MTS Wi-Fi Hotspots - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-12-06, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If you are not on a MTS Wireless handset, at least in my experience, it will prompt you are a user name, password and PEAP certificate. The only way to get the PEAP piece is with an MTS handset unless someone else knows a trick I missed.
This is the truth. I have been using my tablet all week at Roar of the Rings and even as an MTS high speed customer with an ID cannot get on to the MTS Wireless handset network.

Having said that, the bandwidth has been awesome all week. Perhaps compared to Jets games there are less users of the network (ie - possibly a more "mature" audience) so speeds are a but higher than usual -- I am consistently getting between 800kps and 2Mps down all week with 0 dropouts. Awesome work MTS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-07-28, 07:38 PM

MTS AT&T Wifi Partnership

"Heading to the U.S.? Check out the MTS Wi-Fi Hotspot Locator for up-to date AT&T Hotspot locations you can access for free. Wi-Fi Hotspot Locator"

Source http://www.mts.ca/wifi

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 10:29 AM

Can someone point me to a web site for signing up for the MTS wifi hotspot passcode etc? Asking through their website has gotten me nowhere.
maybe I can't get one; I have a landline and cell phone account with them, but no internet since they do not offer that here. Would be nice to have the wifi when I am in the city etc...

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Cham, I'm surprised MTS couldn't help you. The link above your post has the following:

Quote:
How to log in to an MTS Wi-Fi Hotspot

MTS High Speed Internet Customers
  1. Enter your Login ID.

Your login ID is dependent upon your internet plan. The realm (the info after the @ symbol) is slightly different for each plan. For example:
  2. Enter your Password (the same password you use to access the Internet at home).
MTS Wireless Customers
  1. Enter your Login ID ([email protected]).
  2. Enter your Password. Or, text the word Wifi to 6879 to have your password sent to you.
The wireless instructions don't really say so, but I think you need a smartphone and a data plan, i.e. you have to be an MTS wireless internet customer. Otherwise, if you have a voice-only plan you could go the non-customer route and pay $4.95 for 24 Hours. What device are you planning to use?
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 04:36 PM

Actually, you have to either be an MTS internet customer or have an MTS wireless plan. We only have internet with MTS and my son uses his iPod to access the Wi-Fi hotspots all the time.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-04, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

mrgordos, yes that's correct, but since Cham said he couldn't get MTS High Speed Internet where he lives, I just focused on wireless.
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-06, 06:41 PM

I had tried both the email and the text message, both come back as an error.
Will have to wait until I have a couple of spare hours and call them I guess... Maybe since I only have a cell phone with voice plan only I can't get the login...
I want to use my laptop with the built-in wifi radio if possible.

post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-06, 07:13 PM

That's the reason Cham, you must have either home internet or a data plan on your mts cell phone

Sent from my iPad using Tapata

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-07, 12:47 AM

I don't really get the appeal of open wifi for people who have a smartphone with a data plan. I know VPN companies preach that open wifi is a big risk, and they're usually not very fast and/or congested. Yes, not everyone has unlimited data (a.k.a. 15 GB until you're throttled, as I've experienced) but unless it's business, why not just take a break from the internet while you're out taking in some entertainment? Maybe another option in a pinch would be to tether off of someone else's cell, or borrow a family members' ID for the event? If it's family, I don't know if that would be considered a violation? Maybe they're using your device

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-08, 07:44 PM

I don't think tethering off of somebody's cell data plan is any more secure than hotspot
Wi-Fi connection using WPA2 Enterprise with RADIUS (what most wireless providers do).

But I agree, just disconnecting while on the road is a very good idea...
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 09:51 AM

I wonder about that too... If I had a smartphone I don't think I would need the wifi.

I replaced the battery on my old cell phone a couple of months ago so I'll keep it until it dies. It has been a really good phone and can handle a lot of abuse. I'm afraid I would destroy a smartphone rather quickly... Another thing I have notoced is that the people I know that have smartphones are almost always tethered to a charger... where (with a good battery) I can go for several days before having to charge mine overnight.

Guess that's progress...

post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 12:53 PM

I use WiFi if I'm streaming something - not because of data use (I have unlimited), but because it tends to be gentler on my battery.

But yes - a longer battery life is a nice feature of a "feature phone"... but then again, watching video, streaming music, doing work, etc on a smartphone is a good trade-off!
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 09:48 AM

I have noticed some places like the new Tim Hortons on Plessis Rd have provided usb power outlets for most tables so you can keep your device powered up while using their free wifi.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 06:48 PM

I live near there! Have you checked the speeds? I've done some speed tests at some places, and I wonder if it's good ol' ADSL because it's under 10 Mbps

If places had higher speeds than my LTE phone, I'd be inclined to use it. But I think it would have to be fibre or one of the higher tiered cable internet plans. I doubt companies would go that route for free wifi.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 2014-09-11, 02:26 PM

Never done a speed test at Tim's but like McDonald's its actually hosted by Bell.

And I know they are not fiber as the Plessis store had a jack next to the units Bix block in back mechanical room with a MTS special services tag and marked Bell use.

When I do a weather for my location through Yahoo Tim's @ Plessis or on the locaion on Dugald Rd both show me be being in Quebec and I have to do a manual override of my phone location to get Winnipeg. Doing the same thing with McDonald's shows me in Ontario.

Also there are two variations available from Tim's WIFI. One that gives you a slower rated speed and a time of use limit and one that gives you a higher rated speed and unlimited use if you register with them.

Tags
hotspots , wi-fi , wifi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in