rg6 run - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-11, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

rg6 run

Can a RG6 run be split to accommodate 2 receivers? I have a single RG6 run to an upstairs bedroom and was wondering if it would be possible to pickup a second receiver in an adjacent bedroom.

m...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 02:40 AM

Absolutely! As long as the ends are compression type and a proper hpna rated splitter is used, that is how installers usually do it. This is better than having to run two separate cat5 lines direct from the gateway for those that like to run the receivers on cat5 (which you can only have up to 4, or really only 3 if using one ethernet port for internet.)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 08:39 AM

I believe that MTS still requires that they send out an installer for additional boxes.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Dr. Dave - I don't have MTS TV yet, I just wanted to run the lines myself to save on installation costs... I wasn't sure if the installer would require 2 separate runs in this scenario.

Macman - I was actually going to run cat5e/6 cables to all my locations (4 receivers in total plus 1 internet) but that posed the exact problem you described.

So to sum it up... at my service entrance I will have the following;

- 1 RG6 run (that will service the 2 second floor receivers)
- 3 cat5e/6 runs (that will service 2 receivers and 1 internet port)

I don't have the compression type ends on the RG6 run, but I'm assuming MTS will provide it... and the splitter? Do I need anything else?

Thanks guys, your help is appreciated...

m...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 11:03 PM

ya we will terminate and provide a splitter. i hope you didn't get your coax at the dollar store like everyone else does
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 11:15 PM
Rookie

You have done everything required to save on runs, (all locations pre-wired... free install). installer will be happy to put compression ends & a GHPNA-2 splitter.
System would also work if would have been 3 runs of rg6 into a ghpna-3 splitter fed on the 1 coax into the rg(2wire), just needs 1 cat5 run to the PVR location.
p.s. pvr location doesn't matter at which tv, as all tv's access pvr functions through the network.

Only other thought is to make sure phone entrance line (trailer) & block is accessible,... as in, not dry walled into the basement ceiling.

If was me doing the install, i'd have to say *thanks for doing half of it for me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2011-10-16, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

All is done and I will book an appointment tomorrow. I decided to run an RG6 to an additional receiver as was suggested by Newbie131...... just the main receiver has a cat6 run.

mtsguy - no way! RG6 was bought at home depot, no dollar store junk...... lol

thanks again guys........ this forum has been awesome!

m...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in