MTS LTE (Long Term Evolution) discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-11-17, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I think you are misunderstanding the pricing. The Jet Hub is priced like cellphone hardware - $124.99 upfront price if you sign up for a 24-month contract or $349.99 if you don't sign a contract.

The Jet Hub Voice and Data Flex Plan starts at $ 63.50 a month and flexes with the amount of data you use each month.

I would guess you would be able to return the Jet Hub and cancel your contract as long as you didn't download more than the trial limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-11-20, 01:08 PM

Yes you are right I did not see the /mo charge, thought it was 125/mo rather than the up front charge. Will look into this.
Local tech thinks they have LTE equipment at the tower here but no time frame as to when it would be activated.
Just trying to find more specs on the device to know how it would connect to my office network. Might stop at the local phone center today and see if they have one to play with; no substitute for experience!
-C.

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-11-23, 11:03 AM

Well, I stopped at the local MTS phone center and the nice lady that works there showed me the same USB dongle I had tried a few years ago. She was aware of the JetHub but did not have one in stock; said they have never sold one and did not recommend going this route.
Looks like I am stuck for the forseeable future.

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...

post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 2013-11-25, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

MTS launches domestic and international LTE roaming

MTS, Manitoba's leading full-service telecommunications provider, now offers customers access to LTE Wireless service in urban centres across Canada. MTS also announced today that customers can enjoy LTE roaming in several international locations, including most major urban centres in the U.S.A.

"MTS is proud that our customers have the ability to stay connected to LTE while travelling outside of Manitoba," said MTS President Kelvin Shepherd. "MTS customers can connect to LTE in over 80 locations in Canada, and we are one of only two Canadian carriers to announce the launch of international LTE roaming."

LTE roaming is automatically enabled for MTS customers using the latest LTE devices, such as the Samsung Galaxy S4™, BlackBerry ® Q10, and Sony Xperia™ ZL. LTE devices will seamlessly transfer to LTE where available.

MTS offers U.S. and international data travel packs that allow customers to pre-purchase data they can use when roaming outside of Canada. Added to existing wireless plans, the data packs save money and take the worry out of staying connected when travelling.

MTS launched its 4G LTE wireless network in Winnipeg and Brandon in 2012, and expanded the service to Victoria Beach, Grand Beach, Portage la Prairie, Selkirk, Steinbach and Ste. Anne in 2013. MTS plans to cover more than 90 per cent of Manitoba's population with 4G LTE wireless service over the next five years.
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-07-21, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

MTS launches LTE in Swan River

This is the latest in a series of expansions this year that brought LTE to Dauphin, Falcon Lake, Jessica Lake, West Hawk Lake, Gimli, Hecla, Altona, Winkler, Thompson and Morden. More than 850,000 Manitobans now have access to MTS's 4G LTE Wireless Network.
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-07-21, 01:09 PM

Few weeks ago I helped one of my relatives to "get connected".
His cottage (Caddy Lake) is in a valley surrounded by hills and
completely cut off from the outside world (cell signal wise).

A 20' telescopic antenna on the roof was all that was needed.
But connecting to three towers - West Hawk Lake, Falcon Lake and Jessica Lake -
I was never able to get anything but the 850MHz 3G band, Rogers or MTS...
post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-07-21, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

That's odd that they weren't able to get LTE from any of the 3 towers. Did they have an LTE device and which carrier were they with?

I wonder if LTE wasn't fully ready at that time.
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-07-21, 02:04 PM

Yes, we had a Nexus 5 and (I think) an iPhone 5c from MTS.
And a generic amp for the whole 700-2700 band...

Could be we didn't go high enough and only 850MHz was "visible"...

I actually was not expecting any 4G MTS since this table doesn't show any 1700MHz transmitters around
http://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/w...raphical_input
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-07-21, 04:48 PM

As a lower frequency spectrum, 850 travels better than 1700 or 1900. Could be that it just wasn't reaching you.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-07-21, 06:50 PM

Looking at the MTS LTE coverage map it appears that the area around Caddy Lake is at the fringe of LTE service from Falcon Lake towers and appears to be very spotty at best.
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-08-20, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-08-29, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-09-23, 06:51 PM

Posting on Facebook Sept 23 saying that MTS activated 4G HSPA Network in the town of Snow Lake on the 22nd.
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-10-28, 05:14 PM

Facebook announcement Oct 28 that MTS expanded their 4G LTE wireless network to Pilot Mound. Also stated that more locations will be added in the next 5 years.
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 2014-11-21, 10:02 AM

850 mhz lte?

Hi a tech from MTS told me they will be deploying 850MHZ LTE soon any one know about this?

Tags
lte , mts wireless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in