MTS LTE (Long Term Evolution) discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

MTS LTE (Long Term Evolution) discussion

Advanced high-speed wireless technology to deliver data speeds up to five times faster in Manitoba

WINNIPEG, Sept. 29, 2011 /CNW/ - Building on its position as the leading wireless service provider in Manitoba, MTS today announced plans to deploy advanced Long Term Evolution (LTE), the world's fastest mobile wireless network, beginning in 2012. LTE will provide superior performance for high-speed data, video and multi-media applications and will complement MTS's current advanced 4G wireless services.

"With the deployment of LTE technology, MTS expects to continue to offer the best overall wireless data experience in the most locations within Manitoba," said Kelvin Shepherd, President, MTS. "LTE will further improve our customers' wireless service experience by providing increased data speeds, access to exciting new wireless devices and by increasing their ability to access converged multi-media services across MTS high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi, and mobile wireless networks."

LTE technology is expected to feature initial peak data rates as fast as 75 megabits per second (Mbps) with future data rates of 150 Mbps and beyond. The new LTE network will support average user speeds that are up to five times faster than MTS's current 4G HSPA+ wireless network and will enable MTS to expand its handset options as new LTE enabled devices are introduced in the market.

Planning and infrastructure development is well underway and MTS will turn on the first phase of its new LTE network in 2012. MTS customers with LTE devices have access to MTS's extensive 4G network and roaming capabilities in locations where LTE is not yet available.

"MTS is committed to providing best-in-class telecommunication services in Manitoba and MTS customers will be among the first in the province to experience this world leading technology," added Shepherd. "We expect the cost of our initial LTE investment will be lower than our previous HSPA+ network deployment, and that it will be accommodated within our normal capital funding."

MTS has a strong history of technical leadership and is the first and only carrier in Manitoba to specifically announce its commitment to providing Manitobans with the world's fastest mobile wireless network. MTS's LTE network will operate on the Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) spectrum that MTS acquired in Industry Canada's auction process in 2008.

MTS Press Release
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 02:12 PM

Hmmm... if this is anything like the last network rollout, we should see it hit around 2014... maybe.

Also - would be nice if they carried decent handsets for this new network!
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-02-11, 09:07 PM

MTS Deploying LTE Celluar Service in Winnipeg and Brandon

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...139145754.html

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-02-12, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
Hmmm... if this is anything like the last network rollout, we should see it hit around 2014... maybe.

Also - would be nice if they carried decent handsets for this new network!
Agreed. The rate BB is going I'll want an android device - preferably a Nexus. The iPhone does not interest me in the least.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-02-13, 12:29 AM

Talking

Speaking of... I just got an unlocked Android. I thought the slow, unresponsiveness of my "4G" Blackberry Curve was a sign of an inadequate network until I switched phones.

Not sure if it's the BIS servers or what, but one secure site I use was always terribly slow or unresponsive on the BB. Actually, almost any browsing resulted in network error messages

On my new phone it loads right away AND it remembers user/passwords! I can't believe what I was missing
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-02-14, 11:52 AM

Nexus phones are all unlocked. If you buy one from Telus or Koodo or Rogers, it should work with an MTS SIM. I use a Nexus S myself with MTS.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-02-14, 11:58 AM

Funny, I think I stopped at a koodo kiosk and asked if they sell phones outright and they said no. I bought this Xperia Arc used. Bit of an adjustment but fairly happy.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-02-14, 04:29 PM

what you can do with Koodo is buy the phone and sign up for a plan, then pay off the plan after a month. there's no contract. Granted you make sure the phone you're buying is unlocked or unlockable.

It's pretty ridiculous how bad MTS phone selection still is.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

It looks like MTS 4G LTE is live in Winnipeg and Brandon, although there seems to be some confusion if it's still in beta or not.

http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/wireless/4g+lte

MTS is currently offering two new LTE devices:

Sony Xperia™ ion LTE
Huawei E397 USB Wireless LTE Internet Express Stick

There are supposed to be more devices coming in November.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 07:38 PM

There's also no specific map showing the coverage area, only saying that LTE is available in Winnipeg and Brandon.
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 09:16 PM

From what has been shared, that is correct - LTE will start within Winnipeg and Brandon city limits, switching to HSPA outside of those areas.

Their LTE coverage will be about the same or better than Telus' and Bell's total coverage in the province!
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-09-06, 11:03 PM

Finally a decent Android phone at MTS.

If it had a keyboard I'd buy it yesterday. Alas.
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-09-07, 10:02 AM

@Reed - There are some really impressive all-touch keyboards for Android with predective algorthims. I have used phones with both physical keyboards and other touch screen phones. I find using the Swype keyboard on a touch-only Android my input is easily double my best rate on anything else.
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-09-07, 10:27 AM

Agreed - for quite a while I was stuck with the idea that I needed a physical keyboard to be happy with my smartphone. But it took me maybe two weeks to get used to a touchscreen (and a small one at that - my HTC Liberty only has a 3" screen!) and a decent touch keyboard (also used Swype) and I was a convert.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-09-09, 01:36 AM

ive tried a couple keyboards, i prefer a fold out physical keyboard as an option for two reasons. it eliminates the need for a popup keyboard taking up screen real estate, and because i just prefer a phyical reaction. Heck I own old IBM mechanical keyboards because I love them so much. It's personal preference.

Sooner or later someones bound to put out a decent spec phone with the features I want

Tags
lte , mts wireless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in