Any Higher Speed Plans In The Future? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-09-02, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiter555 View Post
Anyone have any update on MTS's roll out plans for the 50 in Winnipeg? I called them months ago and the said soon for my area (south St Vital), but there is still nada on expansion to this area.
My guess would be that they have to add more ports at the cabinet in each area (usually couple streets apart) as they seem to be using them up in a hurry lately. But I heard that only homes that are 450 metres or less (wire length) from the cabinet can get 50Mbps. In each cabinet, there are MANY people beyond that distance.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-09-04, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
Congrats!
Thanks.
post #33 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-09-07, 10:32 PM

I'm still on the 32 Mbps Lightning Bolt plan. I had it before MTS ditched it, dropped speeds to 20 Mbps and then upped the prices. I have to pay the higher 20 Mbps price, but get to keep the 32 Mbps plan until I change it (which won't happen any time soon).

post #34 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-09-09, 10:05 AM

Nice and now got lighting 50 took mts a day to reprogram my gateway but not bad speeds so far.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2954886789
post #35 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-09-27, 11:56 PM

Well it appears I can get lightning 50 now but I think I will stay with lightning 20 for the time being!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)
post #36 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-10-11, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

mcmanone, did they just reprogram your router from their end? Or did you have to get a service call? I just ordered the 50 plan and was told that my modem had to be replaced, since apparently the Residential Gateway (RG) Model 3801HGV-B isn't capable of getting anything above 20mbps. I'm kinda confused since I just got my MTS service in April and thought I had the newest router. Which router do you have? The earliest service call date isn't until October 30th which is ridiculous!
post #37 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-10-11, 11:35 AM

mrgordos, according to page 1 of this thread, they will probably use the Pace 5168N, particularly if you need a bonded line.

In April, they wouldn't have given you a 5168N unless you were so far from the node that you needed a bonded line just for 20 Mbps.
post #38 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-10-15, 09:12 AM

My appointment is this Friday, I too need a new RG. What I was told was, that 50Mb needs a pair-bonded modem, as a phone line is only capable of up to 32Mb (which makes sense, since I had the old Bolt Internet service ,and it was shared 30Mb between TV and Internet.

If that is the case, the pair-bonded line would give me 64Mb, (50 for Internet, and 14Mb for TV) - I think that sounds about right.
post #39 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-10-16, 04:35 PM

Does anyone know if Island Lakes (Bishop Grandin & Island Shore) will become Lightning 50 anytime soon?
post #40 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-10-17, 11:32 AM

Chances are if you are currently eligible for Lighting20 and are not pair bonded at some point Lighting50 will become available as it is essentially Lighting20 running on two phones lines instead of the single line Lighting20 uses.
post #41 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-10-21, 11:48 PM

Any Higher Speed Plans In The Future?

I believe all customers on the ultimate platform are eligible for 10 or 20. The service runs at 35 Mbps unless they lock it in at 28 for weak signal. But even then I think 20 is still feasible.

An MTS tech I know told me that only customers whose loop lengths are 450m or less can get Lightning 50 on bonded service, but one of my contracting coworkers said he believes this applies to people on non-bonded service and that anyone on bonded service can get 50. I'll try and ask again to confirm.

*edited for major mistake near the end. Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #42 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-10-22, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the info Macman.

My thinking is if you can get 20 Mbps + the head space for the tv service (aka 35 Mbps) on a single non-bonded line it should be possible to bond in a second line that doesn't need to tv space reserved (aka a full 35 Mbps) with the existing 20 for a possible 55 Mbps before reduction for the bonding inefficancy. If I am correct on this it seems to suggest the possible roll out of Lighting 50 is a lot higher than people with a short loop distance.
post #43 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-10-31, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Finally got my Lightning 50 installed. It is pretty nice upload, and at times the download is great. The only complaint is that while the UL is consistent, the DL seems to fluctuate quite a bit from around 30mbps to 45mbps. The lightning 20 plan was a consistent 19 mbps since I got it in April. The installer didn't realize that he had to do a connection at the cabinet and only found out after he had switched out the modem, and added a new jack plug to the line at the modem. I am wondering if the new jack plug could be causing the inconsistency, since he kept on unplugging it and looking at the wire inside repeatedly. The only thing wrong with this theory is the fact that the UL speed is always consistent. I am hoping that the DL speed eventually settles down, it just worries me a bit that it was so stable before and so unstable now. Here is a speedtest result from Winnipeg to Chicago
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3070474838
post #44 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-11-04, 12:01 PM

The resident expert macman might be able to confirm, I think how Lighting 50 is being rolled out is essentially two phone lines are wired to your house and plugged into your router. Line 1 handles voice, tv and some Internet traffic as would happen in a Lighting 10 or 20 install. The second line is a dedicated Internet line. As most houses only have a single line the second line is wired on an as-needed basis for the new installation. If it was hooked up to a bad line outside the house that could explain the speed variances. It could also be the wiring that was added inside the house, ie the plug, was done poorly. The final possibility is that you could be having source issues where the point you are downloading is not able to maintain a transfer at the rate you are able to pull.
post #45 of 113 (permalink) Old 2013-11-05, 08:26 AM

It's my understanding (not trained on the specifics, just on how to install it as a contractor) that bonded service syncs at 17 meg per pair for 35 Mbps service, and the TV & Internet are not separated. Bonded service was for customers who are at about 950 metres and above, from the DSLAM. I haven't seen Lightning 50 in service, but I assume they are just upping the sync rate per line (25 Mbps at least per line) So again, the who service is just split on two lines and recombined at the modem.

As far as inconsistency, you could check the sync on both lines in the modem interface for major errors or loss of sync (not sure i should mention it here even though its easy to figure it out haha. Message me if you need it) The upload sync rate may not be affected by certain line conditions?

if it's not a bad line, it could be the speed test. Try the MTS ftp site (ftp.mts.net) and do a download of the test.exe file and watch the transfer rate as it's downloading. It's a dummy file, so you don't need to complete the download. Keep in mind that it will show Megabytes per second, not Megabits. I forget the conversion. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in