Former Shaw customers, are you happy with MTS TV? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-23, 11:20 PM

i foresee a problem if you are hoping to keep shaw and MTS at the same time. the installer most likely would charge you $25 dollars per tv to install a second outlet at every tv as we usually use the shaw coax. my suggestion. you be VERY helpful to the installer and help him run the extra outlets and get everything ready and moved for him. i can only speak for myself but when customers offer to help out like that i like to go over and above for no additional charges.

Last edited by mtsguy; 2011-09-23 at 11:24 PM. Reason: cuz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsguy View Post
why dont you just try mts, its not like you have to buy equipment or sign contracts. you can be like everyone else in winnipeg and switch back and fourth every 3 months lol
I don't understand that reasoning. I researched and decided MTS best suited my needs and unless they completely drop the ball, I won't be switching. I only wish they had some loyalty program in place (at least one you don't have to threaten to get).

Also, it doesn't hurt that my daughter works there.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Ah thanks, mtsguy. I hadn't thought of that. Fortunately though, I do have extra coax in place to all but one of TVs (and that one is easy to reach) that I would use for the MTS feed.

The other problem I would face is that none of my TVs have dual coax inputs so I'd have to switch cables to switch between Shaw and MTS.

But I really don't need to run the parallel services for very long or to each TV. It would only be to see what the service is like and/or to let us finish watching what we have on the Shaw boxes before we cut off that service.

and Spike4881, I have found that research isn't always enough. There are always things that the research won't tell you. Things you don't find out until you try the service. That's why I am asking for the feedback here. As for the reference to switching & Winnipeg, that has to do with Winnipeggers' reputations for trying to get a deal and switching between Shaw and MTS every 6 months or so to get the new subscriber deals.

So far the ~36 hour HD limit is proving to be the major stumbling block. That really doesn fit in with our viewing habits. The other things that have been identified we could live with. So now it is a matter of how frustrated we will be with our existing service in the next little while.

Thanks to all.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritiker View Post
The other problem I would face is that none of my TVs have dual coax inputs so I'd have to switch cables to switch between Shaw and MTS.
The coax would be connected to the MTS STB and the STB would be connected to the TV using the highest quality cable (HDMI or component for HD, S-Video, composite or coax for SD). You wouldn't use coax between the STB and the TV unless you had no other choice.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Right Dr.Dave. What was I thinking? That was embarrassing!!

Looks like I can use cat5e to connect the MTS STBs and the 2wire, which I also have running to all the rooms.

Two other threads that I found particularly helpful were My Home Network including MTS TV and MTS Ultimate TV+Internet Router?
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-26, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Having dad a chance to try MTS Ultimate TV at a friend's house I learned that:
  1. It seems possible to schedule series recordings for one or more individual channels. This is, for me, an improvement over Shaw's approach whereby one can record series only for an individual channel or for all channels.
  2. My friends tell me that if they are recording a stream, one of the TVs must be tuned to that stream or the recording stops. I wasn't able to try this while I was there but surely this cannot be, right? It doesn't make sense and contradicts what I though I read elsewhere in this forum. I will try it the next chance I get.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-26, 01:36 PM

Point 2 is definitely false. I frequently have 3 recordings scheduled at once when I have all the STBs off and they record perfectly. The only thing I can think of is that if you have 2HD + 1 SD streams recording and you try to tune to a 4th stream, Mediaroom will give you the choice to stop a recording, but only if you confirm that's what you want to do. Maybe that's what your friend was trying to explain.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-26, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

That makes sense. Thanks, Dr.Dave.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, to all of you, for your helpful comments.

I like what I have seen and heard about the MTS Ultimate TV package and would switch to it if I could but the 36 hour HD recording limit makes that impossible at the moment. I can live with the reduction in the number of incoming streams but not that.

We rarely watch live TV anymore and watch almost everything on a time-shifted basis, sometimes by a matter of months. There are still show from the spring that we haven't seen. At the moment I have 3 TB (2 * (.5 + 1)) of storage that is about 2/3 used.

I will monitor the situation and revisit it when MTS provides for more recording time or if my Shaw experience becomes more intolerable.

Thanks again to all for your insights.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:44 PM

That's a shame, but at least you spent your time researching and figuring it out. Maybe some day MTS will allow for a larger PVR HD!
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Oh Mozza, I may not be switching right away but I am going to be actively checking the MTS web site periodically and also re-examining our watching habits. I don't actually expect it will be too long before MTS adds capacity.

Thanks again.
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 05:21 PM

I wish I was allowed to teach you the ways of the P2P networks for episodes... would save you money if you didn't mind the grey market of it all... but with what you've said about your viewing habits, it would work so well...
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Mozza, I am well aware of the techniques involved, and how well they match our viewing habits and lament the need for people's having to resort to them, but I prefer, for a variety of reasons, not to use them. But thanks for the thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in