What Get if Move 3G SIM 2 4G Phone MTS - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-11-01, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

What Get if Move 3G SIM 2 4G Phone MTS

I thought I'd post this question on behalf of a friend of mine. His situation:

He's 'off-contract' (expired) with MTS, has an older 3G phone and is starting to lust after a new SS Galaxy Note II BUT would (a) like to stay with MTS and (b) REALLY like to stay with/not have to give up the Really Sweet Unlimited Data plan that he currently has.

He has indicated to me that he would be prepared to BUY OUTRIGHT/PAY FULL PRICE for a NOTE II if necessary as one part of such a move if he could achieve that objective.

His question(s) are:

1. Could he simply go (e.g.) to Future Shop or Best Buy AND purchase from any of the (say) Big Three (Bell, Rogers, or Telus) a Note II at 'Full Retail' WITHOUT signing a Contract and then (simply) pop the sim card from his existing MTS 3G Phone into it and have it work with MTS? ALSO: would he then 'automatically' get any speed benefits from the fact that he would have a 4G Phone AND MTS has 4G (LTE) in Manitoba?

2. Something tells me that the above may not work, either because he either might NOT be able to buy the phone without at least getting it activated even if (e.g.) month to month OR any Note II that he might purchase through an outlet like BB or FS would 'already' be locked and would have to be unlocked before he could attempt to use his MTS Sim... True or False?

3. If TRUE, and assuming that his proposed sim card swap 'WOULD (Techically) WORK, would his only choice be to obtain an UNLOCKED Note II with the 'right' HW Specs to work with MTS' network? And, if so, what would he need to 'watch for' in terms of HW specs to ensure that the phone was compatible?

4. Assuming that he went through all this effort, would the fact that he would not have a 4G Phone on a 4G Network enable him to 'benefit' from 4G communications technology?

MTS does NOT offer either the SS S III OR the Note (I OR II). They do have plans to offer the S III in November BUT my friend is of the belief that that if he tries to go ANY other route to obtain (EITHER) a 4G Phone from MTS (even buy one outright, assuming you can, without a contract and are willing to pay Full Price AND, again, it looks like that would have to be an S III and not a Note II), he WILL have to 'lose' his current contract... Comment?

Anyway, hopefully 'you get my drift' as to what he would like to do. All suggestions for how to 'get there', assuming it's possible, are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-11-01, 01:51 PM

CDMA plans only work on the CDMA network. Last I heard, MTS will not transfer CDMA plans to 4G (HSPA or LTE). If you want to get 4G, you will need to get a new 4G plan. CDMA phones are "hardwired" and don't have SIM cards, so it's not possible to trick the network that way.

You can check with MTS to see if they have any special retention deals for people that want to switch from CDMA to 4G.

I would wait until the new phones come out later this month and see what's is available. It might make sense to get a subsidized phone, since the monthly rates will probably be the same.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-11-01, 03:16 PM

Something else to keep in mind is that your friend might have "cheap unlimited data" that dates back to when that feature was available for phones before they were "smart". Odds are pretty good that unless your friend's phone is an iPhone or Blackberry that ends with two zeros in the model number that they are not on the "new" network and would need to change plans regardless.

As for the hardware requirements, MTS and Rogers share the HSPA (4G) network however they will be running different LTE networks. With that in mind, if you buy a phone that will work on Rogers in Manitoba today it will work on MTS provided it is not carrier locked. Sadly, most phones are carrier locked by default.

If you want more specific advice I would be willing to answer questions privately. Knowning the model number of the phone and a "not more than" price on the plan would be helpful though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in