Any Higher Speed Plans In The Future? - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 113 (permalink) Old 2014-06-08, 10:04 AM

It seems to me that when you do different speed tests, the one constant factor is your local connection to MTS. The variation has to come from the far end. Therefore, the fastest result has to be true for your home to the MTS server.

I'm prepared to accept arguments for/against.

Dave S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 113 (permalink) Old 2014-07-14, 11:31 AM

Not necessarily the "best" speed test out there but I was downloading a large file this weekend and my Lighting 25 was reporting a steady number suggesting the connection was actually at 30 Mbps and even tipped into the 31 range at times. As advertised it would not exceed 25. I have seen this behaviour in the past too before official speed bumps were announced. MTS also has a history of giving higher than posted Internet speeds to customers that have TV and Internet which I do.
post #108 of 113 (permalink) Old 2014-07-14, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
MTS also has a history of giving higher than posted Internet speeds to customers that have TV and Internet which I do.
I'm wondering if "history" is the appropriate word here, or is it just a rumour?
I don't know how someone would verify that customers in the same location with varying numbers of services would get different speeds.

Dave S.

post #109 of 113 (permalink) Old 2014-07-15, 12:11 AM

Many years back MTS confirmed that TV + Internet customers received a speed bump over the posted speed.
post #110 of 113 (permalink) Old 2014-07-15, 02:31 PM

Just received an odd call from "Midwest Telecom Services" offering me a free upgrade for 3 months to Lightning 25. They seemed to know information about MTS, but the woman certainly sounded a bit "sketchy"... decided not to jump on it and to call MTS directly to find out. Anyone else?
post #111 of 113 (permalink) Old 2014-07-15, 11:49 PM

I got the same call last month and signed up. My speed increased a few days later and my bill shows Lightning 25 with a corresponding bill credit.
post #112 of 113 (permalink) Old 2014-07-18, 08:01 AM

Would it be midwest teleservices international? I just did a search, and they are located in Brandon. I would be apprehensive too, but as far as I know, all the MTS Connect stores are owned by third parties. So I would assume this is the same case with phone sales.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #113 of 113 (permalink) Old 2014-07-18, 10:37 AM

For the past few years MTS has been using a private call center out of Brandon to do tele- marketing for them.

They usually call me with special deals to upgrade to the Ultimate TV from Classic TV. Also had one call from them when my cell plan expired asking if I wanted to change handsets?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in