MTS Internet Price Decrease for Bolt and Super Max - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-02, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

MTS Internet Price Decrease for Bolt and Super Max

The regular price of MTS High Speed Internet Lightning Bolt plan is going from $84.95 a month to $57 a month. (First 3 months $40/month for new customers).
This package leverages any unused bandwidth not used by the MTS Ultimate TV Service to be used for Internet up to 32 Mbps.

The regular price of MTS High Speed Internet Lightning Super Max plan is going from $99.95 a month to $80 a month. (First 3 months $50/month) Up to 25 Mbps

The prices are before bundling discounts and will automatically take effect on the June bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-02, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

I noticed that Lightning Max and Bolt are now the same price (after the 3 month promo). So if you have or want Ultimate TV, this seems like an obvious upgrade.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-02, 11:55 PM

So what is the better one to choose ... Max that gives you 15 Mps ALL the time or Bolt that COULD give you 32 Mps IF you Ultimate is not running.

What kind of speeds would you get is Ultimate is running with 2 HD feeds and 1 SD speed. Is it LOWER then the 15 Mps?

I have Lighting now but have recently bought a Boxee Box to stream content to my big screen TV. I was considering increasing my bandwith, now I'm not sure which one to go to.

Has anyone run a speed test that has Bolt?? and have you run it with Ultimate on and off?

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Lightning Max and Bolt would both use the same line as Ultimate TV and Ultimate TV has priority. So Max would never give you more bandwidth than Bolt.

According to my calculations, 2HD/1SD would take about 16 Mbps, which leaves 16 Mbps for internet (assuming you have a 32 Mbps line). If you have fewer TV streams in use, more bandwidth would be dynamically allocated to internet.

Here's a link to a Bolt speedtest (32.9 Mbps down).
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 07:52 AM

Are the rumours true? Are they going to push Bolt now because they finally have their bandwidth tracking system in place to enforce caps?

Ugh. I hope not.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

I think MTS lowered their prices in response to Shaw's changes that were announced about a week earlier. MTS' unbundled prices are $2 cheaper than what they consider the comparable Shaw plan. So MTS is pricing Bolt to compete with Shaw's 25 Mbps Extreme.

MTS states on their web site that they don't currently enforce caps. I think if they do enforce them, MTS will probably do the same as Shaw does on the legacy internet plans and "suggest" a higher plan if you consistently go over the cap.

I don't have any inside info on MTS' plans - these are just my opinions based on the competitive marketplace.That's the only reason I mention Shaw. If anyone wants to compare MTS and Shaw, here is the thread.

Super Max only makes sense in Winnipeg if you don't have Ultimate TV.

According to their web site, MTS doesn't offer Bolt in FTTH communities like Selkirk, so I think they're going to have to address that discrepancy.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2011-06-10 at 11:35 AM.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 01:26 PM

By what you stated the MAXIMUM speed of a line is only 32Mps.

So on that basis if I signed up for the MAX plan (advertised as up to 15Mps) and I have Ultimate TV and if my line did not support the full 32Mps (for whatever reason) that I would never get the 15Mps that I was paying for??

What if I wanted the Super MAX service and I have Ultimate TV?? There is no way for the line to give me the 25Mps that I was paying for - would they run in a separate line for my internet???
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 07:23 PM

Signed up last night. Went from basic Lightning to Bolt. I noticed browsing is faster, but you can only load a web page so fast before you fail to notice any improvement. Though I noticed that the internet is usable while having high download speeds on torrent files.

Did a speed check but was only getting around 10 last night, about 1.3 this evening.

They gave me the 3-month promotional price, but said I could not have the bundle discount. So I'm paying $3/month more for Bolt than with Lightning. See how it works for 3 months and then either pay the extra $10 after discount or drop back to Lightning.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 08:47 PM

I also went from Lightning to Bolt yesterday and I am getting between 12 mbps to 20 mbps its really much faster then lightning. I just wish mts would offer faster upload speed.

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Hydrant Mike, if you were very far from the node, the slowest line speed you would get for Ultimate TV is 28 Mbps AFAIK. You would still get the full 15 Mbps in every situation unless you had all TV streams active (2HD/1SD). Any other combination would still leave at least 15 Mbps free for internet.

re: Super Max - the fine print indicates that this is a dedicated VDSL2 line. That's why Super Max is more expensive that Bolt. I don't know if they offer Super Max if you have Ultimate TV or if they say the fastest you can get is Bolt (which is a lot cheaper).

GraphicsPro, How may HD and SD TV streams were active when you did your speed test? What else was running? If you had any torrents running, the speed test is meaningless since the torrents could use all your bandwidth.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-04, 06:15 PM

Do you require any additional hardware or installation for Bolt, aside for having the Ultimate TV setup? Like, if I called Monday morning to start a 3-month trial, would they need to schedule an appointment or is it just "flipping a switch" on their end? Anyone know?
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-04, 07:37 PM

basicly all they need to do is change your profile which is done on their end. and you get the speed increase

post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-04, 07:37 PM

Dr. Dave, I did not have any TV shows playing, both cable boxes were off. It was better this morning, around 10 down and 1 up. Last night I had a torrent reach 1Mbit down, whereas the fastest I saw previously was 700ish. Right now on Speedtest.net I'm barely getting above 1.5 down. MTS seems to be fairly inconsistent and unstable lately, even before switching to Bolt. On testmy.net I scored 108kbps down.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-04, 07:39 PM

graphics pro I would call them back and make sure your profile is set to lightning bolt they could have put you on the wrong profile by mistake. you should be getting 20 mbits and atleast 15 mbits at all time

post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-04, 08:43 PM
Rookie

I phoned to update from lightning to bolt while I was at work. They said it should be active within 5 minutes. When I got home speeds had not increased, even with a reboot of system. Phoned technical support and my profile had still not been updated. Once they updated it, speed change was immediate, averaging around 22 Mbps (16-28), so I would definitely phone and check with them. An increase in upload would be nice, but no difference currently.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in