Number of MTS Streams Discussions - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 2013-01-30, 12:38 PM

The issue with hitting a bandwidth limit is fairly limited. It only occurs if you have Ultimate TV *and* Lighting 20 *and* are using VSDL *and* have three live HD streams. Having had Ultimate TV for over three years the number of times I have been in a situation of legimately trying to watch/record three different streams was fairly limited. It is also worth noting that this same issue will not occur in FiON neighbourhoods as they have significantly more headroom on bandwidth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 2013-01-31, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

From my vantage point, those occur more than one would think

How many tv's do you have? I frequently encounter installations where people have 3 or more tv's. Once I inform them about the fact that there are only 3 streams, they usually get upset. At least they are now all HD.

Also, not trying to start an argument, just confused by what you mean. The part about VDSL, do you mean compared to FiON? Because they only use VDSL (VDSL2) for ultimate, and not ADSL2+ like some other markets sometimes do. Wasn't sure if that's what you meant.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 2013-02-01, 03:14 PM

It seems increasingly people are reducing the number of tvs. Most people I know have two now.

As for my other statement, I am aware of MTS only using two methods for Ultimate TV, VDSL and FiON (fiber). I was just trying to say that in the fiber neighbourhoods the reduction in speed on Lighting 20 will likely not apply as the FiON network is speced out to support up to 250. In the even rarer setup that a customer had Lighting 250 and Ultimate TV I would expect the Lighting 250 maximum speed would take a similar performance hit when 3 HD streams are in use.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 2013-02-02, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Hard to say. I'd be interested to find out what rate they run the fibre at. It's was last May the last time I touched fibre so its getting murky.

Being GPON, maybe it IS gigabit link speed from the ONT to the hub? If that's the case, I would think Lightning 250 AND 3 HD wouldn't even come close to maxing out the connection...?

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 2013-03-23, 01:39 PM
Rookie

Just for your info, I have the FiON50 plan and I have did some tests and SD streams use 2.6 Mbps each and HD streams use 6.7 Mbps each. I have run 3 HD streams and it showed I was using 20.3 Mbps total. I then did a speedtest and downloaded some files and the total bandwidth with 3 HD streams running was 70.5 Mbps.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 2013-03-23, 10:05 PM

Hi JimmyAplha,

Could you please also run a SpeedTest with no tv streams running as a comparison. I know first hand that 2 HD steams does not impact Lighting20 however adding a third HD steam will. Just wondering if there is something similar at play on FiON!
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 2013-03-25, 06:53 PM
Rookie

I have tried some tests with the receivers off and the download still reaches almost 50 Mbps, and with having all 3 HD streams going it still shows almost 50 Mbps download for Internet only.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 2013-03-26, 08:53 AM

Thanks for testing. This confirms what I suspected, that while 3 HD streams impacts people on copper service (aka not FiON eligible) at the Lighting 20 plan, FiON would not see a similar impact until the FiON 250 plan if at all. I doubt we will find anyone with FiON 250 that can test and confirm though.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 2013-03-26, 12:02 PM
Rookie

I have Ultimate TV with the Lighting Plan. Will I have 3 HD streams or is that limited to Lightning Plus. Finding information on the MTS site is frustrating at best !
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 2013-03-26, 12:22 PM

Everyone has 3HD service regardless of your Internet service.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 2015-09-04, 10:56 AM

Explanation Of MTS Ultimate Tv Streams?

I know that you can watch 3 HD streams at the same time with MTS, but is it 3 HD only? What I am getting at is whether you get 3 streams period, whether it is 1 HD and 2 SD, 2 HD and 1 SD, etc, or if you can have 3 HD and 1 or more SD at the same time. I have 2 HD tvs and 2 SD tv.s, would we be able to watch live tv on them all at the same time? Thanks in advance.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 2015-09-04, 11:26 AM
Veteran

From the MTS Ultimate TV Features page.
Quote:
You can also watch or record up to three live programs in HD (high definition) or SD (standard definition) at the same time.
https://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/tv/w...te+tv+features
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 2015-09-04, 11:38 AM

The only way you can watch more than 3 live streams right now is if 2 TVs are watching the same channel. Here's a more complete explanation of MTS TV capabilities:
Quote:
With MTS Ultimate TV you can watch up to 7 things at the same time:
  • Live: Watch or record up to 3 live shows at the same time in HD (high definition) or SD (standard definition).
  • Recorded: Watch up to 4 recorded shows in HD or SD.
Source:How many TVs can I watch? | MTS

MTS was testing 4 HD streams, but that seems to be on the back burner right now.

A couple of other points that might affect your situation. The MTS PVR is a whole-home PVR, so you can watch any recorded show on any TV. The STBs are all HD-capable and will down-scale an HD channel or recorded program to an SD TV if needed.

Once I got a PVR, I basically stopped watching live TV. The time you save in skipping commercials is well worth it. You can also schedule your recordings to more convenient times when you aren't watching live events like sports.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 2015-09-04, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the info guys.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 03:22 PM

Being new with MTS I feel unhappy that MTS only offers 3 streams. Bell Fibe has 4 streams, Rogers and Videotron have 8 streams. Can not help feeling that MTS is behind technology-wise compared with other Canadian BDUs, yet enjoying the monopoly it has.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in