 9
live tv will cut out unless you install the merlin firmware....and do those step...basically multicasting is overloading your router and thats why its cutting out
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2014-10-13, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. After a couple of STB restarts, everything is working fine now.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-06-04, 01:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Never heard anything like this before. Will be interested to see what others have to say about it. I'll have to check for this Router behind router setting. I have access to a special Tech login screen on the 2wire/Pace boxes which reveal more settings, but I've never seen anything like that in 7 years. May I ask where or how you found out about this? I hope this doesn't cause a bunch of people's services to get knocked out causing truck rolls, as I'm sure the company wouldn't be impressed.
What is the password for this Technical Log in screen?

(mod edit)

The one listed on the bottom of the RG does not work.
Pace 5168n

Regards,

Last edited by Jase88; 2015-06-04 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary 192 IP link
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2015-06-04, 03:04 PM
tux

The router settings can be accessed through http://192.168.100.254 . The username and password would either be listed on a card that the tech provided when your internet was installed, or else it would be one you selected yourself.

If you are unable to locate the correct password, or cannot log into your Pace gateway, you need to call MTS for assistance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in