Former Shaw customers, are you happy with MTS TV? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-19, 11:44 AM

Quote:
As for program retention, I was curious whether my default could be set to Keep all episodes until I erase.
That option isn't available unfortunately - I would use it. I set up all the programs I watch as series with "Keep all episodes", so it works fairly well.

I had a Shaw PVR (6416) for about 18 months and I find the guide and recording more reliable on MTS - almost foolproof for the broadcast networks. Sometimes the specialty channels aren't accurate with their schedules or don't provide complete info regarding episodes and original air dates.

There are some minor differences in the way the scheduling works, but there aren't any showstoppers. For example, the manual recording on MTS doesn't have a repeat option, but the regular recording works well enough that there are very few situations where you would need a repeating manual recording.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-19, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Dr.Dave. That is helpful.

On another note:
I posted here in this MTS forum to try and hear from the folks who had switched from Shaw to MTS and were happy with the MTS service.

I also posted in a Shaw thread to hear about options (other than MTS) and, primarily, from folks who had left Shaw and then come back. That latter thread seems to have been merged into this one...sort of defeating its purpose, no? I doubt that those who left Shaw, for MTS or others (Bell), and then went back to Shaw are reading this particular thread. I am now no longer able to reach those folks, should there be any.

I didn't think I was violating any rules since the target audiences of the two threads were different and I was asking, in each case, for info about different aspects of my dilemma.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-19, 04:03 PM

Two comments on the MTS PVR

1 - If you set a series to "record all new episodes" if the show changes to a different night it will still catch it.

2 - Some speciality channels cause issue as they air shows after the US source so the original air date is before the actual first airing in Canada. When this situation happens a "record only new episodes" setting will completely miss the recording. The only way around this is to set a series recording to also capture reruns.

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-19, 04:17 PM
Veteran

1. So will Shaw's PVR.

2. This is a guide issue and happens on Shaw as well.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-20, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, CoryB and DSgamby.
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-21, 08:50 PM

Thumbs up

I have been on MTS Ultimate TV for over a year now. Recently I made up my mind to switch to SHAW for various reasons. (Free NHL Center ICE and "faster" internet, new HD PVR.)

However, boy am I glad I didn't cancel my MTS service right away. The Shaw PVR in my opinion SUCKS compared to the MTS one. The guide is still the same old crappy shaw guide. Using the Shaw PVR was a painful experieance compared with the MTS PVR. True that recording space is not "yet" expandable on the MTS Pvr, but to me that is far outweighed by the other features provided by the MTS PVR. Long story short, after 2 days i disconnected my Shaw box, switched my input back to the MTS Pvr and plugged my router back into the 2-wire and promptly took everything back to the shaw retail location (only to have to wait in line almost an hour to speak to a CSR to cancel.) Free NHL center Ice was enough to get me to try Shaw, but it wasn't enough to get me to overlook the substandard PVR they gave me.

Granted, their "Shaw Gateway Experience" solution looks promising, but price wise it can't even touch what MTS is doing.

Oh and slightly off topic, I have Bolt internet with MTS as well, and it ran circles around the 25mbit internet service that I had from Shaw. They said that I wouldn't be able to get the modem for their faster BB50 internet for a month or 2...WTF?

Long story short. Tried Shaw, but ran screaming in the oposite direction.

Last edited by wstock; 2011-09-21 at 08:51 PM. Reason: cause i felt like it
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks wstock. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 09:06 AM

Hopefully the issue of recording space will be fixed if/when they roll out the bigger HDD.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 11:10 AM

FYI I know there were Telus customers in BC (using Optik) who were replacing the internal HD of their PVR with a larger one. This, of course, would NOT be supported by MTS!
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the limited capacity is the biggest thing preventing me from trying MTS. The reduced number of streams, at the moment the two DCX3400s I have allow me to record/watch 4 HD streams and the additional SD boxes plus analog allow me to watch different content on any of my 4 Vs, is a second, somewhat lesser concern. So far no one who has switched away and then switched back to Shaw has commented favourably on Shaw.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 03:40 PM
tux

With all due respect, your results may be partly biased by the forum you're posting in. Being an MTS forum, most of the people in this forum will have MTS TV, and will have switched from Shaw at some point in the past, and stuck with MTS. If you posted in the Shaw forum "Former MTS customers, are you happy with Shaw?", you'd probably find people who have tried both and stuck with Shaw, and didn't like MTS. I'm not trying to start a Shaw vs MTS flame war, I'm just pointing out that if you're looking for favourable comments about Shaw, the MTS forum is the wrong place to look.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 06:29 PM

He did post that in the Shaw forum - no one answered...

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2011-09-22 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the preceding post
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

I tried. That thread in the Shaw forum was merged into this one.

When I asked why I was told:
Quote:
Your content was duplicative and comparisons threads belong in the Canadian Television forum. In addition, much of your questions are in existing threads and don't require new threads.
I am finding the comments here quite useful and am grateful for the responses.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-23, 09:23 AM

why dont you just try mts, its not like you have to buy equipment or sign contracts. you can be like everyone else in winnipeg and switch back and fourth every 3 months lol
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-09-23, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I am thinking of doing just that. A 3 month trial of MTS TV will tell me pretty well everything I need to know. And at the end I can cancel either the Shaw or the MTS service.

As to switching back and forth, well, I like a deal as well as the next person but switching back and forth isn't my style.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in