Internet Speed Issues with MTS - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-11-17, 03:14 PM

dm_4u, here's the thread where people are discussing the Lightning 50 plan:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=167433&page=5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-11-17, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post
How are the speeds in the transcona area?
There shouldn't be any speed issues that affect whole areas of MTS coverage. Each individual line goes to the local Central Office or a fibre-optic node within a few blocks of your home. In either case, the data then travels over the fibre network, which has plenty of capacity.

Shaw may have slowdowns which affect entire areas of the city because there are many internet users sharing the same cable and their nodes may become overloaded because they service many more users.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-11-27, 10:40 PM
Rookie

I read (somewhere) that people who went from Shaw to MTS noticed that buffering for Netflix takes longer on MTS than on Shaw.

True? or False?

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-11-27, 10:54 PM

Absolutely false in my experience. All I can tell you is that my personal experience going from Shaw to MTS was completely positive, and I couldn't be happier with the speeds and also the lack of problems that I have received since switching. I, as well as other customers of Shaw had problems with trying to access YouTube as well as other sites that people on the Shaw forum were saying had to do with the way Shaw was routing connections to those sites, and have never had these problems, or any problems with Netflix since coming over to MTS in April.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-11-28, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Has anyone tried the "new" Lightning 50 plan from MTS yet?

This is the one without FION, that was just introduced.
We got hooked up on November 20. Island Lakes area. On Lightning 20 I could max out from third party NNTP (newsgroups) provider at 2.5MB/s; on Lighting 25 at 3.1 MB/s; but on Lightning 50, I max at about 5.3MB/s. Was hoping for about 6.0MB/s (based on the other two experiences above). Still, for $78/month compared to $60/month for Lightning20, I'm not complaining.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-12-01, 08:14 AM
Rookie

instead of making multiple posts quoting everyone I will say this. So much happier right now ($55/month savings for three months not withstanding)
Speedtest.net results not withstanding (found them at tolerable levels but not showing as good as Shaw's results)
But web browsing speeds are more than fast enough. Streaming video is excellent. I don't have Netflix so I cannot comment on that service. NNTP is the same as what I was getting on Shaw with the odd occasion I am hitting 5.6MB/s to 5.8MB/s
Shaw was consistent at 5.5MB/s
I am in St. Boniface for reference.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 09:53 AM

Is anybody using home monitoring web cameras while on MTS internet?

Last time I checked (some 6 months ago) they still had this no-home-server rule.
And that meant IP change on the external interface the moment you attempt a connection from the outside...

That is the only reason I'm with Shaw for years...
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 10:03 AM

I run an FTP server, an HTPC connected through Plex and a small Minecraft server from home. Never have I run into an issue. The IP address changes every two weeks or so, but I just run NoIP to get around that.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-06-18, 06:22 PM

Upgraded today to Lightning 25

I just upgraded today from Lightning to Lightning 25. Before I upgraded I was getting 4-5 Mbps and I was not satisfied with the speed I was getting. The tech just left after he installed the pair bond and Pace internet gateway.

I just did 3 tests on speedtest.net I am now getting 11.5 Mbps down.

Will MTS tech support be able to give me more speed if I call in?
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-06-19, 11:45 AM

cslusarc, I moved your post to this existing thread. Based on your previous posts in this thread, it sounds like you are quite far from your node, so there may not be much else MTS can do to give you a faster speed. It looks like the pair bonding basically doubled the speed that you had with a single line.

Did you discuss the speed problems with the installer when he was there? It is probably worthwhile to give MTS a call, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. On a good note, you should be able to downgrade your speed to 10 Mbps and keep the pair bond if that's the fastest speed they can physically give you.

Out of curiosity, what plans are available when you put your info in the internet lookup?

http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/inter...speed+internet
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-06-19, 02:53 PM

Dr Dave, When I input my telephone number they give me options for Lightning 10 (@ $56/month) and Lightning 25 (@ $63/month). I'm currently paying the Lightning rate but my internet gateway (Wifi Modem/Router combo) has been provisioned for Lightning 25 speeds for a trial period.
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-06-20, 09:56 AM

cslusarc, I took a look at Google Maps and if you are on De Vries and the node is on Gateway, you may not be able to get 25 Mbps due to the distance.

I would call in and discuss your situation to see if your line is actually provisioned for 25 Mbps. They should be able to tell you the profile you are on, which node you are connected to and the distance.

It's also possible that your modem was provisioned for a higher speed, but is falling back to 10 Mbps because the line is having too many errors and can't handle the higher speed.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-06-22, 10:12 AM

No, single line service on vdsl2 always syncs at 35 mbps, or in the case of pair bonding 17 mbps per pair. It's the old adsl modems that used to run at 7 mbps but would drop down from line issues.

It sounds like a provisioning issue. We're supposed to test speeds before leaving and call in to have them confirm it's provisioned for 25.

Are you wired or wireless? How far from the modem?

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

Last edited by Macman; 2014-06-22 at 12:05 PM. Reason: grammar mistakes
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-06-22, 08:47 PM

My computer is connected to my Pace WiFi Internet Gateway with a 4 ft ethernet cable.

On Thursday the tech initiated a ticket to reprovision my modem. Since then I've conducted several speed tests because I discovered a greater variance in the test results. My best result is:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3574963124

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-06-22 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 2014-06-22, 10:35 PM

anything over 11 would be higher than the lightning 10 plan. I've seen customers on wifi get around 15 with lightning 25. especially apartments. Interference must be insanely high.

Up until recently, my tests on my work laptop at customers homes on lightning 10 achieved a best of 9.7-9.9 but never 10. They must've changed it as now I see over 10. About 11 tops.

Do you have more than one computer to test with? If you get full 25 on one, then you know it's working ok. Maybe try uninstalling & reinstalling the network card driver on your computer. I've had that correct it sometimes. Could be a bad patch cord. Maybe even a bad modem, but unlikely.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in