MTS Internet Speed Discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

There is definitely something going on as my Lighting plan has been far exceeding the downstream amount for about a month now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 10:58 AM

I'm still getting the "normal" speeds on Lightning with Ultimate TV.

Real-world results are VERY consistent at 7.5 Mbps down on ftp://ftp.mts.net/ and 2 Mbps up on Google docs measured with Windows Task Manager. (about 945K Bytes/sec down, 245K Bytes/sec up).

I've used these real-world tests for over a year and they're much more accurate and much more consistent than speedtest.net.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-08-17, 05:33 PM

Wow, what plan gets you those speeds?!

Yeah, my upstream was always 100% consistent at 1.85 Mbps until Tuesday afternoon. On the weekend, I had an outage (MTS had turned off my entire service accidentally) then they moved me to a different box outside Monday to get my service going. My speeds were perfect Monday, but then Tuesday is when the upstream went down, in the late afternoon, and it's been the same.

It's not a HUGE drop, but from 1.85 Mbps to inconsistent 1.0 - 1.36 Mbps with every test.

On my iTouch I was able to get 215 KBs (which is close to 1.8 Mbps) once, but that was it. Downstream is better than ever though, and my margins seem very good (no errors showing on the box, margins are better than I ever had), so it seems like maybe something from the box on the street going out?

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 05:57 PM
Rookie

When my upstream dropped they found a poor connection outside my house. The upstream on my connection profile, according to the Actiontec modem, was only 512kbps. It should have been around 860 or so. Supposedly if there's communication issues on the line the connection profile automatically drops to a lower rate.

See if you can find out what yours is.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 03:17 PM

Thanks EW.
I have an appointment for a tech to come by this afternoon...
But, as of last night, during that huge storm, my upstream started working properly again, and it's still fine this morning.

(This is the lightning plan on regular MTS TV)

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tags
mts internet , mts internet speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in