MTS Internet Price Decrease for Bolt and Super Max - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-14, 07:43 AM

Went for the Bolt last night - have no idea what I'm being charged, but in was in celebration of the fact that it rained yesterday, and none of my services went down!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-15, 11:42 AM

MTS is funny...you can't upgrade to any kind of faster plan (from Lightning) unless you have MTS tv as well. (Well..you can go to Max or whatever for over 80 bills a month....)

It's ridiculous the lack of choice MTS offers in the in their internet plans. The small modems used with the Lightning plans can support speeds up to 25 Mbps.
Why they feel the need to force MTS tv on people to upgrade internet plans is just bad business.
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-15, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

@Demon_96, since DSL speed decreases the farther you are from the other modem, an ADSL modem would probably have to be right next to the central office to get 25 Mbps.

Speeds faster than Lightning (7.5 Mbps) use VDSL2 modems and the VDSL2 Fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) network that MTS spent hundreds of millions building for the TV service. Part of the monthly fee for TV goes to pay for that network. If you don't get TV, then you have to pay for the FTTN network on your internet bill.

post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-20, 05:16 PM

I have some serious envy going on looking at the plans Shaw is going to be rolling out in the fall, specifically the 50 mbps down and 5 mbps up for $60 a month, and there are also 100 mbps and 250 mbps down plans. Just wondering what MTS might do to try and compete if they are currently hitting a ceiling at 32 mbps down.
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 10:10 AM

Good luck ever getting sustained speeds like that from Shaw - everything I've ever witnessed from cable that claims those speeds is usually based on their "Speedboost" technology - which means you get about 10 seconds of 100 mbps, and then you settle in around 15 mbps for the rest of the time.
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Let's keep the thread on topic please. There is an active forum here to discuss Shaw internet.

MTS have already announced that all new housing developments in Winnipeg will be FTTH and there are 25 other communities that are scheduled for FTTH. This will certainly give them the capability to match any speeds that a cable TV infrastructure can provide. They also indicated that they would use FTTH for any Winnipeg neighborhoods that required a rebuild due to age, but that would take place after 2013.

The existing VDSL2 infrastructure that MTS has in Winnipeg, Brandon and Portage can probably be tweaked a bit, but performance would depend on the distance from the fibre node. For example, I'm about 700 feet from the node and my modem reports an error-free rate of 60 Mbps, even though my profile is limited to 32 Mbps. Pair-bonding is another possibility.

I wonder about the actual usefulness of a line speed faster than 32 Mbps in the current environment. It's nice to have, but I don't think many people would notice the difference. There are certainly a few very heavy users that will appreciate any speed increase and any network infrastructure has to accommodate higher speeds as the way we use the internet changes.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2011-06-21 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Correction
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the info Dr. Dave.

I think the main efforts from MTS will focus on pair bonding as it will be many years before FTTH is wide spread enough to be really marketted as an alternative to xDSL technology. I would also not be surprised to see a newer DSL techonolgy come out that will boost speeds further.

I am looking forward to geting the Bolt service a try to see if the extra speed really give me any added value.
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I am looking forward to geting the Bolt service a try to see if the extra speed really give me any added value.
Did you ever end up moving to Bolt?

I'm unclear as to what my pricing is or will be, as I haven't gotten a bill reflecting the change yet... but I'm certainly happy with the speeds!

Seeing as (so far) my services haven't dropped in close to a month makes me happy too.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2011-07-11 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Shortened quote
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-07-10, 02:57 PM

Would somebody suggest options for me. I have MTS high speed DSL and it costs 47 dollars a month. It tests at 4 download and .5 upload because I don't have MTS TV so I can't get a higher speed from MTS without MTS TV. My building does not allow MTS TV or it is unavailable due to a contract with Shaw. I live at Donald and Broadway. I don't have cable TV and my phone is MTS landline. I pay 101 a month with 5 dollar long distance and an MTS phone.

Edit: I just checked and my bill is 47 dollars for the HS1 lightning plan. DL 4 and UL .5 is real lightning.

Last edited by llcarlos; 2011-07-10 at 03:10 PM. Reason: price accuracy
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

@llcarlos, you should still be able to get Super Max at that location. You may also be able to get Bolt if the reason you can't get MTS TV is because of a building management dispute. You can look up your address on the MTS web site to see which plans are available.

If you really want MTS TV, you can follow up with MTS and building management to see what the issue is. I know someone that took on one of the largest property management companies in Winnipeg that had an exclusive contract with Look TV. She wrote to the CRTC and the property manager backed down. If you only need 1 TV, you would only use MTS lines and wouldn't use any coax lines (which Shaw may own).

P.S. If you have MTS internet, you can get the Total Home Phone package and probably save some money.
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 10:42 AM

Just a quick note about this - Shaw would only "own" the coax running between units. You are pretty much free to do whatever you want to the coax inside your apartment - I know from experience, having moved from Shaw to MTS in an apartment building downtown.

I can't see how a building could keep MTS out - if you have an MTS phone line, you should be able to get MTS Ultimate TV (and therefore the faster internet speeds available).

But if internet speeds are important (and being capped or throttled isn't a big deal), then perhaps Shaw is your best bet in this situation.
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 04:19 PM

Dr. Dave, I have MTS total home package, 5 dollar long distance and calling features. It's $43.50 with the rental phone. The MTS modem is an old Speedstream 5200. Maybe MTS has a better modem or can upgrade without me having ultimate TV. Thanks.

I have 2 MTS phone lines but one is not activated. MTS won't tell me why, they just say ultimate TV is unavailable at 120 Donald St.

Mozza I'm researching if a higher speed would improve my game play and surfing. If it would then I can always just switch to Shaw for a 6 month deal and then switch to MTS for a 6 month deal. etc.
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 07:25 PM

@Mozza - I still have not jumped on Bolt however it is on my list of things to do.

@llcarlos - You may want to try contacting tech support and get them to check on your line quality as you seem to be under the expected speeds. I thought the current target was 7.5 down and 1-2 up with tv customers getting an unadvertised boost over that. Line quality could also be causing lots of dropped packets which would be hurting your gaming performance.
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 10:09 PM

The Down is up today after I called MTS CS but they couldn't help me so I sent tech an e-mail.
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 11:32 PM

llcarlos, your building might not be within spec for eligibility for ultimate tv. Possibly either distance or "bridge taps" between the building and the central office. Glad to hear they bumped up the line profile.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in