MTS Hardware Specs - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-01-25, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

MTS Hardware Specs

Greetings all,

I am currently looking at switching all my services to MTS. I have been eyeing the UltimateTV package w/ whole home PVR, basic phone service and the lightning 20 internet package - or anything faster if it is/will be offered.

I currently have 3 TV's running in the house withthe possibility of adding a 4th, and have 4 laptops, 1 desktop and a home server going almost all the time.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can see what hardware I would get, what the specs are for them and what I can expect as far as performance (sustainable internet speeds, incoming channel streams and such).

Any informations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-01-25, 04:04 PM

Hardware is either Motorola VIP1262 Main set top with VIP1200 secondary set tops. Unless installer uses newer model which should only be used for someone wanting 500 GB hard drives (existing units are 160 GB, and if new units are used they are restricted to 160 unless you pay extra for the 500 GB service)

Many installers use the new one anyway. They load quicker and are all the same size.

The service has 3 streams. They are just rolling out an update from 2 HD/1 SD to 3 HD.

Not sure if/how much the Internet is affected by tv use. Maybe none since they eliminated Bolt and Super Max Internet plans.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-01-28, 09:41 AM

The one-time fee for the 500 GB VIP 2262 is $50 (non-refundable).

A 500 GB MTS PVR will hold about twice as many hours as a 500 GB Shaw PVR since MTS uses MPEG-4 compression and most Shaw channels use the less-efficient MPEG-2 compression.

You can watch live and/or record 3 different channels.

You can also watch up to 3 recorded programs simultaneously, one of which has to be viewed on the TV connected to your PVR.

You can schedule recordings and access recorded shows on up to 6 TVs throughout your home.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-01-28, 10:55 AM

Lighting 20 is the fastest speed available unless you are in a FiON neighbourhood. There currently are several in Winnipeg, typically for homes built in the last five years. Here are the pricing plans from the MTS web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS FiON Home Plans
FiON Lightning 50
$75.00 a month
50 Mbps
5 Mbps
Medium Internet users - stream HD movies, video chat, multiple connected devices.

FiON Lightning 100
$140.00 a month
100 Mbps
15 Mbps
Heavy Internet users - lightning-fast speeds for many connected devices.

FiON Lightning 250
$280.00 a month
250 Mbps
30 Mbps
Internet über-users. You know who you are.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-02-04, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-02-04, 08:51 PM

LOL... I see your getting serious now. I almost put my Gateway and 2 portals up for sale yesterday. Horrible speeds all weekend and even today no higher than 3 mbps since 11am and only 37mbps at 5:45 am on my wonderful bb100. The only thing thats stopping me is that I'm worried about the speed sustainability on MTS also. However a steady dl of 8 or 9 mbps is better than what we're getting with Shaw nowadays. MTS would cost about $50 a month more but that would be with more HD channels that Shaw dosen't even have available. Let me know if you go with MTS.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-02-06, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

no - no FION avaiable where I am... maybe if I moved a few blocks over into the new development beside me

Does anyone have the Ultimate TV / Lightning 20 / basic phone bundle? If so, how are you liking it?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard that MTS dedicates 35MB service to the house that everything operates off of. 15MB for the TV /phone and 20MB for the internet. Is this accurate? As far as the Whole Home PVR setup... With 3 TV's all watching something, you can not record anything? Is that somehting that is going to change? Right now I have 3 TV's going in the house. 2 TV's have HD PVR's with 2 tuners in them. The third is running on an old SD reciever. That makes 5 "streams" that I have access to. Just curious as to how that all works with MTS. Some nights we are recording 2 channels and watching a recorded show on one TV alone because both tuners on that box are busy. That still leaves the 2 streams downstairs available and the SD reciever as well.

Thanks for the info provided already.

Cheers.

mrgordos, I'll let you know if I jump ship
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-02-06, 06:54 PM

Grant, I just read that MTS has 3 HD streams coming into your home, period. So you can't watch/record more than 3 things at once. (record 2 watch 1, watch 2 record 1 etc). The post also said that with third HD stream if you are using all three streams at once your 20mb internet would drop to about 12mbps DL. It is 35mb into your home with 15 for tv and phone but the new HD stream brings the 15 value higher. I did some calculations using the my bundle app on the MTS website and having more HD channels than Shaw gives me plus unlimited long distance anywhere, anytime in North America and 4 calling features would be $40 less a month for three months, $4 more for three months then $34 more after that. Should point out that these prices don't include MC or HBO (15.99 more) but it does include a pack called hollywood suite that looks pretty good and I could probably use my internet around the clock like the good old days! And I may already be on the other ship when you get there!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-02-06, 11:25 PM

You can record/watch live on 3 streams at once but while those streams are being used you can still view recorded shows. Dr.Dave's post #3 above spells it out more clearly.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 12:24 AM

Thanks sctb1, Dr.Daves post went totally over my head I think I've been doing a little to much comparing of tv, internet, and phone plans, not to mention hardware capabilities today.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 12:52 PM

Just wanted to confirm that if you are on Lighting 20 in a neighbourhood that is not FiON eligible your Internet speed will drop when watching/recording 3 HD streams. If you have three streams and one is SD or less than three HD streams live your Internet will be the full speed.

If you want to know more please let me know.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I am under the impression that the drop in internet speed while using the 3 HD streams with lightning 20 would take it down to around 12-14mbps, is this correct? And that the speed should be stable during peak times while using these 3 streams? Appreciate all the help you guys are providing!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 02:02 PM

Here's the thread discussing 3 HD streams and speed:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...75#post1478575
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 11:22 PM

I don't know how much lightning 20 will drop since I don't have it, however with MTS the internet speed is consistent all day, every day.

When I had Shaw my speed was all over the map and generally slow when I wanted it in the evening. I had techs come to the house and try to tell me that sites like Apple and Microsoft didn't have enough bandwidth for my download so that was why it was slow!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 11:50 PM

Surely you're not suggesting that the Shaw techs were blaming their networks' incompetence on those deadbeat corporations with their shoddy websites?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in