MTS Loyalty? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

MTS Loyalty?

So I'm finding I'm paying quite a bit more for my MTS services than I used to... and not getting much more service for it. The service has been "okay", except for the half-dozen outages I've had in the past while.

I've been an MTS customer for several years, so I thought maybe it's time to play the "retention" game. But has anyone ever had any luck getting a discount or promo through the loyalty line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-08-27, 11:46 PM

how long ago was the last promotion you were on and what was it? what services do you have? how new is your cell phone contract if you have one? how long have you had MTS? do you pay your bills on time?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-08-28, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

I would say, promo-wise, I'm on the BOLT internet one now, and I had the free PVR and set-top box rental for 2 years, which ended two months ago. I have the bundle discounts, including the "free wireless plan".

I have Ultimate TV, Home Phone, BOLT internet, Smartphone plan and AAA alarm.

My wireless contract started in December 2009.

I've been with MTS as a customer with at least two services since 2003. I've been an MTS TV customer since 2007.

I pay my bills on time.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-08-28, 04:24 AM

I can't confirm this, but from my personal experience & what I've seen on the job, it seems to depend on the sales rep that you talk to, and IIRC, a minimum 3 month period from the end of the last promo before they may consider another promo.

A lot of customers will use the "I want X, or I'll just switch to Shaw!" threat, but one of my bosses said we should never argue with someone threatening to switch, just tell them that is their choice.

HTH
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-08-28, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

I figured since I just received my first bill that has no active promo on it (other than the 3-month BOLT which I plan to cancel next bill), it would have been a good time to call. I might wait until I cancel the BOLT promo and try then.

Really all I'd like would be the PVR credit to go back on permanently, or perhaps a wireless feature for free. That's about it. I'm trying to be realistic here, but I've heard others with other providers getting more, so...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-08-28, 06:32 PM

Prior to leaving Bell for MTS, I was able to get a free PVR rental from Bell and some extra goodies. All I did was phone and ask the cancellation department if I was under contract and if there was anything preventing me from cancelling (knowing full well that there wasn't). It got the ball rolling and I was quickly forwarded to someone from retentions.

I felt like it worked well because I wasn't phoning because I was threatening to leave. I was just exploring my options and asking if I could leave without penalty.

Prior to calling I would phone Bell and Shaw and see if they're offering anything to switch. Then when you call MTS you'll be prepared and have some real numbers to explain why you're considering changing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 12:46 PM

Hey Mozza... any update on how this went? I'm planning on calling retentions to try and get some sort of deal. I've been with MTS for 3 or 4 years and overall I am happy with the service, just would like to pay a little less.

Does anyone have the current promotions that Shaw is offering? I'd like to see if they'll match those for me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-09-28, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

My Bolt promo just ended... so I'm back on my full bundle. I think I might wait one more bill and call again.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Going to try to call this week - any advice or tips? My goal is to try for about $20 in discounts over what I get now... that would reduce a $220 bill to under $200...

I'm also planning on dropping almost all of my TV channel packages once the December 8th change occurs, now that TSN/TSN2 is in the FreeHD package... but I'm not going to tell them that yet...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2011-12-31, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Well, my dealings with loyalty did not go very well - no discounts above the current bundle were offered, just suggestions on how to reduce my bill (drop to slower internet speeds, drop timeshift, etc.).

So what I did instead was drop $25 worth of programming from my package, pretty much leaving me at basic Ultimate (plus timeshift HD), and I'll download my shows now instead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in