Help with a hand shake issue - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Help with a hand shake issue

Hi folks. I am hoping for some help. I have developed what I believe is a handshake issue between my VIP1216 and my Onkyo 806 amp. The entire set up has been together and worked flawlessly for over a year now. I have high end HDMI cables to all units. About 3 or 4 weeks ago (coincidental to a software download I think) I started having issues. It now takes multiple attempts to turn my system on. First attempt usually gives all 3 (TV amp and STB) all on but either no sound or non-Dolby sound. Second attempt will give correct sound but a 4-3 picture vis 16-9. Third and subsequent attemps are variations on the theme until I finally get the correct sound and picture combination. I have switched all the HDMI connections around, done both soft and factory resets.
I had an MTS tech come and look at the situation. He found an error code that he said he had never seen before. Did not know what to do with it and left. This is a very disapointing effort on MTS part but leaves me with a frustrating situation.
I am lost as to where to go next. Has anybody seen this before? Is there a solution.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 12:55 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the FAQ on HDMI issues and a list of things to check. Perhaps there's something there that will help. My first guesses would be:

- turning things on in a specific order (AVR or TV first for example)
- turning off any HDMI link features on any devices.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 10:37 AM

I have an newer Onkyo Receiver and I do not have the problem you have, but I notice my Receiver does take time to turn everything on. I use a Harmony One, so everything turns on at once (not sure the exact order).

What I do see is that the Receiver seems to turn on first, and when the STB turns on it automatically reconnects, then when the TV turns on the Receiver does another handshake. What I see is a blank screen, I hear the audio come on, it goes off, then back on again with picture. All this takes a few seconds and coincides with the Harmony One turning on everything. The Onkyo seems to detecting each device and re-handshaking automatically to ensure it is connected correctly.

It appears to work as in should.

If you are using a Harmony, try turning on the devices in the following order
TV, STB, Receiver.

hope this helps

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks much guys.. SRG - I reordered the sequence on my Harmony 880. Seems to have done the trick. many thanks. Frustration level is now returing to normal
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 02:42 PM

excellent, glad I was able to help
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Dissapointment. I spoke to soon. Woke up this morning to the same troubles. 6 attempts before a good start.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 10:16 AM

@snowbear, it might be a good idea to turn on the devices manually in a particular order for a while to see if you can get it to work consistently. I know that seems like the dark ages when you have a Harmony, but HDMI is a complex protocol and can be very troublesome, especially with an AVR in the middle. If you can get it to work consistently, then you may be able to pllay with the timing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 10:43 AM

if as Dr. Dave indicated you can find an order that works, you may need to put in a delay between IR codes in the Harmony to allow each device to fully turn on before the next device is turned on. I think it is in settings, but can't remember exactly where.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I will keep working on it. I will let you know if I am successful
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-16, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Still no luck. In random order I have tried>>> Removing the Viera link, removing,cleaning and reversing all HDMI cables, switched the order each unit turns on, applied delays of between 1 and 10 seconds to the Harmony One timing. As yet it is still a crap shoot and about 6 tries to get everything up and running correctly.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Success finally. It took a complete re-wiring of all the hookups. My STB now has inputs to both the amp and TV. Huge thanks to Tim Parsons at Center in Regina. He had seen the problem before and had the knowledge and patience to run me thru the work around via a phone call.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 09:19 AM

Awesome news. Congrats!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in