Two Xbox 360s - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-10-07, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Two Xbox 360s

I have two Xbox 360s on my network and I'm only able to get one of then to be open NAT. I have the PACE 5168 modem/router which everything is going through at present.. I also have MTS TV and I understand that must use the PACE. I have a DIR-655 router which sounds like it is able to handle 2 Xbox's at once from what I gather but I'm not sure if there is a way to use it instead of the PACE.

Is there a way to get them both to be open at the same time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-10-08, 11:55 AM

One thing you could do is connect box 360s to the DIR-655 then the DIR-655 to the Pace 5168. Everything should work seemlessly. Generally speaking if everything that is not a MTS TV box connects through the DIR-655 you won't have issues, the issues arise when you start trying to have devices on both the DIR-655 and Pace 5168 trying to talk to each other. It is also not officially supported to have the MTS TV boxes connected to anything other than the MTS supplied router.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-10-10, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Are there any settings in the DIR 655 that need to be changed?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-10-12, 09:52 PM

It should just work. The 2wire will function like a DSL/Cable modem. The key is *everything* that needs to talk between each other, 360, computers, etc, be hooked through the DIR 655. Things start getting more complex if you want devices to talk across the 2wire and DIR 655 for anything other than Internet access.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-10-17, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks CoryB. It worked perfectly. All the devices into the DIR-655 then the DIR into the Pace.TV is still through the Pace and all works fine. Also tested the 2 360s and both are open NAT now and can be online in the same game at the same time without issues. Now my son is happy, he can game with me.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-10-17, 03:18 PM

Glad it worked. Changing out the DIR-655 for something new/different should not impact the network, however if you add another router things start getting more complicated.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-10-18, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm just using gigabit switches for the rest of the devices. I've been thinking of getting a new router, glad to know just swapping out should be okay.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-10-18, 04:01 PM

Going to be a touch more techincal here: the reason this setup works is that most consumer level routers include a built in DHCP server that places all the devices connecting to in in a private network. If you start chaining routers/switches and other network gear together you need to take extra steps to ensure only one DHCP server is running and that all the sub-networks are within the same private network. It can be done but it moves beyond simply plugging in a router and having it work with minimal configuration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in