MTS Service issues - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-04-25, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

MTS Service issues

Hi,
I get home from work today just after 1pm go make some phone calls and I am presented with nothing but static. upon my call to mts I began hearing other peoples conversations on the line and heard for a while this afternoon. TV break up all afternoon and internet slow downs. They have said they have "since" replaced the line card from there end etc. and I notice an improvement cant hear any static and everything seems working. but they still have an appointment booked for late next week. I am wondering is this normal to happen when the lines are wet etc. should I be concerned that this could become normal this time of year, I have had MTS since April of Last year and its been rock solid until this morning. Thanks for any assistance Gordon

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-04-26, 12:11 AM

The line card is only for phone, and that's in the central office. TV/Internet is usually curbside in your neighbourhood, so if the static is affecting the TV/Internet, then it sounds like your line is intermittently crossing with someone else's, maybe not far away.

This is isn't normal, as you can tell by how long it worked good for you. But copper phone lines are susceptible to corrosion, squirrel chews, physical damage, human error, weathering, etc. Rain or humidity sometimes makes these problems show up, but then disappear when it dries up.

Tell the person coming what you mentioned here. Any info helps.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-04-26, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks Macman!,
weird thing is I can tell whos line it is by his voice one of my neighbours down the back lane. its been perfect since yesterday afternoon but I will for sure mention to the service tech. Thanks so much for your prompt response. Gordon

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-04-28, 12:52 PM

You should read my experience:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131735

It was all weather-related - took 3 weeks to fix, got over a month's worth of credits and refunds. It took a really long time to convince them that things needed to be replaced, not just dried out. Good luck!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-04-29, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

I have read your experience before Mozza luckily my services seem great now but I'm keeping the appointment for mts on Wednesday. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-05-02, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

MTS Came out on Wednesday and they tested the line and they said it was good apparently the guy came to the outside and called from his cell phone I was not home as I had to work that day, early Thursday morning just after midnight pick up my phone and im presented with static again and tv/internet glitching they are now coming back Sunday between 8-4. the sad thing is I just got a second cell phone thru them 2 weeks ago so now I have 2 new cell contracts that started this year. hopefully there "Cable Dispatch team" can solve these issues on Sunday. Thanks

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-05-03, 08:13 AM

Yeah - totally sounds like a moisture issue on the line like mine was. This is going to sound sort of stupid, but record the static on the line and the glitches on TV using your cellphone (take video, etc.).
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-05-03, 04:17 PM

A lot of the first level techs are not equipped, or know how to properly use their test sets for locate cable damage. When it gets escalated to the cable crews they are usually pretty sharp.

If its raining or just wet out when they are doing their tests it makes it a lot easier for them to find the places that water is entering the cable covering.

Depending on the location, they may be able to give you a new pair while they figure out how to fix the problem. If its underground it takes longer to get the clearences etc to dig it up than it does to come back with a bucket truck and fix overhead problems.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-05-03, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

My area uses above ground lines. and thanks so much for your insight everybody! hoping to have this issue corrected tomorrow! I will keep you guys updated. Thanks!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-05-04, 12:44 PM

Actually somewhere between your house and the MTS switch building / remote concentrator the telephone lines go underground to enter the cable vault.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-05-04, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Just an update to my situation, MTS did not come today I called them just after 3 they told me that because its being done by outside cable crew they don't come into the house and they will give me further information this week as to what is happening, apparently they said that when they made an appointment it was with a regular tech not cable crew. they replied with
Quote:
" I am sorry for the inconvenience, unfortunately this issue is not something simple like a looser pair on the street or on the side of the home, but an issue in the main line between the pole and the main center where all the lines come from. It is a trickier issue to locate and solve which is why it was escalated to a higher level of technician. I assure you we are working to correct this as quickly as we can."
does anyone have experience with something like this how long does it usually take to repair. Thanks so much for your assistance. Gordon

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Thinking about this situation I am a little bit upset with mts for not notifying me that they weren't coming I had to contact them. I confirmed over 3 times that they were coming between 8-4 I could have been doing other things rather then waiting for a service technician that never showed! I am giving mts time to correct this been on going for a week. I want to give them some time. Thanks Gordon

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 09:07 AM

Depends on how long it takes to find it. A lot of time will be spend in splice cases running tests to see if the problem is in the section from that splice to the next splice or terminal end. If for some reason the spice in a manhole, it has probably to be pumped out and then tested for air quality. Some manholes can't be entered as they are so full of cable there is no room for a tech to get in and work.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-05-05, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Just an update spoke with mts this morning they said they came this morning fixed outside line due to animals chewing the lines. Got home and notice no dial tone but cable and internet are working now waiting till Wednesday for them to fix it again! Any ideas what can cause this none of my jacks are working so now I have tv and internet but no phone service. Very frustrating experience!

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Just an Update, The MTS tech that fixed the line came today and was able to fix my phone issue. So far everything seems great, I will have to see Hopefully they fixed the issue and no more static on line. Thanks again for all your help! Gordon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in