Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MTS LTE (Long Term Evolution) discussion

33K views 73 replies 19 participants last post by  mbhydro 
#1 ·
Advanced high-speed wireless technology to deliver data speeds up to five times faster in Manitoba

WINNIPEG, Sept. 29, 2011 /CNW/ - Building on its position as the leading wireless service provider in Manitoba, MTS today announced plans to deploy advanced Long Term Evolution (LTE), the world's fastest mobile wireless network, beginning in 2012. LTE will provide superior performance for high-speed data, video and multi-media applications and will complement MTS's current advanced 4G wireless services.

"With the deployment of LTE technology, MTS expects to continue to offer the best overall wireless data experience in the most locations within Manitoba," said Kelvin Shepherd, President, MTS. "LTE will further improve our customers' wireless service experience by providing increased data speeds, access to exciting new wireless devices and by increasing their ability to access converged multi-media services across MTS high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi, and mobile wireless networks."

LTE technology is expected to feature initial peak data rates as fast as 75 megabits per second (Mbps) with future data rates of 150 Mbps and beyond. The new LTE network will support average user speeds that are up to five times faster than MTS's current 4G HSPA+ wireless network and will enable MTS to expand its handset options as new LTE enabled devices are introduced in the market.

Planning and infrastructure development is well underway and MTS will turn on the first phase of its new LTE network in 2012. MTS customers with LTE devices have access to MTS's extensive 4G network and roaming capabilities in locations where LTE is not yet available.

"MTS is committed to providing best-in-class telecommunication services in Manitoba and MTS customers will be among the first in the province to experience this world leading technology," added Shepherd. "We expect the cost of our initial LTE investment will be lower than our previous HSPA+ network deployment, and that it will be accommodated within our normal capital funding."

MTS has a strong history of technical leadership and is the first and only carrier in Manitoba to specifically announce its commitment to providing Manitobans with the world's fastest mobile wireless network. MTS's LTE network will operate on the Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) spectrum that MTS acquired in Industry Canada's auction process in 2008.

MTS Press Release

See less See more
#5 ·
Speaking of... I just got an unlocked Android. I thought the slow, unresponsiveness of my "4G" Blackberry Curve was a sign of an inadequate network until I switched phones.

Not sure if it's the BIS servers or what, but one secure site I use was always terribly slow or unresponsive on the BB. Actually, almost any browsing resulted in network error messages :rolleyes:

On my new phone it loads right away AND it remembers user/passwords! I can't believe what I was missing :mad:

#7 ·
Funny, I think I stopped at a koodo kiosk and asked if they sell phones outright and they said no. I bought this Xperia Arc used. Bit of an adjustment but fairly happy.

#13 ·
@Reed - There are some really impressive all-touch keyboards for Android with predective algorthims. I have used phones with both physical keyboards and other touch screen phones. I find using the Swype keyboard on a touch-only Android my input is easily double my best rate on anything else.

#14 ·
Agreed - for quite a while I was stuck with the idea that I needed a physical keyboard to be happy with my smartphone. But it took me maybe two weeks to get used to a touchscreen (and a small one at that - my HTC Liberty only has a 3" screen!) and a decent touch keyboard (also used Swype) and I was a convert.

#15 ·
ive tried a couple keyboards, i prefer a fold out physical keyboard as an option for two reasons. it eliminates the need for a popup keyboard taking up screen real estate, and because i just prefer a phyical reaction. Heck I own old IBM mechanical keyboards because I love them so much. It's personal preference.

Sooner or later someones bound to put out a decent spec phone with the features I want :)

#16 ·
Here's the press release, so the LTE rollout is now official.
WINNIPEG, MB, Sept. 25, 2012 /CNW/ - MTS is proud to be the first to offer Manitobans Long Term Evolution (LTE) Wireless technology. LTE is known as the gold standard in wireless technologies and recognized as the world's fastest mobile network. Since the end of August, customers on MTS's 4G LTE Wireless Network have been enjoying even faster speeds while surfing the Internet, downloading content and streaming videos and music.

"We continue to invest in bringing Manitobans the most advanced technology the industry has to offer," said MTS President Kelvin Shepherd. "We are pleased with the performance of our new network, and with its deployment, MTS continues to offer the best overall wireless data experience to more Manitobans than any other provider in Manitoba."

MTS's 4G LTE Wireless Network is currently available in Winnipeg and Brandon and complements its 4G HSPA+ Wireless services. MTS plans to expand its new network to more communities across Manitoba in 2013. Customers who do not reside in a 4G LTE coverage area are still able to take advantage of MTS's new 4G LTE wireless devices on the current 4G HSPA+ wireless network.

Please visit www.mts.ca/4glte to learn more about MTS's new 4G LTE Wireless Network and see the MTS LTE devices offered. MTS will continue to expand its handset line-up as new LTE-enabled devices become available.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1041647/1131555

#20 ·
MTS adds Sony Xperia T

MTS customers able to buy "The Bond Phone" in time for the holidays

MTS today announced that Sony Mobile's newest and most advanced smartphone - Xperia™ T - is now available in MTS Connect stores across Manitoba. Made famous as the phone used by 007 in the latest James Bond theatrical release Skyfall, Xperia T offers Sony's latest HD technology, NFC-enabled connectivity, and a suite of state-of-the-art, preloaded media applications.

Xperia T features include a 4.6 inch HD display powered by the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine to provide razor-sharp HD images. Capturing photos is made possible by a 13 megapixel HD camera with a quick-launch feature that goes from sleep to snap in 1.5 seconds. Xperia T sends photos, music and videos wirelessly to other NFC-enabled devices by simply tapping them together to establish a connection. The device also comes with preloaded apps designed to help users organize and share music, videos, and photos.

"Customers will enjoy apps like Album that lets them edit photos on the go," said Mr. Shepherd. "And with MTS's 4G LTE Network in Winnipeg and Brandon, they can upload and share photos with family and friends faster than ever before."

MTS subscribers with Xperia T will have access to Manitoba's only 4G LTE Network which offers download speeds of up to 75 Mbps. And, with 97% of the Manitoba population covered by MTS's 4G HSPA+ Network, they will continue to have great high speed coverage outside of Winnipeg and Brandon. Customers will also benefit from over 185 MTS Wi-Fi hotspots across Manitoba.

With plans priced as low as $48.50 per month, the Xperia T starts at $79.99 (based on a 36-month term).
I also saw a banner ad on the MTS site that the Samsung Galaxy S III is now available for pre-order.

#23 ·
#25 ·
MTS adds the Samsung Galaxy S4 to its wireless line-up

MTS and Samsung Canada today announced that the Samsung Galaxy S4 will be available to MTS customers on May 3, 2013.

MTS Galaxy S4 subscribers will have access to the MTS 4G LTE Network, which offers download speeds of up to 75 Mbps. And, with 97% of the Manitoba population covered by MTS's 4G HSPA+ Network, MTS customers will continue to have great high-speed wireless coverage across the province.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 will be priced at $199.99 (based on 36-month term) and for the month of May can be added to an Unlimited Data plan starting at only $45.00 a month.

#26 ·
#28 ·
MTS to expand 4G LTE to reach more than 90% of MB population over next 5 years

MTS enhances wireless service through extended network sharing agreement with Rogers

MTS customers to benefit from faster speeds and improved roaming experience

WINNIPEG, June 13, 2013 /CNW/ - Building on the successful joint deployment of its 4G HSPA+ wireless network in Manitoba, MTS Inc. (MTS), Manitoba's leading wireless provider, today announced the extension of its wireless network sharing arrangement with Rogers Communications Partnership (Rogers). Under this enhanced arrangement, MTS and Rogers will share the costs of deploying and operating 4G LTE technology in Manitoba.

MTS previously announced plans to expand 4G LTE coverage to six additional communities in 2013 and plans to continue to expand its 4G LTE network to reach more than 90 per cent of Manitoba's population over the next five years.

"MTS was the first to launch LTE in Manitoba and now we're finding innovative ways to economically expand and make our 4G LTE service even better," said Kelvin Shepherd, President, MTS. "We will continue to deliver exceptional wireless coverage and plans for Manitobans while competing vigorously with all market participants, including Rogers."

MTS's 4G LTE Wireless Network will be able to support peak data speeds of up to 150 Mbps, doubling its previous capability. MTS customers will also benefit from an improved roaming experience when travelling outside of Manitoba, with faster connection times and future access to LTE roaming. MTS will continue to obtain competitive roaming rates as part of a long-term agreement with Rogers that enables MTS to cost effectively support the growing national and international roaming requirements of its customers. MTS will also improve its ability to offer an even larger range of wireless devices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.