MTS TV, lost signal and crashes - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

MTS TV, lost signal and crashes

I was a winback for MTS TV, Phone, and Internet this week after being with Shaw for the last eight years. The technology seems to have improved quite a bit and the service seems to be a better value. So I switched. Not bad but not as good as I'd hoped. So far here is the list of problems: call display shows up on the TV but no longer shows up on our call display enabled phone; call display seems to miss some numbers and just shows them as "unknown". More than usual in my opinion; frequent drop-outs of TV service while watching shows. It display a "TV Connection Lost" type of message then comes back to life usually in about 10 seconds. Quite annoying, sometimes the drops outs are as frequent as two or three per hour.; Crashes, this is a biggie, watching TV and pushed the "Info" button and the set top box basically crashed and had to be rebooted. This has happened on two of my three STBs (set top boxes, the two most used); the second time I pushed the "Guide" button when the STB crashed. Internet seems to be fine, mind you drop outs can be harder to detect unless you're really watching for them. Does anyone else experience these or similar problems? Needless to say I'm going to get the installer back here tomorrow. Maybe I've got a bum RG 2wire unit or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 10:41 AM

Have you called MTS? It sounds like there is a problem with something for sure. I am sure if you call them they will send a tech out to go through everything to ensure it is workign correctly.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 11:15 AM

Sounds like an issue with your line, maybe some noise. You need a tech to visit.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 12:54 PM

Agreed it sounds like a cable issue.

One thing you could do is start trying to isolate things in your house.

Basically get it down to one phone line coming in, everything else disconnected. Then connect the PVR box directly to the 2wire with known good CAT5E cable. See if that solves the tv issues.

If that works you can start adding other stuff back in one at a time and see if the issue reoccurs.

If you can't even get the single line setup working as I described the line issue is likely outside your house and requires at least one MTS visit. The issue with lines outside your house tend to happen mostly in neighbourhoods with overhead wiring.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Been waiting now a week for the tech to come back and fix the problems. Granted it Christmas break and all but the tech was suppose come by yesterday and he was a no show.
Call MTS?! This maybe highlights a bigger problem with MTS which is that they don't have any staff or commitment to being an employer, they sub-contract everything out effectively washing their hands of any install problems. Rah, rah for free enterprise, but sometimes maybe you need management at the top to provide a minimum acceptable standard of quality. I think with all these sub-contractors there's a hit-and-miss factor at play.
Noise on the line is a possibility, but with due respects this should never be the concern the home owner. If the company providing service needs to rip out every old line and install new that's their responsibility not mine.

~m
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 05:00 PM

I would call and cancel unless they credit you a month's worth - they didn't seem to deliver a service promised.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in