Unlocked Rogers 9700 on MTS? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-29, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Unlocked Rogers 9700 on MTS?

Good morning.

I would like to unlock my 9700 and give to my father in Brandon. He only wants voice, no data as his current phone is starting to fail and he doesn't want to sign a contract. Will the 9700 work on MTS? I read elsewhere that some carriers do not support EDGE or other settings and then I read about frequencies, but I just want to know if the phone will work, and with MTS being a provincial provider there isn't much info on the internet that I've found.

Thanks,

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-29, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Further to this, I am thinking of getting the Nexus S (or Prime if I wait long enough), finishing my contract with Rogers and then taking the phone over to MTS and getting in on their unlimited data plan. Is this a possibility? Reason I ask in the same thread is because of frequencies and HSPA+ and all that stuff that I do not understand.

Thanks again.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-29, 11:01 AM

The new MTS 4G HSPA+ network uses 850/1900 MHz frequencies. Any unlocked phone that supports those frequencies should work. Your Rogers Blackberry should be compatible. You can check your user guide to be absolutely sure that your phone supports those frequencies. It won't work on the the MTS CDMA network that your father currently uses.

Here are a couple of other things to keep in mind. Your father would have to change to the 4G network and I don't think MTS offers voice-only plans on the 4G network yet. You can use the MTS on-line chat to check with them for sure.

You will also need an MTS SIM to use the 9700 on the MTS 4G network, so there may be a one-time activation or SIM charge.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-29, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Dr. Dave.

I did speak with MTS on the weekend and the lady at the Grant Park mall said it would work, but I've had trouble with front line staff before and wanted to be sure. She did not mention anything about not allowing voice only, but I did not ask either. I guess most people with a BlackBerry hook up to data so I understand the assumption. Guess I have to call MTS and inquire just to be sure. Or find this online chat you mention.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Hooking up BlackBerry on MTS

Called MTS about hooking my father up with my old BlackBerry, and they said they would only do it if he signed up for data (he only wants voice). Said it was something on RIM's side that prevented them from using it with voice only. I'm pretty sure a friend of mine had a BlackBerry hooked up to Telus with voice only. Am I getting shafted here? Shouldn't you just be able to put in a SIM card and get voice?

Thanks,

Kelly
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-31, 04:27 PM
Veteran

If you can get MTS to sell you a SIM card, you can just pop it in the BlackBerry and use it for voice-only service. They are probably referring to needing a BIS-enabled data plan if you are wanting to use a BlackBerry (which would be required for data services - not voice).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-31, 06:50 PM

Last I heard, all the MTS 4G plans (which use SIM cards) are voice and data. There aren't any voice-only plans on the 4G network.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-08-01, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

I wasn't aware that their 4G network was voice & data only. I would have thought (and perhaps that's a bad assumption on my end) that they would offer full service on their new network and not require people to use the old CDMA network. So the whole line about RIM requiring it is BS huh?

Does anyone have any reason why they made this requirement?

Again, thanks for everyone's help and info!

Kelly
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-08-01, 12:45 PM

My guess is they don't want to clutter up the 4G network with voice-only plans since there's no advantage to being on the 4G network if you're making a voice call. There are a few exceptions such as yours, but those would be relatively rare. They make up for it on the other end by offering unlimited data and tethering on the iPhone for a reasonable price.

Since MTS plans to run both networks for the foreseeable future, they can balance the networks and use them to the best advantage.

My guess the CSR was right in the sense if MTS requires a data plan, then the data has to go through RIM if you have a BB.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in