MTS Internet has lost 90% of it's download speed - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

MTS Internet has lost 90% of it's download speed

Just recently, the roommate called MTS due to connection issues and was instructed to set up a broadband connection with a username and password.

I am wired directly to the router through a LAN cable, and internet speeds are around 25-30 kb/s for downloads. browsing seems to be fine, but downloading is capped.

I restarted the router, and computer, and upon downloading something watched the speed drop from 1000 kb/s all the way back down to 45, and then down to 30 :/

Additionally, I went over to my parents only to find the same slow, horrible download speed there as well.

I went down to Corey's computers, to try and figure out what the hell happened (thinking maybe my network adaptor is pooched), and sure enough I could connect wirelessly to the store shaw network at 450+ kb/s.

any idea what could be capping my speed at 30 kb/s?????

any help would be supremely appreciated!!!!!

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 10:25 AM

What plan/level of high speed do you subscribe to?

What are of the city are you in?

What other MTS services do you subscribe to?

I'm wondering if you are getting line noise or problems from the box, that sort of thing?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi there,

I appreciate the reply!

the service is the slowest high speed option (not the lightning). I called tech support who said they could run some sort of line test, but said that 28kb/s wouldnt be out of the realm of possibility, with a peak speed of 300 kb/s (my usual d/l speed until earlier this week was always 250-275 kb/s).

the apartment set-up is the same as my parents. the TV box is the modem, which is hooked to a router, that hooks up to each computer via LAN.

MTS TV is the basic cable plus a few extra channels.

Tech support said to try and turn off the modem (TV box) and wait 30 secs, plug it back in, etc. that and cycling off power on the router didn't do anything.

I tried my girlfriends computer as well last night and she was also getting identical, ultra slow download speeds.

other than that they were basically zero help, and suggested upgrading to lightning.

so at this point I am still

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

forgot to mention, living in Winnipeg.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 09:48 PM
tux

If you have the slowest speed, you're on Lite, which is advertised at 256 Kbps download speed, or "up to 5 times faster than dial-up".

The advertised speeds on MTS's web site, or when running a speed test (such as through speedtest.net) will give you results in KILOBITS PER SECOND (Kbps). However, most programs on your computer, such as Internet Explorer or Bittorrent, will give you speeds in terms of KILOBYTES PER SECOND (KB/s) . You can convert between the two using 1 KB/s = 8 Kbps, so 256 Kbps gives you a maximum download speed of 32 KB/s. You mentioned in your first post that you're getting download speeds of 25-30 KB/s, so this appears to be right on par for your Lite internet service.

Lite internet is suitable for users who do browsing and email, but if you're planning on downloading, you really should consider upgrading to Lightning, which is 15 times faster and offers speeds up to 7.5 Mbps or about 960 KB/s.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-20, 11:31 AM

Run a "speed test" using www.speedtest.net and post the result here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in