MTS expanding DSL service to 20 new communities in 2013 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

MTS expanding DSL service to 20 new communities in 2013

MTS launches high-speed Internet in four cottage communities in time for summer

MTS announced it has launched high-speed Internet service in Falcon Lake, West Hawk Lake, Victoria Beach and Grand Beach.

Today's announcement is part of MTS's commitment to connecting more Manitobans by expanding high-speed Internet service to 20 additional rural communities in 2013. To date, MTS has launched DSL-based high-speed Internet services in Falcon Lake, West Hawk Lake, Victoria Beach, Grand Beach, Wabowden, Poplar Point, Melrose, and Langruth. MTS will turn up DSL service in 12 more communities before the end of the year. When this latest expansion is completed by the end of 2013, MTS will be providing 215 communities across Manitoba with access to high-speed Internet service using DSL technology.

Press Release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 04:54 PM

MTS DSL to Giroux Manitoba?

Is there any plans to extend the MTS DSL network to Giroux Manitoba? For those not familar with Giroux, it is 9.4km east of Highway #12 (basically, northeast of Steinbach). My in-laws have had to live with dial-up "forever" and it would be nice if they can get something better than 56.6kbps. Anyone "in the know", would love to hear from you. Thx.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

The above press release say that MTS will add DSL service to 12 more communities this year. It's hard to say if Giroux will be one of them, since it looks pretty small on Google Maps. I see about 2 dozen houses on the satellite view. Mind you Langruth, from the press release, doesn't look much bigger.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-08-01, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

DSL-based service launches in Roseau River Anishinabe First Nation, Fisher River Cree Nation, Brunkild, and Seven Sisters Falls

Quote:
MTS expects to turn up the service in eight more communities before the end of the year.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-10-23, 10:02 AM

We used to have MTS dialup but the service became so unreliable that it was pretty much useless in the Morris area, so we went to a non-MTS wireless service. Cost is about $120/mo with about 100kb thru-put, but it has been very reliable. Not sure why MTS doesn't want to get into this market, should be really lucrative for them since they already have all the infrastructure in place...
Of course we are starting to have trouble with the land-lines as well, no plans to replace them according to the technician that comes out. He goes to a nearby pedestal and switches the lines around when one of us complains and the bad line goes to one of our neighbors. They call and it gets switched to someone else, and so on, and so on. Kind of scary really. 3rd world stuff. Really embarrassing for this to occur in a country like Canada.

SBGH @ 46' for locals, Wingard HD7698P pointed south for US channels.
HDHomerun receivers, extend and connect.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-10-23, 01:06 PM

Something I recall happening in the early 1990s is for all the rual communities that border Winnipeg MTS actually went and retrenched new main cables to properly provide their "Urban Unlimited" phone services to the areas. Urban Unlimited was essentially a premium limited long-distance plan allowing areas that were not in Winnipeg to call Winnipeg numbers without an additional pay-per-use charge.

The reason for the cable retrench was given that the old party lines, which had long been spilt into single line service, where not suitable for this new, expanded voice service. Many of those newly trenched lines still do not offer DSL service. I suspect similar issues exist in a lot of rural communities that are still operating on original phone lines.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-10-23, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

CoryB, I'm only vaguely aware of the "Urban Unlimited" phone service. Is it possible that the locations that don't have DSL are too sparsely populated to justify installing all the remote nodes? DSL is distance-sensitive, so the signal doesn't travel as far as an analog voice signal.

Cham, I'm not sure what infrastructure you're talking about, but if you're talking about MTS wireless, they already offer similar service. It's probably best to start another thread if you want to discuss MTS rural wireless solutions.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-10-23, 10:26 PM

Pretty sure density is part of the the issue with each CO server about a 4 KM radius from what I know. My point was rather line quality alone is not only consideration is rural areas. I do recall that when they replaced the 30+ year old copper with fiber main lines the line quality noticeable improved. What was then passable copper would be 50+ year old cable now and likely only further deteriorated since then so I can imagine how bad land line service is in some areas.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-10-24, 10:02 AM

What CoryB is saying seems to be in line with what the installer mentioned to me when I got internet hooked up. He mentioned that the copper wiring for Killarney was very old and it was one (but not the only) reason why Killarney was upgraded to FION.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-11-04, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-11-13, 05:02 AM

Does anyone know if the DSL rollout to Grand Beach and Victoria Beach covers the entire Grand Beach Rate Centre?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-11-13 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post above yours.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-11-13, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

^^ I wouldn't think so. Remote locations in sparsely populated areas may not get DSL service. For DSL to work, you have to between a certain distance from the Central Office. They can also install remote cabinets for outlying areas, but that may not make economic sense for lightly-populated areas where the potential subscribers are seasonal residents.

You can check if a specific property has high-speed internet by putting your MTS phone number into the lookup on the MTS site or call them to double-check.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-11-13, 11:40 AM

Based on existing DSL service in rural Manitoba customer density is a bigger factor than distance from the Central Office. With the current tech being used unless you are in an area (ie town) with fairly tight residential density DSL is not in your future.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-11-13, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

CoryB, there's no reason that MTS wouldn't provide ADSL service to outlying areas that were within range of the Central Office, assuming the line was clean.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-11-13, 02:51 PM

Dr. Dave, you are ignoring the capital cost of the ASDL equipment and uplink. In order for service to be provided there needs to be a minimum potential revenue in order to recover those costs. An extreme example but if there are five houses within the distance of a rural CO and say three of them would subscribe to high speed internet the cost recover wouldn't support it at the current residential rates.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in