MTS Internet Sept 07/2013 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-07, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

MTS Internet Sept 07/2013

I just got home here on saturday night at 7pm and I've noticed that most sites are timing out a lot, including google, instagram, my email, and the itunes store (thru itunes of course).

I tried rebooting my system, 2-Wire, router, and same issue. I can get a solid 20-30 Mbps from the MTS FTP, but there seems to be something with the DNS maybe or something for outbound traffic on MTS.

I tried calling MTS tech support and their message system nicely tells you "they are experiencing higher than normal call volumes, please call again later" and then hang up on you! What kind of support/queue system is that?

I'm downtown Winnipeg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 12:07 AM
Rookie

I am experiencing the same thing, not sure if its dns or something, did traceroute to yahoo and it seems fine, tracert to google doesnt work but seems to resolve google's IP address fine.

Am in Transcona area
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks JimmyAlpha7.

I thought maybe it was the Manyfest on Broadway, too many spilled beers or something clogging up the MTS pipes. LOL.

It's very annoying. Sites that are having a hard time loading are especially Google, Canoe.ca (Winnipeg Sun), Youtube, most of the bigger sites.

Others work fine like Facebook, and Bing.

THE most annoying part is that MTS support just hangs up on you!

EDIT: Email is timing out more and more now

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 11:14 AM

I think you may be experiencing the virus that is on my desktop, which appeared the same day (Sept 5) on two other computers of people I know.

Like you say, my browser can get to FaceBook and GMail, but not www.winnipegfreepress.com or www.theglobeandmail.com and many others.

Even when not browsing, the computer will stall for about a minute, and then resume activity.

When I boot into Safe Mode, these problems go away.

I have so far tried half a dozen tools to clean it off my system, without success.
I could restore to my daily backup, but I prefer to find out what the virus is, and what tool will get rid of it. If anyone reading this has success with some tool, please post it.

Dave S.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 11:58 AM
Rookie

Seems like it was fixed overnight, I doubt it was a virus on my end as 2 desktops, 1 Mac pc, 3 Iphones, 1 Ipad, and 1 Samsung phone all experienced the same problem.

Also during that time we tried Rogers and used our iphone as a hotspot to test and it was fine.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 12:12 PM

You're right - it doesn't sound like you have a virus.

My computer did not return to normal behavior overnight.
Also, my laptop and my wife's laptop have not been affected, only my desktop.

Dave S.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 02:02 PM
Rookie

I was experiencing connectivity issues yesterday evening as well.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 05:42 PM
Rookie

Seems to be going the same way again right now.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-09, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Yup, much improved today. Definitely not a virus, as my iTouch was affected as well. Unless, the MTS servers were hit by something?

I'm still not impressed with the lack of MTS tech support. Instead of hanging up on customers, or even putting them into a queue (which should be the case), if they are having problems MTS used to put a voice message saying they know there is a problem and are working to correct it. That puts a lot of people at ease.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-09, 01:25 PM

I found out what was causing my problem.

I was using Bitdefender Free Edition and the 5 Sept update was faulty.
I uninstalled/reinstalled the new version, and everything is fine.

Dave S.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-09, 07:54 PM

Same problem for me here Saturday night in NW Winnipeg. All usual services were slow and tardy. Tried a speedtest.net and the results came back as normal (19 down / 1.9 up) so wasn't sure what was going on...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-09, 11:23 PM

No problem on the north east side of Winnipeg as far as I could tell over the last few days.

Regarding MTS hanging up, I would think that once the number of incoming calls exceeds the number of calls their support agents are taking and the available number of lines in the hold queue there is no choice but to terminate the call after playing a message.

I would also not be surprised that the queue is dynamically configured to be smaller on weekends and later in the evening when MTS has less support staff working.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-10, 11:46 PM
Rookie

At about 9 pm tonight my internet slowed down to a crawl to the point of being unusable, anyone else? At around 9:30 pm things got a little better, slightly usable now although still painfully slow. Sep 7 and today were my first two days on MTS, have previously been on Shaw internet with flawless service for years. Strongly considering going back...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-13, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Any better now Kaziboler?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-09-13, 01:15 PM

kaziboler - something that does happen occasionally with MTS is the router/modem may need a hard reset (power cycle). My experience is this happens less than once every three months but when an issue occurs that is one of the first things to try. As a new customer it is possible some update was pushed across which has slowed you down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in