MTS TV programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 2014-12-12, 10:40 AM

Basic - we aren't charging select customers $10/month for TSN Jets so instead we will charge everyone $0.50/month included the months when there are no Jets games.

PrimeTime is a group that doesn't exist anymore, instead we have PrimeTime 1 and PrimeTime 2. My guess is the increase applies to PrimeTime 2 which saw the addition of DTour HD.

NHL Channel Package, err Sports Fans seems to be all about Rogers trying to recover the NHL costs. SportsNet also used to be relatively unpopular due to the limited offerings so you could argue it has been available at a discount for many years and is just adjusting to where it should have been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 2014-12-17, 01:29 PM

WGN America no longer available in Canada

WGN America, which was available in the Movie Flicks Package has changed it's distribution, so MTS has included WGN Chicago (222/1222) in both Movie Flicks and the Super Package.
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-02-06, 01:13 PM

I saw in the latest MTS Revue that Super Channel and Hollywood Suite are 50% off for 4 months (I think this only applies to new orders.)

post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-03-29, 09:40 AM
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
Post MTS Offer - Home Expressions 2015

Hello,

I know the home expressions show ends today, but I thought I would share what they were trying to sign new customers up with at the show with.

Basically you get MTS TV with 9 (or 10 can't fully remember) theme groups, Free PVR rental for 24 months, High Speed 10, and Phone with 4 calling features for $80 per month for 6 months. If you want additional TV's its $3 per TV (standard rate). So for 3 TV's they quoted $86 per month + tax.

This is similar to the letters they mail out all the time with the TV + 4 theme groups, High Speed 10, and Phone with 4 calling features for $70 per month for the first 6 months.

The main difference is the PVR rental is included for an additional 18 months after the promo ends from the people at the home show.

Last Year I signed up for MTS TV with 4 theme groups and high speed 10 internet for $55 per month for 12 months, so it appears they are not doing the 12 month promos anymore. My promo is up in May. At that time I will probably drop the TV, and upgrade my internet to high speed 25 and bundle with my smartphone for $100 per month. (My smartphone is already $65 so not a bad deal)

Any one else know of any other deals for MTS out there for new customers?
Shawguy (yeah I know....but its been my name on here for years. haha)

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-03-29 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-04-15, 01:29 PM

MTS to elimate MTS Classic TV by the fall

With the advent of the CRTC emergency warning system, MTS has advised in their community forum that they will be discontinuing Classic TV in the late summer / early fall timeframe as it will not accept displaying the messages.

Apparently only 10% of the TV customers are still on Classic TV.
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-04-15, 01:57 PM

I meant to post this last week, but never got around to it. According to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-118, MTS must migrate just over 10,000 subscribers from the Classic TV platform to Ultimate IPTV before September 30, 2015. MTS had originally asked for a year, but the CRTC said all the providers had to be compliant by Sept. 30.
post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 08:49 AM

Ah, maybe that's why we were told there will be an increase in our workload coming soon! I wondered how many Classic customers were left. 10k sounds like a lot!

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 09:38 AM

This ruling will probably cause a bit of hit on MTS's bottom line. They have to buy 10,000 new set top boxes and pay the labour to replace them.

I wonder if the street side cabinets will need cards changed as well as I guess Ultimate and Classic are provisioned differently.

I recall last Dec when Macman was assigned to upgrade my service to Ultimate, my TV service dropped before he came to the door.
post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 12:54 PM

I would imagine that they're eager to migrate customers off of classic, as I'm sure having to support two different TV services must be more costly than just one. And 10k new set tops probably isn't accurate, as many people have more than one tv

The cabinets have likely been upgraded for some time now, since they were upgraded for the rollout of Ultimate. Yeah, they are provisioned differently. Classic uses VDSL, and transports via ATM protocol (I know nothing about it haha) whereas Ultimate is VDSL2 which uses IP. All I know is that the classic technology is probably ancient by todays standards.

When we migrate someone, we have to remove some wire jumpers from the classic port and hook up new ones to the ultimate port, where the signal gets inserted onto the phone line. They aren't compatible, so that's why it goes down until the new service is up and running

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 01:20 PM

Jets Games?

I'm not a regular hockey fan.
If you're still reading after that statement, then I'll go on.
I just searched for NHL Hockey and it only came up with the 6:00 pm game, and not the Jets game at 9:30.
What package do I need to see the Jets games?

Dave S.
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 01:35 PM

I guess my point was do they have enough ports in the cabinets to move the customers over or do the cable splicers have to come in and do some work to add more ports for Ultimate.

A co-worker of mine can't get Ultimate in Canterbury park as MTS told him the cabinet that services his bay is at capacity, so at least in that area it could be challenging to migrate classic to ultimate.
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschell_2000 View Post
I'm not a regular hockey fan.
If you're still reading after that statement, then I'll go on.
I just searched for NHL Hockey and it only came up with the 6:00 pm game, and not the Jets game at 9:30.
What package do I need to see the Jets games?

Dave S.
from the MTS community page:

"The first round of playoff games with the Winnipeg Jets will be televised on Sportsnet. Sportsnet is available from MTS TV (HD and SD) in the Sports Fans theme group.

To order now, visit mts.ca/MyAccount and ensure you don’t miss a minute of the games!

Sports Fans sells for $10 per month and may be cancelled any time after the first 30 days."

I guess you could call the 204-call-mts number and have them add this package to your account if you don't have MyAccount set up

Last edited by mbhydro; 2015-04-16 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add call in number
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-04-16, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
I guess my point was do they have enough ports in the cabinets to move the customers over or do the cable splicers have to come in and do some work to add more ports for Ultimate.

A co-worker of mine can't get Ultimate in Canterbury park as MTS told him the cabinet that services his bay is at capacity, so at least in that area it could be challenging to migrate classic to ultimate.
Yeah, I've come across a few orders where it wasn't caught in the system that there were no ports left, so either more needed to be added, or if someone cancels. That cabinet in Canterbury Park feed a lot of customers, so I could see how it could be at capacity

I think they added more to my cabinet in the past year, and it was done in about a day, I think. I believe they had to rework the punchdown blocks to tie into the new cards.

post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-04-17, 09:58 AM

Looking on the MTS community forum page today and it looks like MTS was having problems with last minute customers ordering the Sports Fan Group. It looks like it may have crashed the online MyAcccount system and there were complaints of long wait times on the call in system.
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-09-01, 04:39 PM

Subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket by tuning to Channel 1811 and you can purchase directly on your TV.

Pre-Season Pricing: $149.00

Special Offer

Sign up for NFL Sunday Ticket by September 12, 2015 and save $50 off the regular price*, plus you will be automatically entered for a chance to win one of two pairs of tickets to the October 3, 2015 Winnipeg Blue Bombers game in the MTS Suite.*Contest Rules.

*Regular season pricing is $199.00, effective September 13, 2015.

Source https://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/tv/w...+sunday+ticket

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-09-01 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in