Samsung DLNA and 2wire - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Samsung DLNA and 2wire

Just wondering if anybody else is having problems when using Samsungs DLNA TV's and blu-ray players to stream content from their PC's? I keep getting random disconnect messages. I'm using Serviio as the media server on my PC, as it's much better than Samsungs software. I am using a wired cat 5 connection. Someone suggested that I try a different router, such as Netgear or Belkin. Does MTS allow me to do this, or are you limited to using the 2wire router?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 07:04 PM
Rookie

Hey,

I use Samsung AllShare to stream my movies, tv shows, pictures and music from my computer to my Samsung TV. Maybe give that a try? Works great with my 2Wire.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 07:51 PM

bimbamboom, are both the PC and TV wired?

Are you running any torrents when you have problems? (Torrents can use a lot of open connections and cause problems for some routers.)

You can use a third-party router in addition to the 2wire modem/router. See this thread for a discussion on the subject and the instructions from MTS.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=139298

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

I've tried Samsung's Allshare program, but I like Serviio better. It is more customizable and there is a good support forum available.

My connections are all wired. The disconnects happen even when no torrents are running.

I'm going to try a static IP address on the Samsung, and see if it makes any difference.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 10:22 AM

Personally I use Boxee Box. Love the interface, and the ability to use the ton of Internet "apps" on it like onion news, youtube, netflicks, etc.....

I know it is $200 for the box, but it is so easy to use and it automatically updates to my NAS server grabbing any new movies or TV shows I have added.

It is worth a look
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-10-31, 10:46 AM

@bimbamboom, do you get the disconnects when watching DLNA content or when the connection is idle? Do you have AllShare installed as well?

I tried Serviio on the weekend with a LN40D550 Samsung TV with the 2Wire router and it worked OK. I watched a 45 minute SD TV show with no disconnects. I installed AllShare first and it worked OK, but I had problems when both services were running.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-10-31, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Dr. Dave, the disconnects stopped when I assigned my Samsung blu-ray a static address. Now I can watch content from my PC even when downloading torrents. I can't really say why a static IP would make a difference, since my DHCP had been set to 1 week renewal. And I'm still using Serviio.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2011-10-31, 12:32 PM

Glad to hear you got it working. My test was with DHCP direct to the TV and no other activity on the network.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in