2wire degrades over time? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

2wire degrades over time?

When it was first installed less than 2 months ago it would take anything I could throw at it. This included many torrents and watching on more than one TV all at the same time.

Even then I noticed that download speed goes up and down at a cycle of about 45 seconds. This is not just torrents but it can even be a download from Microsoft.

Lately I've been noticing that if I load too many simultaneous torrents my Internet connection grinds to a halt (TV still works). My router is responsive but the 2wire is not. I could not browse to its configuration screen to check the statistics, it would time out for a moment or 2.

Last night it got to the point that if I started a single torrent it knocked out the Internet AND the TV. I had to powercycle the 2wire to get anything to work again. Once I did this everything was back to "normal" and the 2wire statistics were all reset.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the 2wire running out of memory? Does the software have a memory leak? Does it cache DNS queries indefinitely? Is this "by design"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 02:06 PM

I noticed that a few months ago but it went away by itself. And just simply visiting a site that hosts torrents was enough to kill my internet, usually requiring me to reset the 2wire. I believe downloading torrents was fine, but visiting torrent sites caused the issue. No issues now though, and at the time I was having issues no one else on this forum reported it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 04:17 PM

Have you tried throttling your upload speeds in your torrent client? Try restricting them to 20-30 kb and see if it makes a difference. You can also restrict the number of connections in most torrent clients, so you may want to give that a try as well.

LG 47LK520 - Denon 1910 - Bell 6400 - Harmony 720 - Optoma HD200x -Pro-Ject Xpression III

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 04:56 PM
Veteran

I would also limit total connections and speed. Depending on the router, total connections should be in the 25-100 range. I've seen some bog down at 25. Limit maximum speeds to no more than 80% of the actual maximum line speed, slower when using the internet directly. Even better, get a high quality router that supports QOS or a DD-WRT compatible router.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 05:16 PM

check your RG firewall and see if you have any port forwards called Teredo. This is an IPv6 port forward that the RG seems to add if you have PnP active on your RG.

I had this happen many months ago, and I just turned off IPv6 on my Computer (I forget the commands but you could google it). You can also turn of PnP on the RG, that will stop the Teredo port forward from being added. Then remove all the port forwards that are there and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I will let you know it's not my router (WRT54GL/Tomato1.28). When this happens my router is responsive but the 2wire is not. I can connect to my router web page but not the 2wire web page.

I never experienced this with the Speedstream/Actiontec modems.

It's not a torrent setting either because after I powercycle the 2wire the problem disappears.

I'm using DMZplus mode and the router receives a Public IP. I manually configured DNS on my router to the 2 MTS DNS servers and not the 2wire.

I should see if there's a way to telnet to the 2wire and check CPU/Network load.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 10:44 PM
Rookie

I've done some troubleshooting with MTS in the past regarding the silver 2Wire router. He ended up restoring it to factory settings, clearing everything off of it. These 2Wire routers apparently store TONS of information when you use Skype and uTorrent which bogs them down.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 08:24 AM

I use the 2wire with a Linksys router. My internet degrades over time also. After a fresh reset I get 16+mbs. After a couple of months, I am down to 5mbs. Factor reset ... back to 16!

Very annoying I must say.

I wish Bell would just provide a dumb modem

PS I do not do any torrents or skype
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 02:13 PM
Rookie

If Skype and uTorrent are leaving information on the 2Wire that slows down the internet connection I am sure there are hundreds of other pieces of software that do the same!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 02:38 PM
Veteran

Sounds like a crappy modem. Is it possible to use a different modem with MTS?

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 02:52 PM

The 2wire modem/router is required if you have MTS Ultimate TV.

I've been using mine for about 18 months with no problem.

As mentioned, limit the upstream speed in your torrent program to leave enough bandwidth for ACKs and browser inputs. Also limit the number of connections to prevent the router from getting overloaded - I use 100.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 04:17 PM
Veteran

My router has some settings to manage P2PP.
Code:
IP Filter Settings (adjust these for P2P)
Maximum Ports    (Default: 4096, Range: 256 - 4096)
TCP Timeout (in seconds)    (Default: 3600, Range: 1 - 86400)
UDP Timeout (in seconds)    (Default: 120, Range: 1 - 86400)
Decreasing timeouts will reduce performance degradation when there are a lot of dropped packets. Does the 2wire have anything similar?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 05:28 PM

The 2wire is optimized for IPTV and I don't think it allows that level of end-user tinkering.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 02:44 PM
Rookie

The 2wire does have said settings, through a back door to access it's MDC (Management & Diagnostic Console),.. but indeed not for end-user access, as to possible permanent damages.
Calling MTS & asking to have time out values changed to,.. TCP to 8 mins & UDP to 2 mins, may solve some of these issues. Helping to stop the Network address translation table in the 2wire from railing to 100 %, which will cause the internet to be slow and can result in video impairments.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Calling MTS & asking to have time out values changed to,.. TCP to 8 mins & UDP to 2 mins
I just had someone tell me this yesterday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in