MTS Wi-Fi Hotspots - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-11, 05:11 PM

Sounds like a leased DSL line. There's still only 2 providers here, so I think any other companies just lease lines from them, or at least co-locate their lines with them. I don't know much about it, but there's other companies with their own fibre networks eh? I don't know how widespread they are, but probably only near major business areas I'm guessing.

Anyway, that usb idea is great. I guess it goes to show how our power hungry our phones are haha. I picked up a usb battery pack, and it's great! A little bigger and heavier than I'd like, but it has a decent mAh rating

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-12, 12:34 AM

Talking to an electrical engineer friend that designs building power requirements, he says that its about $125.00 installed for a USB outlet at each table so the new Tim's on PLessis has about $1000 in extra constructions cost to support people using their WIFI if they bring their own cords.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-12, 01:20 AM

I'm interested to see what they look like. A family member changed out a kitchen receptacle for one with two usb outlets. I don't recall what he paid for them. If these are standalone (proprietary) usb outlets, I can see why they might be more. If that's the case, I wonder how they're fed.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-12, 09:28 AM

Same Leviton devices that you can get at Home Depot. Cost per outlet is for the plug, wire, labour and contractor overhead.

In the previous generations of stores Tim's did not put any outlets on the customer side. The Dugald Rd store is 3 years old and I noticed when it was built at that time they did not have any plugs at all on the seating side for customers to plug laptops or smart phones into.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-13, 02:31 PM

I was in the McDonalds today in the 900 block of Henderson and saw that they removed all of their land line jacks at the "data bar" but left the electric plugs there so you can plug in your laptop wallwart and use their WIFI.

When the store opened up a few years ago they made a big deal of the fact this location had the ability for customers to dial into their ISP of choice. how times change.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-14, 03:01 PM

A few years ago? For dialup? I thought DSL surpassed dialup in the early 2000s? Time flies...

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-15, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
I was in the McDonalds today in the 900 block of Henderson and saw that they removed all of their land line jacks at the "data bar" but left the electric plugs there so you can plug in your laptop wallwart and use their WIFI.

When the store opened up a few years ago they made a big deal of the fact this location had the ability for customers to dial into their ISP of choice. how times change.
I totally would have abused that and brought a phone for long-distance calls back then!
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-15, 04:21 PM

Probably had long distance restrictions programmed on the lines to prevent that.

All McDonalds would want you to do is connect to the Winnipeg PoP for your ISP while consuming lots of their food.

I think that the Henderson Hwy Northdale McDonalds was the only one in Winnipeg that had dial up available, or at least the only one that was written up in the newspaper for having that available.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-15, 04:48 PM

I guess you'd have to be a sloooooow eater while surfing eh?

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-15, 05:14 PM

in its day 56K dial up was fast on a laptop back then and you didn't need anything special to get that speed other than the modem that came installed.

I remember seeing the first 56K direct circuit installed at a major downtown insurance company had 3 white shirt, skinny black tie and pocket protector engineers from MTS to connect to the then ISM (now IBM) building on Ellice and Kennedy. That was in addition to the normal MTS special services installers for the actual line.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-15, 10:23 PM

That's funny AND interesting

Tags
hotspots , wi-fi , wifi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in