Contemplating ditching Shaw for MTS NO CAPS internet - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Contemplating ditching Shaw for MTS NO CAPS internet

I am currently on shaw and thanks to Shaws CAPS am in a predicament that I am unhappy with.

My house is a very heavy internet use house. We have no cable tv or traditional phonelines.

We use a VoiP service for home phone as well as Netflix and live internet streams for all television programming. Wife as an avid WoW player and my son and I are both xbox live junkies. (CoD and Halo)

4 netflix ready devices through the house attached to the 4 tvs.

Needless to say I can rip though my 250 gb data cap with shaw if I change video quality on netflix to the best quality.

I am at a crossroads and maybe someone a little more techsavy could help me. I originally went with shaw for the great internet speeds for all the gaming streaming etc.

I have priced it out and shaws internet caps force my data use into $80-$100 range for internet unless I want to downgrade video quality on netflix.

My question and reason for contemplating switching is that MTS now has offered unlimited data on their internet plans. I am really contemplating a switch but I have one real concern.

What MBPS is ideal for my heavy usage?

Can I get away with the 7.5 mbps or should i go with the 15mbps plan.

My current shaw plan is the same price as the 15mbps mts plan except I am stuck with a 250 gb data cap (that I will be going over for the third month in a row) and 25mbps speed.

any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 04:55 PM

I would suggest going with the 15mbps plan, by the sounds of what you like to do.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 05:04 PM

Two thoughts come to mind.

First, the price you are paying taking your overage fees into account would match up more with the SuperMax speed MTS offers with 25 Mbps and no caps. You may want to check the terms and conditions though as "unlimited" is actually a term normal defined there to mean something like "unlimited, based on the providers interpurtation of reasonable levels". For example see this:

MTS' Excessive Use Policy

The other thought I have based on the current amount you are paying there may be merit to putting the Netflix boxes on an "unlimited" account with MTS and the other uses on your current Shaw account, or some other such split.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

I should point out ive monitored my usage for the lasr 6 months and i average about 300gb a month. I wonder if that would fall under excessive use.

I am not keen on two connections or paying for higher data caps. The idea of using voip + netflix as opposed to traditional tv and phone is to keep the bills low.

I start reaching the $100 mark for services and i may as well go to the bundled tv phone internet packages. (which I imagine is exactly what Shaw Bell and Rogers was aiming for when they wanted to start implementing caps)

I rather like my low monthly entertainment bill.

$30 internet (promo price)
$8 a month netflix
$20 a year magic jack.

With the mts plan even after promo price it would be approx $ 50-60 a month for it all as opposed to the $100 a month to stay with shaw.

I guess if the 15mbps plan will not be an issue the only thing i need to find out is if 300gb per month (give or take a few gb) would be considered "excessive" or acceptable with MTS.

Would rather not go through the trouble of switching providers again but I really dislike this practice of shaw internet and these data caps.

Also noticed shaws new internet promo price is for the new broadband 50 which gives 50mbps speeds and 400gb data cap at $30 a month for 6 months. Maybe if I tell them I am going to switch to mts unless they give me that offer for another 6 months I might get that and be ok with shaw for another 6 months. In the end though I will eventually have to switch to MTS to avoid the caps or give in to Shaws stupid caps and lower my Netflix video quality.

Last edited by sparky204; 2011-10-17 at 07:23 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 09:23 PM

I doubt that MTS would consider 300 GB/month excessive usage. MTS is promoting "Unlimited internet" as a competitive advantage over Shaw, so it wouldn't make sense for MTS to pester you for using slightly more than Shaw's data cap. In the current environment, I don't think you would have to worry unless you max out your line speed 24 hours a day, 30 days a month.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

yup I will be calling MTS to make sure then I will be calling Shaw and asking them for the promotional price on the broadband 50 plan for the next 6 months or I am leaving for MTS.

I really applaud MTS for doing away with caps.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-10-18, 01:37 PM
Rookie

No problem with using around 300 GB with MTS. I do it regularly. Excessive use really means people that are into terabytes flowing back and forth. Even those people just get a warning!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-10-18, 04:17 PM

Exactly - you tend to get a warning first... not charged extra or cut off! I've regularly used 200GB+ without any sort of hassle, and that was BEFORE they advertised "unlimited"...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-06, 09:50 PM

MTS Allstream seems to be a good backbone provider to companies (take WIND and Mobilicity for example). Seems to be able to offer a lot of bandwidth to customers.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-07, 09:41 PM

Sort of off topic, what sort of experience have you had with the Magic Jack?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 10:15 AM

The best place to discuss Magic Jack would be in one of these threads:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...t=83225&page=7
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=146788
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 03:59 PM

Several off topic posts deleted. This isn't a comparison thread.

The appropriate place to compare service providers is in

Television Industry / Channels and Providers.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 10:54 AM
Rookie

I know the OP is a bit old, but since it's already been bumped... Keep in mind too, that if you are getting MTS Ultimate TV, the 15 Mb plan and the 32 Mb plan are the same price ($30 on promo, $57 regular -$10 for bundling the 2 services)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-15, 08:01 PM

Thanks Dr. Dave
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-11-16, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

wow thread still here on first page. Crazy.

My Magic jack experience has been great. It can be a little tough getting used to at first but after getting used to the hiccups of setting it up and learning to deal with any problems that arise it works awesome. I almost prefer it to tradtional phone lines. I love the answering machine in your email. I can check my house messages from my phone and there is hardly any telemarketers calling the house. Plus I get a cheap laugh out of having an 800 number.

On topic now.

Shaw agreed to give me the promo price for another 6 months and I have not received any warning yet and am in another month of overage usage and my usage continues to climb as the netflix library just continues to add great programing.

So I will probably continue to stick with shaw even though their once a month calls trying to convince me to expand my serviecs to tv and home phone are laughable when compared to what I pay now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in