Switching to MTS internet from shaw - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Switching to MTS internet from shaw

I just signed up to move my services over to MTS from different providers and was wondering what is the easiest way to move my email over? The rep at the MTS Connect store said shaw might keep the email address active for like $5 a month but isnt sure. Is that option available and if not, would be keeping the shaw connection for a month to get my email straightened out be more beneficial? Most of the email i get is newsletters and such
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 02:09 PM
Rookie

Easy.....signup for a gmail or hotmail account and you'll never run into that problem again.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 08:19 PM

I once heard that their email will remain active for a year, but it was just hearsay.

I would try to update as many email newsletters as you can. Go through your messages and make a list.

Another thing you could do in the interim is set up forwarding on your old account, to go to your new account.

Many people choose to get a separate account (gmail, yahoo, etc) so that you don't lose your email address next time if you switch providers. MTS Windows Live is the same as a standalone Hotmail/windows live account, except if you cancel, you lose the MTS email address.

Also, setting up multiple MTS emails is a hassle. People often don't want to use the primary address because it is usually something goofy that the sales rep chose. And the rest of the process is frustrating. You have to complete the primary setup in order to create a second address (log in, change temp password, input name/address/security question, try picking second address, provided it is not take already!) THEN repeat this process to complete setup of the second address.

Add in elderly people and slow computers and you understand why I don't like setting up my customers email.

Don't forget to check your new account's junk folder sometimes, as some emails get flagged as spam/junk, even if they aren't. Then, mark the messages as not junk, to add to safe list.

Hope that helps

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-01-24, 02:00 PM

I don't think Shaw allows you to keep your email address once you've cancelled. I think you can transfer your email address as a sub-account to a friend that has Shaw.

Here's a Shaw thread on the subject.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87121

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in