2wire disconnecting - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy 2wire disconnecting

My 2wire seems to keep disconnecting my computers very regularly. The TV's generally work fine (I have 6 boxes) but the computers and the xbox360 are always losing connection. Rebooting the router constantly is not a long term answer.
Has anyone else been noticing this or know of a fix? Right now we have 6 tv, 4 computers (wireless connected), ps3, xbox360 (constantly on) and now an ipad2, accessing the router at one time or another.
Anyone have any clues? Ooh the computers are all running windows XP right now.

Last edited by cman5; 2011-09-14 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 12:31 PM

Are all your devices wireless or are some hard-wired? Do they all disconnect at the same time? Are you using a third-party router or are you just using the 2wire?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

All of my devices are wireless except for one computer which is hardwired right to the 2wire router. Even that one loses connection when I'm on the net sometimes.
I'm only using the 2wire as my router. nothing else.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 02:30 PM

It sounds like your main problem is with your wireless connections. If your wired and wireless connections don't all disconnect at the same time, I would suspect wireless interference. You can try different wireless channels to see if you can find one that is less crowded. External interference from other devices is also a possibility.

You can access the 2Wire at http://192.168.100.254. You will need the password on the side of the 2Wire to change your wireless settings.

One thing that could affect your wired connection is too many connections if you use torrents.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

That's what i was thinking. I will give it a shot and see if it helps.
Thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 06:08 PM

If the information about six tvs and one PC being wired is correct this would sugest there is a secondary router/switch in the mix as the standard 2Wire units only have four wired ports.

Could you please clarify a little further on if all six of those TV sets have set-top boxes currently? Also, is the 2wire the only router/switch on your network? If there is a second router/switch can you please supply the make and model.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Only the computer nearest the router is hardwired plus the tv with the pvr. All other TV's (5) have set top boxes. There is no other router in the system. Only the 2wire.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 07:48 PM

CoryB, the other STBs are probably connected by coax.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-14, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes, Dr. Dave your right they are connected by coax.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-15, 11:55 AM

I had the same problem with disconnects. I have my PC, Samsung blu-ray, and a xbox360 wired to my 2wire router. I use Serviio to DLNA stream my PC's video to the Samsung blu-ray. When I changed my IP address's to static instead of DHCP, all my disconnect problems disappeared. I know it doesn't make much sense, since my renew time for DHCP was set for 1 week. Just go into your network settings of your TV, Xbox, etc and change the settings to static IP.

Also, I've noticed various brands of anti-virus can affect DLNA streaming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in