Internet Speed Issues with MTS - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-02-06, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I'm thinking hard on this, but it is sure looking like MTS is going to be getting a new phone, tv and internet customer. One other question if someone could answer, as far as I know MTS has no usage caps, but someone I was talking to (a Shaw lover, I might add) said that MTS now has caps, is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-02-06, 05:04 PM

MTS runs ads all the time for unlimited Internet - see http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/internet. Your Shaw friend is mistaken.

P.S. if you have an MTS cell phone you will be eligible for the 4 service discount ($43.50).
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-02-06, 05:14 PM

Thanks Dr.Dave

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 11:30 AM
Rookie

I was in the same boat as you regarding shaw, I had the shaw 50 plan in last april 2012. It was running pretty much ok till August 2012 where the speeds would get bad in the evenings, xbox live games would suffer, netflix would buffer every 20 sec. I saved my tests over the year.
Shaw would be normal in the early mornings, then start dropping during the day with the worst at 4 till 1 in the morning. Called many times, did many tests, then they sent a shaw tech to come to the house during the evening, he just came in to tell us that the network is saturated in the neighbourhood and that I was supposed to be told that before doing all the tests and it would be resolved in a month or 2 at most. Waited for 3 months, called and asked and was told there is not a time frame when it will be fixed. Switched over to MTS with a 6 month promotion. Was surprised to get very consistent speeds during morning, day, and especially evening when one is watching netflix, xbox live is going in the other room, and someone on skype video in the other. Been 2 and a half months now with the service and it remained consistent.

Shaw during the early morning, Oct. 8 at 8:05 AM

Shaw in the late evening when you need it most, Oct 8 at 9:47 PM

MTS in the late evening on Jan 10 at 10:37 PM

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 05:30 PM

What speed plan are you on with mts? PS I'd kill for that 2.87 mb/s dl you were getting with Shaw at 9:47 pm lol, with the free upgrade to bb100 they gave me for my troubles, I sometimes get as low as 0.95dl
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 06:35 PM
Rookie

I am on the Lightning 50 plan, 50 Mbps down and 5 Mbps upload with unlimited data transfer. I did another speedtest just now to show it is pretty consistent and I have been happy with it so far.

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 11:53 PM

Man, I sure wish I could get Fios, I'm very jealous of those speeds. I would've switched tomorrow!!

Last edited by mrgordos; 2013-02-08 at 12:20 AM.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-02-08, 09:59 AM

Man - I'm jealous of that upload speed!
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-10-27, 07:16 PM
Rookie

MTS Internet

I am responding to the MTS High Speed Internet. You do not get what you pay for with MTS. I tried inserting an image of my screenshot but my download speed is always around 0.75mbps and my upload around 0.45mbps. Our dial up used to be almost as fast.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-10-27, 08:28 PM

Internet Speed Issues with MTS

Have you called tech support to see if there is something wrong, and see if they can explain why?

If you are in a small town, and are far from the source, this could be why. DSL is distance sensitive. In a big city like Winnipeg, there are DSLAM cabinets every couple of streets, so distance usually Ian a problem (on average, I'd guess around 2 KM maximum from the source) In a rural setting, it might be 3 KM and up. I think DSL can reach 5 KM but it will barely work. You could fall into this category.

If your line is bad, that might be why it is running so slow. Telephone lines have to be clean and balanced for DSL to work good.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 02:06 PM

I live in East St Paul but within the Perimeter Hwy. We are slightly less than 500m north of the intersection of Knowles Ave at De Vries Ave.

Could someone point out where our nearest MTS DSLAM is located?

I just re-signed up for MTS Lightning 10 internet.

Should I be satisfied with a download speed of 4.39 Mbps? The MTS Technician who helped me change my modem's settings from @resa.mts.net to @res1.mts.net indicated that the my line is capable of offering 7 Mbps.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-11-16, 12:40 AM

Doing a quick look on Google, it appears that the closest one is at Gateway and Headmaster.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-11-16, 10:48 AM

Changing the realm from resa to res1 won't change the sync rate of the modem. Even on resa, it may have been synced at only 5 Mbps due to line noise or something. Try calling tech support and ask them to check your line profile and see if they can adjust it to 7 meg.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-11-17, 02:12 AM
Rookie

How are the speeds in the transcona area?
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 2013-11-17, 08:04 AM
Veteran

Has anyone tried the "new" Lightning 50 plan from MTS yet?

This is the one without FION, that was just introduced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in