2Wire with WAP - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-12-06, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

2Wire with WAP

I have MTS TV and their now defunct 32Mbps Lightning Max plan and have been using my own linksys wrt-160n router for 2 years with my PC (because the 2wire 3801HGV refused to stay on channel 4, the only free one in my building).

It worked well, no disconnects, just not that fast with a little usb wifi dongle.

Now I got a new iMac and speeds are superb. I get on average 25 Mbps all the time with my N router (would get faster I'm sure with a new AC router but why bother).

I have an issue though were every couple days, my iMac says it's connected to my router (and when I look at my iPod and go into router settings, the router says the iMac is connected) but there is no thruput at all. I have to turn wifi off/on.

So for the heck of it I wanted to try using a Wireless Access Point a friend gave me, the dual band WAP610N (either 5 or 2.5ghz at a time, not both).

When I hook it up to the 2Wire, same way I would my current wrt160n router, it won't work (I've set up everything prior with ethernet, turned on WAP2 Personal same as my router). I get this message instead.

Wi-fi has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet (iPod won't work either (at 2.4ghz of course when I try that)).

How do you set up the WAP differently than a router to the 2Wire? I have the 2Wire's wireless OFF in it's settings. Other than that I'm at a loss all around (both for intermittent dead connections with my wrt160n and for not being able to get the WAP to work the same).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-12-08, 04:36 AM

MTS has some generic instructions on their site that describes what is necessary to do to a customer owned router in order for it to work downstream of the RG. If you Google search "MTS third party router" it will be the first or second link.

Basically you have to access your router settings page and change its IP to 192.168.100.200 then turn off DHCP server then plug the wire from the MTS RG into a LAN port. WAN port is not used anymore.
These are only guidelines as MTS doesn't provide support for non-MTS equipment.

Hope that helps

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-12-08, 09:55 PM

You only need the static ip and disabled DHCP if you have devices connected to both the WAP and the 2Wire that need to talk to each other. If only tv devices and the WAP are connected to the 2Wire everything will be fine.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-12-10, 02:32 PM

When I converted to Mac, I had the exact same problem. All the other devices worked, just not my Mac. in the end Apple would not help me. They said they only support networking problems on a Airport Extreme or Express. So I bought an Extreme and they supported it and got me working.

Of course 6 month later I moved to the 50Mb service got a new RG, and since then my Extreme drops every day or so, and I have to finally turn it off and use the RG wi-fi. Of course I am past the warranty period on the Mac so Apple won't help me get it working again unless I pay them.

If you find a solution let me know, maybe I can try again to get things working on my side.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-12-10, 04:07 PM

Based on past experiences with home networks, if you have dropped connections occurring "daily" does a power cycle on your Airport Extreme (or other router) solve the issue? If so look into if the device can be scheduled from its firmware for a daily restart at a time it is not being used.

Something else that could help is setting you your "customer owned" router as a DMZ on the 2Wire device. This means that traffic to/from the router is not being filtered out by the 2Wire. Changing a RG (2Wire) could definitely have introduced this issue.

Please let me know if either of these suggestions help.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-12-13, 04:19 PM

I did a little more checking into the issue and noticed that this issue seems to be a trend across the internet over a number of years.

Without being able to dig further into the specific situation of every person one thing I would highly advise is that if both your computer and router support 802.11n on the 5 GHz spectrum side to migrate your network there. I know from personal experience the 2.4 GHz network space is far more crowded and you are likely to run into interference issues. That said this might not be the "cure" but could help narrow the issue down further.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in