Number of MTS Streams Discussions - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 2015-09-08, 10:00 AM

@hercules130 welcome to Winnipeg.

I have to clear up a few misconceptions. Rogers and Videotron are cable companies and don't have streams. They broadcast all their channels to all STBs on their network (except SDV channels).

Bell Fibe had to lower the bit rate on their transmissions to move from 3 HD steams to 4. I'm not sure if that's one of the things MTS is looking at and what impact that will have on picture quality.

MTS doesn't have a BDU monopoly. They have a little over one third of the Winnipeg market. The original incumbent monopoly is Shaw Cable and the other two competitors are the satellite companies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 2015-09-08, 10:41 AM

Hi Doc, thank you for the welcome.

TBH, I am simply a layman who does not quite understand the technical terms. What I see is that picture quality for Bell Fibe is better than what I get from MTS. As for monopoly, for all the apartments that I inquired before I moved, including the one I am occupying now, MTS was the only television system that they offered and available on their properties.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 2015-09-08, 10:59 AM
Veteran

MTS would be using Multi-cast streams since you are connected to their own network. 1 Stream only necessary. Encoding would be H.264 but bit rate could vary depending how they set it up. I've seen some 720p stuff in H.264 and 4mbps looking fantastic.

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 2015-09-10, 12:14 AM

@thenewdc MTS does use multicast for Mediaroom TV streams on it's internal network, so there is 1 stream per channel on the fibre optic backbone. The issue is whether the "last mile" of copper between the customer and the node can accommodate 3 or 4 streams (channels) simultaneously in addition to the internet traffic.

MTS uses 6.8 Mbps for HD. Bell Fibe used a similar rate, but reportedly reduced their rate to 5.5 Mbps.

The stuff you see that looks fantastic at 4 Mbps probably was encoded in advance using multi-pass encoding which produces a better quality image at a higher compression ratio. TV signals have to encoded live, which is obviously single-pass.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-09-10 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 2015-09-10, 03:11 PM
Veteran

If you are able, just look at the superb picture quality of the PAC-12 Networks online. They are H.264 with bitrate of 4mbps roughly, and 1080P. Best I've seen online

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in