Keeping MTS Internet, Getting Rid of MTS Land-line - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-09-09, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

MTS POTS Line Rental.

I live in Churchill, and I have Internet and residential POTS. If I get rid if my POTS and keep my Internet service, do I still have to pay the $23 line rental fee?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-09-10, 01:13 AM

Line rental fee? Unless this is something rural customers have to pay, I'm guessing the $23 is your cost to have home phone. Unless you see a separate phone charge like another $35 or whatever it is nowadays.

I would call and ask. There are many people here in Winnipeg that don't have home phone service as they don't see the need to have a cell and a pots line.

There were many people in The Pas who migrated to "FiON" fiber optic who also don't have home phone.

Oh and it's called a "delink" line when you have Internet (or tv service for that matter) without home phone. You never used to be able to do that.

It still has a phone number associated with it (for billing and field work) and can make 911 calls but any other number you get a "please call MTS" type message.

I would ditch my home phone but I have a monitored alarm and get a discount on my house insurance, so I don't think it would work out in my favor cost-wise, to cancel the pots line and only have a local alarm, plus lose the discount. I can't afford to have cellular monitoring either.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-09-10, 09:53 AM

I've had "dryloop / naked DSL" in the past. As macman indicated it is a provisioned phone line, but you cannot use it to make calls. You'll even notice on your bill that it has a phone number attached to it.

I was never charged extra for this, I just paid the cost of the internet connection. I should note that I am located in Winnipeg, so hopefully they treat their customers up in chilly Churchill the same.

LG 47LK520 - Denon 1910 - Bell 6400 - Harmony 720 - Optoma HD200x -Pro-Ject Xpression III

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 01:06 PM
Rookie

Keeping MTS Internet, Getting Rid of MTS Land-line

Hi,

I'm new here and can't find the answer to my question anywhere.
I have my land-line phone and internet with MTS.
I want to cancel the land-line phone and keep just the internet.

Is that possible?
There must be a lot of people who use a cell phone with home internet services, and don't need a land-line phone.

MTS customer service people are tricky to talk to .... as you may know. When I phone them, are there any tips you can give me so they let me do what I want to do, and not somehow twist the conversation and say I can't get rid of the land-line phone without getting rid of my MTS internet service? I'm afraid that's what they're going to do.
Thanks.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 01:27 PM

@hanks, I've merged your thread with a previous one on the subject.

You should ask for a "delink" line or a "dry-loop".
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-09-18, 04:12 PM

Yeah, you shouldn't need to beat around the bush. All you need to say is you want to cancel your landline service. Like Dr. Dave said, they will convert it to Delink (their name for dry loop).

I've heard other providers will disconnect the physical wires for DSL if you cancel voice, but I've never seen MTS do that. Especially if you are keeping their Internet.

There shouldn't be anything else to be done. You could even leave your phones connected for 911.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2014-07-17, 11:05 AM

Anyone get MTS to give you a dry-loop when you were moving to VOIP? I want to port my number and that adds a lot of headaches in dealing with MTS! I don't want to "cancel" my POTS until the port is completed, but if it's not a dry loop the internet will fail the moment they do the port until they dry loop the line to enable the DSL to stay functional.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2014-07-17, 07:32 PM

I can't say 100% for sure, but I think if you port your number without canceling the landline, they might just convert the line to delink with a new number (only for identification and 911 should you need it; delink lines have this. Maybe it's law?)

What you might be able to do is give them notice of cancelation and set your port date to before that date. Although I "know someone" (ok it was me haha) who tried that with Shaw and they wouldn't release the number until the notice of cancelation was cancelled.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2014-07-18, 11:01 AM

I know of people who have ordered a new delink to run their internet on and once installed then did whatever they were going to do with the existing landline number. It means a bit of a higher 1 month cost with the overlap and installation fees if any.

The reason the delink lines get a phone number is MTS has to somehow identify the service as being a basic phone line. If it was a special services line it would get a different style identification number that in no way resembles a telephone number.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2014-07-21, 09:14 AM

It's actually easier (and cheap) to have Shaw come in for a month while going through the porting and so on...typical MTS BS. And they wonder why people don't like them?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2014-07-21, 11:33 PM

I just cancelled landline today and kept MTS Lightning 50. No special steps required.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2014-07-22, 08:29 PM
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
Could you maybe add a Teen Ring/Distinctive Ring phone number to your account, then make that the primary number and make your "landline" the distinctive ring number. Then port out the distinctive ring number? (which is your old land line?) Might cost more and be more of a pain in the butt, but probably would work - I know people who have done that on Shaw (they had to keep phone for the bundle discount).

Not saying it would work - but just thinking out loud

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2015-05-07, 01:25 PM

Ooma porting MTS landline number

I want to cancel my landline but keep the number and port it over to Ooma. I have all my services with MTS. MTS has told me they would have to give me two lines and charge me for the install and didn't mention anything about delink or dryloop or stand-alone. They said they didn't know what I was talking about!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 12:26 AM

Most of the time, the company porting out (taking) your number will say just leave your existing service as is and do NOT advise your current home phone provider that you are canceling. There's a risk you could lose your number if you do.

The portability request is submitted (I think it takes 5 business days?) and when the day comes, the number gets ported out once that company confirms the customer is ready. if the customer is not ready and it gets ported, it's a major headache to undo it.

I don't see why your "current" provider would cancel your internet service if only your voice service was ported out. I think it just automatically gets switched to a random "delink" phone number.

I am finally setting up an appointment to get my home alarm converted to wireless (they told me it's called AES wireless radio mesh, which isn't cellular) so I can cancel my landline as I have no need for it and I'm sick of telemarketers and scammers.

This is not an official response, and I am not promoting canceling your MTS landline

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I'm sick of telemarketers and scammers.
You don't get them on your cell?
I do, and I'm not happy about also paying for minutes when receiving those calls.

Off topic, but isn't it nice to not be bothered by an audio commercial when reading this forum?

Dave S.

Tags
internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in