Unlocked Iphone MTS/Rogers? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-11-21, 12:22 PM
Rookie

The only problem I see with buying a 4S is that its usable life remaining is only about 1 year. iPhones usually last about 3 years, after that point the new iOS updates render the device very slow and painful to use. My 3 year old iPhone 4 suffered such a fate with iOS 7. I fear that the 4S may suffer the same fate with iOS 8 next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-11-21, 11:14 PM

I have an unlocked 5s and did not want to be on contract as I am using about 20 mins talk a month and 70 megs of data. Not worth at all to get a $60 per month contract. I chose Koodo prepaid(Telus) and pay about $17 a month. At that rate, the unlocked makes sense.

I am currently in the US using t mobile prepaid; $3 per day for illimited data, phone and msgs. Expensive but ok for 15 days. The tel number is good for 6 months even if I don't pay. No personel

I will look for better next time as i was more looking for data with no voice.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-11-23, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I ordered an unlocked 4S from Apple.ca Looks like I will use T-Mobile when I go south, and maybe MTS, or Rogers up here. Gonna decide in the next few days. I assume that even down south when I'm on T-Mobile, I could remove that SIM and insert my Manitoba SIM for a few minutes, every couple days, to allow texts to come thru to my Manitoba #? I could then go back to my T-Mobile SIM and reply to those texts?

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-11-23, 09:36 PM

I strongly suggest checking out Roam Mobility for US roaming. They use the T-Mobile network but have terms that can work in your favour. For example, T-Mobile only offers single day or 30 day plans well Roam has 3, 7 and 14 day plans. The benefit there is your data carries over day-to-day so if one day usage is low and another is high you benefit instead of the carrier. The cost difference is small too.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-11-23, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I checked out T-Mobile and Roam Mobility and I plan on using T-Mobility for a couple reasons. Those being:

I will be driving to Arizona thru North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, etc and while Roam Mobility (RM) uses T-Mobile's tower network, RM does not get to use T-Mobile's Service Partners. T-Mobile's website sucks, so I phoned them up and spoke with a great guy in customer service. He advised me that voice and text should work quite well on the majority of my route, even though I will be "roaming" with their service partners a decent portion of the time. RM, while using T-Mobile's towers, does not get the service partner "roaming", so I would be out of service in many rural areas.

Another reason is that RM will cost me $90 for 30 days of unlimited text, talk, and data. T-Mobile will cost me $50 for unlimited talk, text, and 500mb data. I realize that RM offers unlimited long distance, but I do not expect to call much, if at all. And data usage should be minimal too, as I have free Wi-Fi at my accommodations.

If I'm wrong in those above statements, please correct me.

So when I'm down there, can I just change back to my Manitoba SIM every so often to allow texts to come thru to my MB number?
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-11-24, 12:02 PM

Yes - you can change over to your MTS SIM for texts, but be sure to turn off your data.

Also - for long distance calls, why not sign up for Fongo (or Google Voice when you are down there) and use your data to make outgoing LD calls?
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-11-24, 01:31 PM

My suggestion for act205r would be to spend the extra $10 and go with the $60 plan. Having the extra data could come in handy when you are looking for a place while away from wifi.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

So I ordered an unlocked 4S from Apple.ca over a week ago. It got damaged during shipment by UPS and I will not be receiving it. Apple contacted me and I could either cancel the entire transaction, re-order it, or what ever I wanted. I decided to spend big money and today I tried to upgrade my order to a 5S, but after talking to customer service for 45 minutes, they informed me that I need to either pay the $719 cause they need their money from UPS before they will refund me mine. Anyway, I am getting pissed off at the whole situation so I looked online for a used phone...

I found a used 4S in perfect condition only 5 minutes away from me for $180. It is currently on a Rogers plan, so if I buy it would Rogers unlock it for me for ($50) , or do I need to get the current owner to do so? I want to be 100% sure that it will work for me with T-Mobile when I go down there, and MTS up here...
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 10:56 PM

I am not sure what to tell you regarding a used phone and getting it unlocked, sorry. I can tell you to be careful purchasing a used phone as you would not be the first person to walk into a mugging instead of a phone purchase.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 11:04 PM

You need to get the current owner to do it, and make sure to meet in a public place, and put a SIM card (non-Rogers) in it to try it out...
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Is $180 a decent price for a used 4S?
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-12-03, 12:19 PM

I'd say so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in