So....slow - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

So....slow

Has anyone noticed that the main PVR box and the secondary boxes for Ultimate are very slow? Sometimes on my secondary box, it will just straight up say "PVR Not available, try again later". Other times I will press guide 8 times before it actually pops up. New batteries, close to the box. I don't have a clue what the issue is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 12:12 AM

I've been having the same "lag" issue since the software update a while back.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 12:41 AM

You could have a problem with too much daylight or the back-light from your TV interfering with the IR signal. I have this problem with the morning sun from my east window, even though the sun doesn't shine on the PVR. I have to partially close the blind and then it works.

I notice that when the PVR receives a signal from the remote, the green light around the power button will flash for confirmation. If there's too much interference, the light doesn't flash.

Compact florescents can also cause interference.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 12:47 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the thread on that issue:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 02:03 AM

I know that a little over a year ago the type of cables used could cause issues too, especially with secondary boxes. Make sure all your boxes use Cat5e (square cable ends) and not coxial (round cable ends) if possible.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 04:15 AM

I still often use coax when replacing or installing for customers. Partly because there is only 4 ethernet ports, so for people with internet, you are only able to run 3 stb's on cat5. I still think that good coax (rg6) with compression ends and proper splitter should work pretty much the same as cat5.

Of the few installs that I've done all cat5, I've still noticed the lag. It seems to be software related, like others have said, since the update. When changing channels on the 1200's, there seems to be quite a delay, too.

I wonder if it's because all 3 streams are being buffered/cached now. I like the idea that you can go to a channel that is already being watched on another TV and start rewinding it right away. But I wonder if the added caching 2 more streams might be part of the problem.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I wish they could release an update that the hardware is 100% capable of running properly. I only have the main stb and the one additional and both are connected via cat5.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-05, 12:23 AM

RG6 cable is fine, i dont know why you guys hate it so much. RG6, Compression Ends and HPNA splitter and no staples threw the cable, thats all good. The secondary boxes do take some time to pause tv after switching to a channel, its not next to instant as is on the 1216. That has been the case since they were able to pause. To much interference on the IR side of things confuses the box, it gets IR light from the sun and other sources, and is constantly filtering it out from the actual remote IR. that over taxes the processor in the 1216 to, does your 1216 run hotter than usual?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 02:02 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up

Wow thanks out to *mtsguy. Sun tanning PVR processor... explained & solved a problem been having with hot pvr that never made sense. Is not the heat of the sun that was bugging it, but was the IR.
Solved the problem. TY.

Am happy to see a good explanation to people as to some of the extent needed to make the system run properly. Good RG6 coax, no crappy dollar store coax with cheezy ends & not the beige stuff (rg59), no staples in the coax. Up to date & correct cables, HPNA ends & splitters, & all the other factors that may come to effect system performance.

I always consider the system as a chain,.. only as good as the weakest link. As a chain goes,.. all weight must be carried through each link, the weakest link determines the chains overall ability. As the system goes,.. all information must pass through All cables & connectors, in full duplex (both ways), overall system performance may be greatly effected by 1 bad coax, incorrect splitter or ends.
Or as mtsguy has made me see the light,.. even pvr tanning can have a drastic effect.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 02:05 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
So, Dr.Dave and I are chopped liver (posts 3, 4)?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 02:55 PM
Rookie

Wow, mybad.
And a double thanks out to *Dr.Dave & *57, for them putting the facts out there for us to realize & consider. TY TY.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-08-07, 03:01 AM

"I always consider the system as a chain,.. only as good as the weakest link. As a chain goes,.. all weight must be carried through each link, the weakest link determines the chains overall ability. As the system goes,.. all information must pass through All cables & connectors, in full duplex (both ways), overall system performance may be greatly effected by 1 bad coax, incorrect splitter or ends.
Or as mtsguy has made me see the light,.. even pvr tanning can have a drastic effect."

exactly, i had had cases were im doing 3 tv's on coax, first two are RG6 hooked up, working fine, last tv is some really poor quality copperbraid 59 that cannot be replaced, threw kitchen cabinets, enclosed ceiling etc, as soon as i connected it, the other two tv's on coax started to pixelate. the reason for this is, coax cabling is shielded from outside interference, radio, microwaves, OTA television etc, any bad cabling, ei, dollar store copper braid 59, acts like an antenna picking up all this noise and inserting it on the HPNA network, so even tho 2 tv's have great coax, that 1 RG59 cable with poor shielding thats been stapled threw 6 times, brings the whole RF network down. thats why cat5 is preferred. its not RF. but, if you have brand new RG6 with compression ends, proper splitters, no staples etc, you won't have problems. Even older 59 that shaw/videon used is still good cable, belden, commscope etc. Its when people "renovate" and stop at the dollar store for their tv cable you start having issues. they are basically running "antennas" in their walls to pick up noise and RF junk. that is why ends need to be changed and cable needs to be high quaility. a comment i get alot from cust's is that "that cable worked fine on classic, or worked fine on classic shaw" thats becuase its not digital, any interference that was picked up was either filtered out by the tv or so minimal you didn't even notice. this is also why some installers are hesitant to light up all the outlets in your house incase you want to move your tv's around. not only are you getting extra dB loss on your splitter from over splitting it, all those open ends are chances for noise to get in the system.

sorry for the long post, just like to share some knowledge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in