MTS High Speed Standalone Speeds - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-11-07, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

MTS High Speed Standalone Speeds

I was looking at the MTS Lightning Internet plan's fine print and noticed that you need MTS Ultimate TV to achieve the advertised speeds of 7.5 Mbps. Why is this and what speeds would I get without MTS tv?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-11-07, 03:23 PM

I believe you would get 5mbps without their TV service.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-11-07, 09:15 PM

you can get just under 7.5 down with an actiontec ADSL modem. you need tv achieve the 2 mbps upload speed advertised. standalone you will get just under 1 mbps. these speeds are what i have come across in the city from a FTTN setup. these speeds are unrealistic in the country

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 08:51 AM

I too wondered about that fineprint of "must have MTS Ulimate TV to achieve those speeds".

I'm in the city and just signed up for MTS Lightning which is max 7.5 Mbps (actiontec modem). I am only getting 3.0 Mbps on speedtest.net. I called into MTS tech support and he said not having MTS Ultimate TV wouldn't effect the potential download speed, and I should be getting anywhere from 5.5 to 7.5 Mbps.

We troubleshooted a few things (wired vs wireless), but ya, still 3.0. Length of phone line is less than 6 ft to the jack. He said this is way too slow so they are sending out a tech next week.

For the experts out there - what is generally the cause of an underacheiving speed like this? Bad modem? Bad phone jack? Something outside the house?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 09:56 AM

@johnnucleo, it's probably a problem with the line somewhere outside your house - between your house and the Central Office.

One thing you can check is that if MTS supplied DSL filters that all your phones/answering machines/faxes have one attached. The DSL modem should NOT have a DSL filter attached.

It's also possible that MTS installed a DSL filter where the line enters your home, which means the separate DSL filters aren't needed. In this case only one designated phone jack can be used for the DSL modem. All other jacks will have the DSL frequencies filtered out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-04, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

MTS high speed speeds without TV

I've read on here before that if you just have standalone internet with MTS that you get slower speeds without MTS TV. Has this since changed or is this still the case? I would be interested in getting MTS internet standalone if the speeds were the same as Shaw high speed.

Thanks

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-03-04 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-04, 11:02 PM

I believe you have to subscribe to the MTS "Ultimate" TV service to get the top advertised speeds (35/2 in my case). Otherwise, I believe you max out at 7/1...

Also - I'm not sure why you posted this same question again?

Last edited by 57; 2012-03-04 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Link deleted - no longer needed after merge
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-03-05, 10:25 PM

Actually, we recently started doing standalone internet installations for MTS using the 2Wire Gateway that is used for Ultimate TV. I think they are phasing out ADSL modems, at least for people who are eligible for Ultimate TV/VDSL2 profiles and/or wanting something faster than "Lightning". I'm assuming this is also to make it easier if someone wants to add Ultimate TV, as all that would need to be done is hook up the set top boxes (and associated wiring.)

@Positive Climb: I recommend calling MTS to see if you are eligible for these higher plans. And I won't say much except they are not the same as the competition. They are two different technologies. Fibre on the other hand...

Edit: It doesn't look like their website has been updated to reflect this change.

Last edited by Macman; 2012-03-05 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Added more stuff
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 12:25 AM

I have the HSI Lightning Super MAX Plan ($80 per month bundled) and I get 25 mbps down and 2 mbps up. No "TV" here. 2wire HGV3800 modem/router provided by MTS.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 01:54 PM

^^^

Yeah, I think you can only get Super Max without TV. I don't know why they can't do Bolt without TV. It's 32 Meg shared with the TV streams. I have no experience with it to see how much the Internet speeds slow down with, say, all 3 streams in use.

I wonder if this is what the latest Shaw ads are targeting. But I think they goofed because they make it sound like you lose picture quality during heavy Internet usage. I couldn't ever see this being the case...?

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in