New Smart Phones are not good enough !!! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-15, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

New Smart Phones are not good enough !!!

Today , I was going to just do it!,, upgrade my Quantico rugged Motorola for a Samsung Galaxy SIII . I want an up to date , modern device! My first handhold and real look at the SSGS3 told me instantly that it would be way to fragile for my business and lifestyle , and I backed out after looking online for available cases , otter , lifeproof , etc. there were none except for flowery skins and such.

Then I took a serious Look at iPhone5! ,, They are are quite a bit more "tough"because they have a lot more cases and waterproof stuff , but have almost the worst reception of all phones on MTS.

Check this link from Manila---- http://manilastandardtoday.com/2012/...te-smartphone/

Untill the quality goes waaayy up I see that it will be next to impossible to keep any smart phone alive for 3 YEARS,,,and at the current rate ,why would you still want it after a year or so , its old news -- New phone-- $650 ~ !!! and its kinda made to FAIL so you have to upgrade and pay the Penalty for the contract and get into another 3 year deal ,,, and so the cycle continues........................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-15, 07:50 AM
Veteran

http://m.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mob...GT-S5690KOMBMC

Check that out...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-15, 10:22 AM

Yeah - don't blame the phone, blame the "lifestyle".

Or get a Rugby.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-15, 10:52 AM
Veteran

Fyi the iphone in an otterbox is pretty darn bullet proof.. My coworkers use them and we are crawling around working on furnaces all day..

My GS3 stays in my truck I just hate the look of my otterbox so use a thin case and just keep it away from ruff activities.

We have ipads in otterbox as well at work.. Extremely well protected

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-15, 11:34 AM

Have you looked at the Seidio Obex waterproof cases for the Samsung Galaxy SIII? They are available from Canadian on-line retailers with free shipping.
Quote:
Waterproof
- Case exceeds the IP68* rating, signifying that it is both dust-tight and protected against complete, continuous submersion
- Critical points of entry are blocked by a two-stage protection system
- Anti-reflection glass protects the camera lens without interfering with photo quality
- Waterproof membranes shields the microphones and speakers while maintaining with sound quality
Manufacturer's links:

http://www.seidioonline.com/samsung-...swssgs3-bk.htm

There's also a combo package with a case and holster.

http://www.seidioonline.com/samsung-...hwssgs3-bk.htm
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-15, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to DR. and TKG ! The links were usefull and very informative , Im still going to keep my "stoopid proof "phone untill something that is water/shock/cold/hot /damn tough out of the box and smart!!!!! is available,,, All manufacturers have the ability to waterproof anything and, in doing so it makes it durable and and quite capable of lasting 3 years. If a little more consideration went to the end user and thier product was just plain tough, they could sell alot of them.... The company that figures this out and offers it at even the "going rate" for a smartphone will make a boatload of cash ! I will buy it!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-15, 05:30 PM

There have been a few. The Motorola Defy is one example.

Ultra durable smartphones have never really sold well; most people don't want the added bulk in exchange for durability.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-16, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Well I guess i will be waiting awhile,,,,,probably till well after mozza wakes up!
;;
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-16, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Ya ,, I get it now,,,todays smartphones are leading the way into the future and \iwant the future to be now,,,,,perhapse posts and discussions like this will inspire great minds of the future
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-16, 10:25 AM

The period button is *right* beside the comma button. Easy to mix up, I know.

You said you wanted a more rugged smartphone - we gave you a few examples of some, and also pointed out a few cases that would help too.

Or perhaps a smartphone just isn't in the cards for you, then.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-17, 12:53 AM
Veteran

I know its hard to beat the old tuff phones..

you still rocking one of these bad boys?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-17, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

wow ... is that a 650
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-12-17, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Hey mozza thanks for the reply and keyboard pointers...got a few smiles around here... good one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in